DW Stadium

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: DW Stadium

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve heard the rumour about us being interested in Bolton’s ground!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:20 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:59 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Yes they did it was and always has been a legal requirement from rfl for all clubs in sl have a contract legally binding to prove they have a ground to fulfill all home fixtures without written proof of this Wigan and and any other sl club would be thrown out. I will also add there was never any discussion with leigh to play first home game there and that is 100% fact
How could the new owners agree a rent with the Warriors before they bought the stadium? Are you telling me that they honoured the agreement that IFL had with the previous owners? Next question, if it is the case that the RFL require SL clubs to have a binding contract to play fulfil all their home games then why did we take a CC tie to Leigh? Finally, we did discuss with both Leigh and Bolton playing our first game this season at one of their grounds as there was an impasse with the new owners.
Last edited by keptinthedarkfans on Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
keptinthedarkfans

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:51 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:59 pm
How could the new owners agree a rent with the Warriors before they bought the stadium? Are you telling me that they honoured the agreement that IFL had with the previous owners? Next question, if it is the case that the RFL require SL clubs to have a binding contract to play fulfil all their home games then why did we take a CC tie to Leigh? Finally, we did discuss with both Leigh and Bolton playing our first game this season at one of their grounds as there was an impasse with the new owners.
Yes I am telling you. Wigan as sitting tenants and included in lease had to be included in the purchase of stadium so a rent was agreed before they bought it. As for playing at other grounds they have taken games on the road many times
but they have to submit a home ground to sl standard to fill
criteria Believe what you want.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:59 am

Yes I am telling you. Wigan as sitting tenants and included in lease had to be included in the purchase of stadium so a rent was agreed before they bought it. As for playing at other grounds they have taken games on the road many times
I believe what I was told by one of the club's directors.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:54 am

I'm assuming the tenancy was with Wigan Football club ltd (stadium holding company). i appreciate that was DW and the latics were primarily the owners with the metro also holding a stake and that the sale of the ground was also part of the Latics administration. If that tenancy was for 50 years, would we have needed to renegotiate the terms as we already had a legally binding contract? Just because the new owner may not have liked the terms of that agreement, surely we could have insisted that it remained as it was?
keptinthedarkfans

the pieman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:54 am
I'm assuming the tenancy was with Wigan Football club ltd (stadium holding company). i appreciate that was DW and the latics were primarily the owners with the metro also holding a stake and that the sale of the ground was also part of the Latics administration. If that tenancy was for 50 years, would we have needed to renegotiate the terms as we already had a legally binding contract? Just because the new owner may not have liked the terms of that agreement, surely we could have insisted that it remained as it was?
Correct and was a reason the metro would not sell or negotiate lease of stadium land
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Warriors will leave, the plan a couple of years ago was to have a new stadium a bit like Bolton's, IE retail park around the ground, units on land owned by Wigan... charge companies rent to put their business in the units and that would cover the majority of the cost over time.

I'm sure the plan will have changed but I'm not privy to it
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:59 pm Warriors will leave, the plan a couple of years ago was to have a new stadium a bit like Bolton's, IE retail park around the ground, units on land owned by Wigan... charge companies rent to put their business in the units and that would cover the majority of the cost over time.

I feel they need to,while some will jump on posts like this and argue the point a club doesn’t need to own it’s own stadium I’ve always felt it should,look at the issues Hull are clearly having with their masters of the stadium it can easily happen to Wigan.

That said owning a stadium is a huge asset otherwise what are Wigan really?a few tackle bags and fancy gym equipment and a long lease at robin park,it can’t Instill confidence if they ever looked for investment?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:59 pm Warriors will leave, the plan a couple of years ago was to have a new stadium a bit like Bolton's, IE retail park around the ground, units on land owned by Wigan... charge companies rent to put their business in the units and that would cover the majority of the cost over time.

I feel they need to,while some will jump on posts like this and argue the point a club doesn’t need to own it’s own stadium I’ve always felt it should,look at the issues Hull are clearly having with their masters of the stadium it can easily happen to Wigan.

That said owning a stadium is a huge asset otherwise what are Wigan really?a few tackle bags and fancy gym equipment and a long lease at robin park,it can’t Instill confidence if they ever looked for investment?
Danson is onboard for a reason, what that reason is, nobody knows. he's part of Lenegans company as it stands but it is 100% related to the Warriors.

The dream for me is I would love to see a stadium a bit like the Keepmoat (Doncaster) but on a slightly larger scale capacity wise and slightly more enclosed with seats closer to the pitch to give it that intimidating feel. Will probably never happen. The DW is too open for me.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:15 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Danson is onboard for a reason, what that reason is, nobody knows. he's part of Lenegans company as it stands but it is 100% related to the Warriors.

The dream for me is I would love to see a stadium a bit like the Keepmoat (Doncaster) but on a slightly larger scale capacity wise and slightly more enclosed with seats closer to the pitch to give it that intimidating feel. Will probably never happen. The DW is too open for me.
I agree even the Haliwell Jones would do along those lines the DW is a collection of stands nothing more and it feels like a football ground,your right though the Keepmoat does seem to have great atmosphere the times I’ve been to it

Danson as you say has come on board for a reason,other than not to bankroll the playing side I do feel they made a serious play for the DW when they couldn’t find a buyer and maybe it’s led to this friction,just a guess in my part though.