Michael Maguire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 am
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am
thegimble wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:03 am

We should have gone for Demitrioux but got shafted by Edwards. Give Wane the job having his shadow looking over will cause issues. Wane is not an office worker.
As of now Wane's role is part time, he wont be there on a day to day basis.
Why did the club not mention this at the fans forum?

Conflict of interest with England job and needs to be kept on the down low?
I don't think his role has been fully finalised for next season, but he is currently involved with certain aspects of that role that have already been agreed.

There is no conflict of interest, But my own personal opinion is nothing has been confirmed / role not fully agreed yet because if Wane turned round and said he wanted the Head Coach job, he'd get it.
First Try Tickle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:15 am

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by First Try Tickle »

Wane will not be getting the head coaches job even if it he wants it. IL said he will not go back to a coach he has been here before, so I suppose that rules out Madge too.

I don't think IL was keen on the rugby Wane played and realized crowds were falling even though we could still win a grand final.
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm Somebody needs to knock this club into shape.
Because he's done an amazing job at West tigers? I honestly think people have Rose tinted glasses when it comes to Maguire. He had some amazing players that we wouldn't fit under the cap and he created the structured defence based tactics we have used since (or maybe Wane did as assistant who knows)

There is no doubt around what he did but the player pool he had was brilliant and I'm not sure he could do the same again even if allowed to sign who he wanted within cap.
He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
DaveO
Posts: 15010
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm Somebody needs to knock this club into shape.
Because he's done an amazing job at West tigers? I honestly think people have Rose tinted glasses when it comes to Maguire. He had some amazing players that we wouldn't fit under the cap and he created the structured defence based tactics we have used since (or maybe Wane did as assistant who knows)

There is no doubt around what he did but the player pool he had was brilliant and I'm not sure he could do the same again even if allowed to sign who he wanted within cap.
He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
"Failing" by winning Challenge Cup! :roll: Which if you read the fans forum minutes is the prize IL covets the most.
DaveO
Posts: 15010
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm Somebody needs to knock this club into shape.
Because he's done an amazing job at West tigers? I honestly think people have Rose tinted glasses when it comes to Maguire. He had some amazing players that we wouldn't fit under the cap and he created the structured defence based tactics we have used since (or maybe Wane did as assistant who knows)

There is no doubt around what he did but the player pool he had was brilliant and I'm not sure he could do the same again even if allowed to sign who he wanted within cap.
That standard of Rugby played in both attack and defence was streets ahead of anything we have seen after he left and Wane also had the benefit of very strong squads plus inherited what Madge had set up. The idea Wane may have set up these tactics reads as nothing more than an attempt to discredit Madge suggesting it was Wane who was behind it when Wane couldn't wait to tell us all he'd like to do things differently - so how does that work?
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am

Because he's done an amazing job at West tigers? I honestly think people have Rose tinted glasses when it comes to Maguire. He had some amazing players that we wouldn't fit under the cap and he created the structured defence based tactics we have used since (or maybe Wane did as assistant who knows)

There is no doubt around what he did but the player pool he had was brilliant and I'm not sure he could do the same again even if allowed to sign who he wanted within cap.
He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
"Failing" by winning Challenge Cup! :roll: Which if you read the fans forum minutes is the prize IL covets the most.
You have to win like 2 random matches to get that trophy. We had the best squad I. The league and should have won it all. His head wasn't in it in season 2.
pedro
Posts: 4700
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm

He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
"Failing" by winning Challenge Cup! :roll: Which if you read the fans forum minutes is the prize IL covets the most.
You have to win like 2 random matches to get that trophy. We had the best squad I. The league and should have won it all. His head wasn't in it in season 2.
if its that easy how come weve hardly won it in the last 10 years?
WarriorRoss11
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:08 am

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by WarriorRoss11 »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm

He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
"Failing" by winning Challenge Cup! :roll: Which if you read the fans forum minutes is the prize IL covets the most.
You have to win like 2 random matches to get that trophy. We had the best squad I. The league and should have won it all. His head wasn't in it in season 2.
What a stupid statement, we beat Warrington Saints and Leeds in consecutive rounds that year, give your head a wobble
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3065
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:53 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm

He failed in year 2 with an even better squad than in year 1.
"Failing" by winning Challenge Cup! :roll: Which if you read the fans forum minutes is the prize IL covets the most.
You have to win like 2 random matches to get that trophy. We had the best squad I. The league and should have won it all. His head wasn't in it in season 2.
Oh dear

3 wins in last 20 years suggests otherwise.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg
Posts: 2811
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Michael Maguire

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm Somebody needs to knock this club into shape.
Because he's done an amazing job at West tigers? I honestly think people have Rose tinted glasses when it comes to Maguire. He had some amazing players that we wouldn't fit under the cap and he created the structured defence based tactics we have used since (or maybe Wane did as assistant who knows)

There is no doubt around what he did but the player pool he had was brilliant and I'm not sure he could do the same again even if allowed to sign who he wanted within cap.
That standard of Rugby played in both attack and defence was streets ahead of anything we have seen after he left and Wane also had the benefit of very strong squads plus inherited what Madge had set up. The idea Wane may have set up these tactics reads as nothing more than an attempt to discredit Madge suggesting it was Wane who was behind it when Wane couldn't wait to tell us all he'd like to do things differently - so how does that work?
I am not discrediting Madge but we don't know how involved Wane was. You yourself have said you don't want Matty Peet because he's been around a while but if he's not involved in the current style how would you know what he's like works both ways.

It's also not true that Wane inheritaded what madge had set up is it, when madge left his took key players with him, others had also retired, you say I'm discrediting madge, your discrediting Wane.

Madges first season was streets ahead but we will never see a team of that standard under the salary cap again, he inherited some under performing but brilliant players and brought some talent with him that left the moment he did.

My point is Madge is not the answer, if he becomes available it's because of how bad he had done at the tigers. It would be the equivalent of us hiring John Duffy but from the NRL.
The Turkeys voted for Christmas.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices

George Orwell
Post Reply