Jacob Miller

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
southportcdm

Re: Jacob Miller

Post by southportcdm »

I've not always been Miller's greatest fan but, under the difficult circumstances of Field's first season, I think MIller is a better option for us than Jai if decides to stay in Aus. I know he has a contract and it would have to be his decision to stay at home but the poor bloke can't have enjoyed last year too much and if somebody offered him a chance to return to the NRL I could understand him taking it. Obviously if we could fit them both under the quota that would be even better.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:34 am
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 am

Not too sure where we stand if I'm being totally honest.

French, Field, Isa, Ellis, Mago, Miski, Clark.

I had thought Clark had to leave before Miller comes in. However I was told we were waiting on Wakefield before we could sign Miller, we must be waiting on both if we already have 7 spots taken
Cheers Dan, I'm not 100% sure on the rule now either - we have Leuleui as well, IIRC in the old days maybe Isa and Tommy would be exempt due to their length of time in the UK. I guess Clark would be the one to miss out.
I thought Clark was born in Yorkshire? Does that not mean he is technically British? 🤔
No he is non-federation trained, the rule has nothing to do with a players nationality. Tommy needs to be added to the above list therefore, in order to get Miller in, we would need to free up two quota spots. Whether Miller comes or not one of the above players needs to leave unless the rules are going to change.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I don’t think Clark counts on the overseas quota. He was born in England and has kiwi heritage, Harrison Hansen was the same and he wasn’t counted in the quota
Charriots Offiah

Barney841 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:26 pm I don’t think Clark counts on the overseas quota. He was born in England and has kiwi heritage, Harrison Hansen was the same and he wasn’t counted in the quota
The rules have changed where a player is born has nothing to do with it.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 am
I thought Clark was born in Yorkshire? Does that not mean he is technically British? 🤔
Yeh, I think your right, according to Wikipedia Mitch was born in Pontefract. So......maybe he stays then ...or not :lol:
pedro

Post by pedro »

is it not where your first rugby so is trained "non federation trained"
Charriots Offiah

The rule is as follows:

A non-federation player is a player who was not trained by an RLEF (Rugby League European Federation) member club for three years before the age of 21, so it matters not whether a player was born in Wigan or Outer Mongolia. Each club is allowed seven non-federation players, Wigan has eight: French, Miski, Field, Leuluai, Ellis, Mago, Isa and Clark, therefore one has to leave. In order to bring Miller in, one of the remaining seven would have to move on.
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

Tommy is listed on the R L register in 2019 as ' NFT trained ( Board Exemption ) but may still count as oversees player. :roll: :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Another example of a stupid rule, it shouldn't matter where they trained for me only if they are currently eligible as a UK Citizen or not.

It's amazing isn't that this rule exists but you can play for England is your Nans third cousin is from Yorkshire somewhere
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am Another example of a stupid rule, it shouldn't matter where they trained for me only if they are currently eligible as a UK Citizen or not.

It's amazing isn't that this rule exists but you can play for England is your Nans third cousin is from Yorkshire somewhere
But wouldn’t that mean a player born in England but leaves when he’s 1 year old isn’t counted on the quota

But a player born abroad, moves here when he’s 1 is counted on the quota.

Both extreme scenarios but I think the rule needs updating / reviewing a little bit. Seems harsh for Tommy to count after 12 years in super league?

For the record, I hate that you can represent a country based on grand parents. It should stop at the parents imo
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."