Zak Hardaker’s future ‘up in the air’ as new twist develops

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
nathan_rugby

Re: Zak Hardaker’s future ‘up in the air’ as new twist develops

Post by nathan_rugby »

Just because people at the club think Thornley is a worthwhile signing doesn’t mean we should then give Hankinson a chance…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:32 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:58 pm The fact Hardaker has even brought commute up as a reason to leave is ridiculous.

His partner has now piped up on twitter in response to an Ozzie players other half by saying how hard it is for pro sports peoples families.

These lot don’t know they are born. They are doing a highly paid job many would give their eye teeth for and plenty of young couples don’t have grandparents on the doorstep if that’s the issue. I’ve done it and for a lot longer than two years and when I left Uni I went where the work was (London).

In Hardaker’s case he’s got a maximum of two years left on his contract at a club that rehabilitated his career. It’s not a life sentence.

He should just move back to Wigan to rent and him and his other half grow up and stop whinging.
Bang on davo
I said the same in an earlier post. It’s easier he lives in Wigan & the family travel over you don’t have to live on each other’s doorstep ffs!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:15 am
Firestarter wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:32 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:58 pm The fact Hardaker has even brought commute up as a reason to leave is ridiculous.

His partner has now piped up on twitter in response to an Ozzie players other half by saying how hard it is for pro sports peoples families.

These lot don’t know they are born. They are doing a highly paid job many would give their eye teeth for and plenty of young couples don’t have grandparents on the doorstep if that’s the issue. I’ve done it and for a lot longer than two years and when I left Uni I went where the work was (London).

In Hardaker’s case he’s got a maximum of two years left on his contract at a club that rehabilitated his career. It’s not a life sentence.

He should just move back to Wigan to rent and him and his other half grow up and stop whinging.
Bang on davo
I said the same in an earlier post. It’s easier he lives in Wigan & the family travel over you don’t have to live on each other’s doorstep ffs!
Or live somewhere halfway

Or Zak gets a very cheap rental where he can stay a few nights a week to break things up
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 am Just because people at the club think Thornley is a worthwhile signing doesn’t mean we should then give Hankinson a chance…
But that is the "standard" of player we are recruiting now. Big. slow with a less than average skill-set. Hankisnon offers goals and if it is to be believed that the new coaching regime can get 20% more from the players, why do you assume the same cannot be said of Hankinson?

BTW I am not raging Hankinson fan but thought he was nowhere near as bad as made out to be by some, even though asked to play wing when clearly he was not fast enough to play wing
Back by demand.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Reality is, if both Thornley and Hankinson are to sport Wigan shirts next season, they both have lots to prove!

The argument that Hankinson's ability to slot a conversion (which is quite fair), warrants him starting, doesn't sit well with me!

I would imagine and only imagine, Lee Briers, Harry Smith and Zak Hardaker will be working on conversions and general play kicking!

Presuming Zak is staying (AND HE SHOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO WIGAN, DOMESTIC SITUATION OR NOT!), what will Hankinson (who didn't establish himself at all when opportunity came) offer over Thornley? Does Peet see something in him Lam didn't?
pedro

Post by pedro »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:31 pm Reality is, if both Thornley and Hankinson are to sport Wigan shirts next season, they both have lots to prove!

The argument that Hankinson's ability to slot a conversion (which is quite fair), warrants him starting, doesn't sit well with me!

I would imagine and only imagine, Lee Briers, Harry Smith and Zak Hardaker will be working on conversions and general play kicking!

Presuming Zak is staying (AND HE SHOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO WIGAN, DOMESTIC SITUATION OR NOT!), what will Hankinson (who didn't establish himself at all when opportunity came) offer over Thornley? Does Peet see something in him Lam didn't?
he played well until his injury and never got a shot after
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:28 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:31 pm Reality is, if both Thornley and Hankinson are to sport Wigan shirts next season, they both have lots to prove!

Did he? I remember him being okay and that's about it.

I presume if he's still at wigan 2022 he will have a pre season to try and show something for a place.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:34 am
pedro wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:28 am

Did he? I remember him being okay and that's about it.

I presume if he's still at wigan 2022 he will have a pre season to try and show something for a place.
similar to Bibby and Zak at centre then? But they warrant their place?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd have Hankinson back.
That he wasn't given a chance by Lam is indicative of the coaches fixation with various players and IMO not a criticism of CH.

That we will have a better season 2022 than 2021 is something I'm utterly convinced about.
There are various components to that and having players playing in their best positions is a massive one.
That Thornley has been signed as a left centre to replace Gildart seems very sensible. Likewise Hankinson can play right centre and can pass to the right. He is obviously a very good goalkicker something that was a major problem last year. Alternative centres don't seem available in abundance so go with what we've got.

Backs of French, Miski, Hankinson, Thornley, Marshall, Field and Smith is a very capable one with pace no other SL club can remotely compete with.
Forwards now include Ellis and Mago to add size, mobility and (we are told) long minutes. Again something that was lacking last season.

Zac seems determined to leave so I don't see a problem in allowing him to go. After all, what's the point of keeping a player who doesn't want to play for you when there are plenty on the books who do? He can and will be replaced as is normal for any club when players leave for whatever reason.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

How many games did we lose through our rubbish goal kicking?