Return of the sarg

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pedro
Posts: 4700
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am I hate to say I told you so, but I did say recruitment for 2022 would be underwhelming. Focus was on spending ££'s next year on the playing squad rather than spending ££'s covering losses, so this next season unfortunately will suffer.

I've not heard anything to suggest the plan has changed, If anything though it will be worse and this season and next season will suffer if crowds don't improve.
how can we do that when the dross we have signed this year are on more than 1 year contracts,
Barney841
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Barney841 »

The whole resigning of former players is making a mockery of the club, can’t they see that.
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am I hate to say I told you so, but I did say recruitment for 2022 would be underwhelming. Focus was on spending ££'s next year on the playing squad rather than spending ££'s covering losses, so this next season unfortunately will suffer.

I've not heard anything to suggest the plan has changed, If anything though it will be worse and this season and next season will suffer if crowds don't improve.
how can we do that when the dross we have signed this year are on more than 1 year contracts,
Move them on for free to other clubs if they don't cut it, if they do cut it and surprise us then they will stay.
pedro
Posts: 4700
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am
pedro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am I hate to say I told you so, but I did say recruitment for 2022 would be underwhelming. Focus was on spending ££'s next year on the playing squad rather than spending ££'s covering losses, so this next season unfortunately will suffer.

I've not heard anything to suggest the plan has changed, If anything though it will be worse and this season and next season will suffer if crowds don't improve.
how can we do that when the dross we have signed this year are on more than 1 year contracts,
Move them on for free to other clubs if they don't cut it, if they do cut it and surprise us then they will stay.
you cant move someone on who doesnt want to be moved
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am
pedro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am

how can we do that when the dross we have signed this year are on more than 1 year contracts,
Move them on for free to other clubs if they don't cut it, if they do cut it and surprise us then they will stay.
you cant move someone on who doesnt want to be moved
If a player is told he will not be played, they will leave. they are not on big money as they are squad players. At other clubs they will be more than squad players so will probably get a better deal. No one will happily sit and not play especially for the wages they'll be on.
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Well I am going to buck the trend regarding the possible return of Sarge. I think that he will be a good signing. Yes there may be better players but they will command a much higher salary. The lad never gives less than 100%.
No straw damn us
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by No straw damn us »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am Well I am going to buck the trend regarding the possible return of Sarge. I think that he will be a good signing. Yes there may be better players but they will command a much higher salary. The lad never gives less than 100%.
I agree, one of the best ball running centres in Superleague and still only twenty-eight. Yes he is prone to a few errors but imo the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way. As Ted has already mentioned his carries out of deference are a massive contribution. The only other this he seems to have picked up a few injuries and suspensions this season?
User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by EagleEyePie »

Surely this isn't true? The club can't possibly be this obsessed with looking into the past rather than actually trying to find players who could benefit the squad in the future. We've brought Sarginson back once before and he wasn't as good as in his first time with the club and presumably was let go because he was on more money than he was really worth. One of the very best if you want a grafter but surely we need a bit more skill and flair given our other centre options. We're a squad of grafters and our centre options all look fairly solid and dependable but lack skill.

Besides, he's hardly been that impressive for Salford when I've seen him. Always plays well against us but still makes bad errors, still can't create anything for players outside him and, just like when he was here, his best games have come at fullback rather than at centre.
Barney841
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am Well I am going to buck the trend regarding the possible return of Sarge. I think that he will be a good signing. Yes there may be better players but they will command a much higher salary. The lad never gives less than 100%.
I agree that sarge does offer you something going forward. But come on! Resigning thornley and now sarge. One or the other at best. In what’s available these two are the best of the bunch?
pedro
Posts: 4700
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 am
pedro wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am

Move them on for free to other clubs if they don't cut it, if they do cut it and surprise us then they will stay.
you cant move someone on who doesnt want to be moved
If a player is told he will not be played, they will leave. they are not on big money as they are squad players. At other clubs they will be more than squad players so will probably get a better deal. No one will happily sit and not play especially for the wages they'll be on.
You won’t get 2 Aussies over here paying them nothing so they will be on good money, in order to leave someone will have to either match or beat their wages, no if they don’t get picked they still don’t need to leave as they get paid for sitting in the stands, probably thonleys last pro contact anyway as he’s not very good, if they aren’t being played who’s going to sign them? Does playing for Wigan automatically mean other clubs want to sign them?
Post Reply