Salary Cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
God2
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by God2 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am
Gaznier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:03 am How is this squad over cap 😯.

Whoever is handing out contracts needs binning
The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
So we finally disclosed Hastings as the second marquee?
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Dan2266 »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:58 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am
Gaznier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:03 am How is this squad over cap 😯.

Whoever is handing out contracts needs binning
The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
Would this explain the club's reticence in playing some of the young players eg O'Neill as they would have had to fork out more money due to appearances?
It would suggest that yes.
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Dan2266 »

God2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am
Gaznier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:03 am How is this squad over cap 😯.

Whoever is handing out contracts needs binning
The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
So we finally disclosed Hastings as the second marquee?
Im not sure who it was, it could of been anyone on over the amount we breached it by… which wasn't a lot. say it was £25k we could of just claimed a player on £30k as marquee
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm
God2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am

The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
So we finally disclosed Hastings as the second marquee?
Im not sure who it was, it could of been anyone on over the amount we breached it by… which wasn't a lot. say it was £25k we could of just claimed a player on £30k as marquee
Faz would have made more sense than Jacko.
DaveO
Posts: 15010
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by DaveO »

buttmonkey2 wrote:
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am
Gaznier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:03 am How is this squad over cap Image.

Whoever is handing out contracts needs binning
The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
Would this explain the club's reticence in playing some of the young players eg O'Neill as they would have had to fork out more money due to appearances?
It doesn’t work on appearances. A player has a salary cap value and it’s not appearance related.
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:13 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote:
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am

The main reason was we didn't disclose a 2nd Marquee, But obviously once we did, we were well under. Contracts improved during the season as well which due to covid was hard to manage IE a players wage is due to increase 15% after so many appearances. A lot of the young lads have those type clauses & we used a lot of them.
Would this explain the club's reticence in playing some of the young players eg O'Neill as they would have had to fork out more money due to appearances?
It doesn’t work on appearances. A player has a salary cap value and it’s not appearance related.
Thats the cap set by the RFL on squad value, theres a secondary cap (wages) which is the punishable cap.
DaveO
Posts: 15010
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:13 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Would this explain the club's reticence in playing some of the young players eg O'Neill as they would have had to fork out more money due to appearances?
It doesn’t work on appearances. A player has a salary cap value and it’s not appearance related.
Thats the cap set by the RFL on squad value, theres a secondary cap (wages) which is the punishable cap.
It doesn’t work like that.

The initial salary cap value is calculated based on the top 25 earners regardless if they play in a salary cap relevant match plus any other players who play in a salary cap relevant match unless they are under 21 on 31st August and earn less than £20k. The wording on this in the rules is a bit confusing but I am pretty certain that is what it means for under 21 players.

A non-top 25 earning player acquires a salary cap value as soon as you play him in a salary cap relevant match. So if O’Neil was contracted on say £24k a year and started playing half way through the year he’d get a salary cap value as soon as he played ONE salary cap relevant match.

His salary cap value would also be £24k not £12k despite only (potentially) playing in half the games.

So my contention is O’Neil either cost the club nothing on the cap because he earned less than £20k (I am assuming he was under 21 on August 31st I have not checked). Or if he earned more than £20k his full wage counted on the cap after he made his first appearance in a salary cap relevant match (assuming he wasn’t a top 25 earner and was already being counted on the cap which I am sure would not be the case).

Which means either way, how many games he played after his first one was irrelevant as far as the cap goes. Either he didn’t count at all or his full wage counted so the club would get no financial benefit from restricting his appearances.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3065
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:18 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm
God2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm

So we finally disclosed Hastings as the second marquee?
Im not sure who it was, it could of been anyone on over the amount we breached it by… which wasn't a lot. say it was £25k we could of just claimed a player on £30k as marquee
Faz would have made more sense than Jacko.
Why?

If we only needed to cover an extra few thousand it doesn’t really matter as long as whoever it was enabled the amount we had gone over to be covered.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3065
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:03 pm
Dan2266 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:13 pm
It doesn’t work on appearances. A player has a salary cap value and it’s not appearance related.
Thats the cap set by the RFL on squad value, theres a secondary cap (wages) which is the punishable cap.
It doesn’t work like that.

The initial salary cap value is calculated based on the top 25 earners regardless if they play in a salary cap relevant match plus any other players who play in a salary cap relevant match unless they are under 21 on 31st August and earn less than £20k. The wording on this in the rules is a bit confusing but I am pretty certain that is what it means for under 21 players.

A non-top 25 earning player acquires a salary cap value as soon as you play him in a salary cap relevant match. So if O’Neil was contracted on say £24k a year and started playing half way through the year he’d get a salary cap value as soon as he played ONE salary cap relevant match.

His salary cap value would also be £24k not £12k despite only (potentially) playing in half the games.

So my contention is O’Neil either cost the club nothing on the cap because he earned less than £20k (I am assuming he was under 21 on August 31st I have not checked). Or if he earned more than £20k his full wage counted on the cap after he made his first appearance in a salary cap relevant match (assuming he wasn’t a top 25 earner and was already being counted on the cap which I am sure would not be the case).

Which means either way, how many games he played after his first one was irrelevant as far as the cap goes. Either he didn’t count at all or his full wage counted so the club would get no financial benefit from restricting his appearances.
I think the point is that some players at Wigan got increased salaries during the season on the back of the number of games they played.

Your point is separate.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Mike »

I guess salary raises during the season would have to count, otherwise you'd end up doing that every year.
Post Reply