Matty Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3065
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Matty Smith

Post by nathan_rugby »

culinator wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am This is one thing that has always bugged me about RL in this country.

I think the a lot of the players still dont understand that they are professional sportsmen/athletes, thats what they get paid for, be the best at what they do.
Dont get me wrong i think the culture is changing but a long way to go.

Also i do think its clear when compare to the NRL, the Aussies generally look fitter more atheletic etc. Some genetics involved also i agree but i feel more to it than that, i didnt really want to suggest to do with a drinking culture but i cant really deny thats my thinking.
I 100% agree on the Aussies etc always appearing bigger, faster, stronger. A look at the size of their wingers and centres compared to ours is a great example.

As you’ve said it comes down to a lot of things: genetics, fitness culture in that part of the world and maybe also training methods? Not too sure on the latter but you would expect so given the amount of money in the sport compared to in the UK. Each team in Aus probably has their own equivalent of Bitcon and probably more.

What evidence do you have on your other point though? About sportsmen in the UK etc? This thread just has a couple of examples of a couple of players…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
culinator
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:45 am

Re: Matty Smith

Post by culinator »

Im afraid i have no evidence just an opinion from what i have seen.

Go back 10 years maybe less thinking back to the Tomkins episodes and it was no secret that every weekend the players would be out in town getting drunk, i dont venture into the town much now but is that still the case?

If so how can someone who thinks they are a professional athlete not know how drinking affects performance.

Again my own opinion but to be a professional athlete, they have to live it not just work it. They have to be striving to be the best and that means living the life of an Athlete. Not an easy ask but its the path chosen

Its also possible im way off the mark here but this is the general feeling i have about the differences
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Matty Smith

Post by Mike »

culinator wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am This is one thing that has always bugged me about RL in this country.

I think the a lot of the players still dont understand that they are professional sportsmen/athletes, thats what they get paid for, be the best at what they do.
Dont get me wrong i think the culture is changing but a long way to go.

Also i do think its clear when compare to the NRL, the Aussies generally look fitter more atheletic etc. Some genetics involved also i agree but i feel more to it than that, i didnt really want to suggest to do with a drinking culture but i cant really deny thats my thinking.
Its drugs.
buttmonkey2
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Re: Matty Smith

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Mike wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm
culinator wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am This is one thing that has always bugged me about RL in this country.

I think the a lot of the players still dont understand that they are professional sportsmen/athletes, thats what they get paid for, be the best at what they do.
Dont get me wrong i think the culture is changing but a long way to go.

Also i do think its clear when compare to the NRL, the Aussies generally look fitter more atheletic etc. Some genetics involved also i agree but i feel more to it than that, i didnt really want to suggest to do with a drinking culture but i cant really deny thats my thinking.
Its drugs.
You know that for a fact? Quite an allegation for a simple fan on a forum to make unless you have clear evidence to support your statement and can afford the litigation that the NRL should make against you and your allegation
Back by demand.
Dan2266
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Re: Matty Smith

Post by Dan2266 »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:51 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm
culinator wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am This is one thing that has always bugged me about RL in this country.

I think the a lot of the players still dont understand that they are professional sportsmen/athletes, thats what they get paid for, be the best at what they do.
Dont get me wrong i think the culture is changing but a long way to go.

Also i do think its clear when compare to the NRL, the Aussies generally look fitter more atheletic etc. Some genetics involved also i agree but i feel more to it than that, i didnt really want to suggest to do with a drinking culture but i cant really deny thats my thinking.
Its drugs.
You know that for a fact? Quite an allegation for a simple fan on a forum to make unless you have clear evidence to support your statement and can afford the litigation that the NRL should make against you and your allegation
I know of plenty SL & Championship players who dabble in Cocaine in the off season. As do most clubs & welfare officers.
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Matty Smith

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:51 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Its drugs.
You know that for a fact? Quite an allegation for a simple fan on a forum to make unless you have clear evidence to support your statement and can afford the litigation that the NRL should make against you and your allegation
I know of plenty SL & Championship players who dabble in Cocaine in the off season. As do most clubs & welfare officers.
Not those drugs. The cheating drugs the Aussies use.
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6283
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Matty Smith

Post by Mike »

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3757
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Matty Smith

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:11 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:51 pm

You know that for a fact? Quite an allegation for a simple fan on a forum to make unless you have clear evidence to support your statement and can afford the litigation that the NRL should make against you and your allegation
I know of plenty SL & Championship players who dabble in Cocaine in the off season. As do most clubs & welfare officers.
Not those drugs. The cheating drugs the Aussies use.
And saints have to win numerous titles
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Post Reply