Matty Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
irl_warr

Re: Matty Smith

Post by irl_warr »

Any new signing Wigan make needs to fit a very specific mould and they are hard to come by. I had the absolute pleasure of speaking at length with an ex-Wigan player last week who was at Salford and they were full of praise for the appointment of Peet, they know him really well and think it is a brave, but great appointment. However, he felt attracting any players of a very high calibre or that would make the fans extremely happy is going to be really tough for the club due to the notoriously high mental and physical demands of the club moving forward. He knows a certain new Warrington recruit and pretty much said it was the reason he didn't return and could also be a contributing factor as to why certain other contracted players are attempting to maneuver an exit using excuses.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

irl_warr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:37 pm Any new signing Wigan make needs to fit a very specific mould and they are hard to come by. I had the absolute pleasure of speaking at length with an ex-Wigan player last week who was at Salford and they were full of praise for the appointment of Peet, they know him really well and think it is a brave, but great appointment. However, he felt attracting any players of a very high calibre or that would make the fans extremely happy is going to be really tough for the club due to the notoriously high mental and physical demands of the club moving forward. He knows a certain new Warrington recruit and pretty much said it was the reason he didn't return and could also be a contributing factor as to why certain other contracted players are attempting to maneuver an exit using excuses.
Budgie’s view is very interesting however, if you are going to play sport at the highest level you should expect that the bar in respect of mental and physical demands will be set high. Surely, players want to be the best they can be? It would be interesting to hear more about this issue and if you are able to expand then that would be great?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

irl_warr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:37 pm Any new signing Wigan make needs to fit a very specific mould and they are hard to come by. I had the absolute pleasure of speaking at length with an ex-Wigan player last week who was at Salford and they were full of praise for the appointment of Peet, they know him really well and think it is a brave, but great appointment. However, he felt attracting any players of a very high calibre or that would make the fans extremely happy is going to be really tough for the club due to the notoriously high mental and physical demands of the club moving forward. He knows a certain new Warrington recruit and pretty much said it was the reason he didn't return and could also be a contributing factor as to why certain other contracted players are attempting to maneuver an exit using excuses.
So Williams went to Wire to win things and I for one believe him
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm
What a load of shit. These are professional sports men who if they have any ambition of being at the top of their sport if Wigan are as strict as being painted they should be congratulated for it. Sounds more like a lazy player who wants to steal a living for little input . And probably why he was shipped out . And couldn't hack it in Australia
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:50 pm
What a load of shit. These are professional sports men who if they have any ambition of being at the top of their sport if Wigan are as strict as being painted they should be congratulated for it. Sounds more like a lazy player who wants to steal a living for little input . And probably why he was shipped out . And couldn't hack it in Australia
Yes again my sarcasm was missed
oval balls

Post by oval balls »

With reference to Wigan being strict, I was informed a while ago from a now former Wigan player that a certain player now assistant coach who came to Wigan left because the regime and systems were too strict and he couldn’t handle the strict(er) discipline required in the running of the club
To me it’s called professionalism and it exists in all walks of life although some levels a lot more higher than others.
wigans turning blue- my arse

keptinthedarkfans

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:11 pm

Sorry fozzie my post was not aimed at your reply😂
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:53 am

No worries mate,I can never work out if my posts have just the right amount of sarcasm in them,I mean going to Warrington to win things :lol: now if he’d have gone to Catalan I club on the up I’d have believed him.
keptinthedarkfans

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:09 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:53 am
No worries mate,I can never work out if my posts have just the right amount of sarcasm in them,I mean going to Warrington to win things :lol: now if he’d have gone to Catalan I club on the up I’d have believed him.
Been told from a good source next year is there year.😁😁
culinator

Post by culinator »

This is one thing that has always bugged me about RL in this country.

I think the a lot of the players still dont understand that they are professional sportsmen/athletes, thats what they get paid for, be the best at what they do.
Dont get me wrong i think the culture is changing but a long way to go.

Also i do think its clear when compare to the NRL, the Aussies generally look fitter more atheletic etc. Some genetics involved also i agree but i feel more to it than that, i didnt really want to suggest to do with a drinking culture but i cant really deny thats my thinking.