Mitchell Pearce

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Gaznier

Re: Mitchell Pearce

Post by Gaznier »

stateoforigin wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 pm Strong rumours Catalans will be signing mitchell Pearce ……….

Why are we not in the race here ? Desperate for a half , quality player. Sign of the times now we can’t compete in the market for top players any more.

Very sad
Because money wise we're on our arse.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Perhaps also we don't want to give a stonking salary to a guy who only played 10 games or so last season.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:53 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:42 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32 pm
Well if that is true they along with Warrington have owners who can afford to pay the wages such players can demand. We don’t and IL obviously has no intention of selling up.

If this is the sort of investment rival clubs are making we will never be able to compete with IL owning Wigan . Therefore if IL had the clubs best interest at heart he’d be looking to find someone to sell it to who can afford to compete.

People used to complain when Dave Whelan owned the club and say it was a bad idea being owned by one man. They were right on that score particularly when they aren’t able to afford to splash the cash like rival owners.
I understand what you are saying Dave but that is an awful lot of eggs in one salary cap basket

We have seen time and time again how the colour of money affects individuals and their efforts when they see someone else come in on a far bigger slice of the proverbial than themselves
What’s the salary cap got to do with it? He would be marquee so only £150k on the cap…
Quite correct. I should have said salary basket as the cap isn't affected by how much the owner chooses to pay him if (a) he can afford him and (b) has the marquee spot available to place his wages in. It depends entirely on how deep the owners pockets are and if he chooses to spend his money in this manner - which is Dave's point

Seeing as Wigan (a) don't have an owner willing to pay that sort of money (b) no marquee spots available (who are on these next season) (c) no overseas spot available we are more than unlikely to be involved recruiting this level of player
Back by demand.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

buttmonkey2 wrote:
buttmonkey2 wrote: Well if rumors are to be believed they are offering him £600k per season

That may be a big part of the reason
Well if that is true they along with Warrington have owners who can afford to pay the wages such players can demand. We don’t and IL obviously has no intention of selling up.

If this is the sort of investment rival clubs are making we will never be able to compete with IL owning Wigan . Therefore if IL had the clubs best interest at heart he’d be looking to find someone to sell it to who can afford to compete.

People used to complain when Dave Whelan owned the club and say it was a bad idea being owned by one man. They were right on that score particularly when they aren’t able to afford to splash the cash like rival owners.
I understand what you are saying Dave but that is an awful lot of eggs in one salary cap basket

We have seen time and time again how the colour of money affects individuals and their efforts when they see someone else come in on a far bigger slice of the proverbial than themselves
I once read when Wigan had the likes of Edwards and Gregory playing when one got a pay rise the other would storm into the chairman’s office and demand one as well. It’s always gone on and the marquee rule makes it virtually certain clubs that use it have one or two star players who will be on much more than others.

The clubs have just got to manage it.

My point is not about that though but that with IL jealousy guarding his and his family’s ownership of the club we have gone from the club that used to splash the cash to one that can’t compete with big spending Warrington and if this rumour is true Les Cat’s. I know Wigan have a silent partner who is rolling in it but it doesn’t look like he’s stumping up cash for big transfer fees like when DW paid for Fielden and we have even had IL telling top class players like Sam T he didn’t want to pay what he agreed contractually.

I posted at the time IL bought the club he wasn’t as wealthy as DW himself or Warrington’s owner and once he sold his software business a few years ago and effectively retired his wealth is very much finite. Us seemingly unable to compete for top signings seems pretty inevitable to me unless IL either sells up or dilutes his ownership by getting someone on board who is willing to bankroll big signings.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:03 pm Perhaps also we don't want to give a stonking salary to a guy who only played 10 games or so last season.
played 12 thats 10 more than french isnt it?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:52 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote:

I once read when Wigan had the likes of Edwards and Gregory playing when one got a pay rise the other would storm into the chairman’s office and demand one as well. It’s always gone on and the marquee rule makes it virtually certain clubs that use it have one or two star players who will be on much more than others.

The clubs have just got to manage it.

My point is not about that though but that with IL jealousy guarding his and his family’s ownership of the club we have gone from the club that used to splash the cash to one that can’t compete with big spending Warrington and if this rumour is true Les Cat’s. I know Wigan have a silent partner who is rolling in it but it doesn’t look like he’s stumping up cash for big transfer fees like when DW paid for Fielden and we have even had IL telling top class players like Sam T he didn’t want to pay what he agreed contractually.

I posted at the time IL bought the club he wasn’t as wealthy as DW himself or Warrington’s owner and once he sold his software business a few years ago and effectively retired his wealth is very much finite. Us seemingly unable to compete for top signings seems pretty inevitable to me unless IL either sells up or dilutes his ownership by getting someone on board who is willing to bankroll big signings.
They don’t anymore their agents do it for them 😀
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I once heard that when Shaun Edwards had a cortisone injection Greg wanted one!🤣
I'll get me coat.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

buttmonkey2 wrote:
stateoforigin wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 pm Strong rumours Catalans will be signing mitchell Pearce ……….

Why are we not in the race here ?
Well if rumors are to be believed they are offering him £600k per season

(1) Said with no sense of irony? 1985 to 1995? Boot on other foot?

(2) Marwan Koucash outspent us, I believe.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

pedro wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:28 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:03 pm Perhaps also we don't want to give a stonking salary to a guy who only played 10 games or so last season.
played 12 thats 10 more than french isnt it?
Exactly! We've two who hardly played last year in French and Field, we certainly don't want another!" Also seen somewhere that his kicking game is very poor, having him and Tommy as our halves with lousy kicking games is the last thing we need.
One to swerve.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
buttmonkey2 wrote: Well if rumors are to be believed they are offering him £600k per season

(1) Said with no sense of irony? 1985 to 1995? Boot on other foot?

(2) Marwan Koucash outspent us, I believe.
No idea what boot on the other foot is about and what Koukash spent is irrelevant. Whelan paid £450,000 for Fielden whereas IL didn’t want to pay the salary he agreed with Sam T and is pissing about signing the likes of Thornley. He’s just not in the same financial league as Whelan was or Moran is at Warrington.

Let’s hope this rumoured announcement of a departure and a signing is worth waiting for.