Jai Field.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
the pieman

Re: Jai Field.

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:51 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:14 am

Fair point, Hastings is certainly an "individual" and had very strong ties with Salford - maybe the root of his unhappiness.

We didn't see much of Field but he looked totally out of sorts in his last match for us and didn't seem focussed?
He looked totally out of sorts & out of place when the fans T-shirt signing was held at Robin Park. Very, very quiet as if he wasn’t mixing with the other players except Hastings, who is mad as a box of frogs 😉 & didn’t interact with fans either! Sat there with a hoodie on over a baseball cap!
It’s interesting you say that because I’ve always looked at him in the interviews on Wigan TV and on clips of him around the place and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him smile. He looks like a lad who has the weight of the world on his shoulders and that always worried me. I’ve never posted anything about it because that could just be the lads manner or even worse, he may really be struggling but it worries me from the outset. It doesn’t go hand in hand 100% of the time but the best overseas players that come here usually have some spark about them and you sense they really enjoy a new environment.

I just hope we can get him on the field and playing well. Everything else just fades in to the background then.
i dont suppose circumstances have helped either. You travel across the world, pull up in your 1st game and locked down with the pandemic / with Jackson Hastings. It cant be easy not being able to do what you are being paid to do, and then to not be able to go out cos of lockdown.
i'm fortunate that i have been able to work from home since we went into lockdown, but i am seriously climbing the walls (and i am in my home, home town and country), so that has to have an impact on him
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:14 am

Fair point, Hastings is certainly an "individual" and had very strong ties with Salford - maybe the root of his unhappiness.

We didn't see much of Field but he looked totally out of sorts in his last match for us and didn't seem focussed?
He looked totally out of sorts & out of place when the fans T-shirt signing was held at Robin Park. Very, very quiet as if he wasn’t mixing with the other players except Hastings, who is mad as a box of frogs 😉 & didn’t interact with fans either! Sat there with a hoodie on over a baseball cap!
It’s interesting you say that because I’ve always looked at him in the interviews on Wigan TV and on clips of him around the place and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him smile. He looks like a lad who has the weight of the world on his shoulders and that always worried me. I’ve never posted anything about it because that could just be the lads manner or even worse, he may really be struggling but it worries me from the outset. It doesn’t go hand in hand 100% of the time but the best overseas players that come here usually have some spark about them and you sense they really enjoy a new environment.

I just hope we can get him on the field and playing well. Everything else just fades in to the background then.
Yes have to agree he does seem to look like carrying world on his shoulders. And looks lost in his surroundings . But for life of me can't see how that makes him a bad influence or disruptive would think would have quite opposite affect. Think senior players should help him. And maybe just maybe that's what hastings was doing.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:48 pm

Yes have to agree he does seem to look like carrying world on his shoulders. And looks lost in his surroundings . But for life of me can't see how that makes him a bad influence or disruptive would think would have quite opposite affect. Think senior players should help him. And maybe just maybe that's what hastings was doing.
Oh absolutely they should. I’ve not really read the thread, so I’m not coming at it from the POV of him being a disruptive influence at all. I’ve just always looked at the lad and thought he looks very quiet and uncomfortable. The main interview I recall was his very first one. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a new player come across as unenthusiastic about what was ahead. That’s not to say he was by the way but he certainly does seem a character who’ll be bouncing off the walls with excitement.

I hope he genuinely is just a hugely laid back person and I’d even rather think he’s a bit arrogant than thinking he is actually down in the dumps.
God2

Post by God2 »

Hastings was also best friends with Hardaker, there was a bit of a click including Field that had a disruptive feel to the squad.

Hastings absolutely off his rocker and other team members including fans were initially put off by him. Very stand offish when he initially came to the club, Salford as stated by himself “Saved him” so in his mind could never repay them, but when the money from Wigan came he jumped ship to us but felt remorse over the move.

Field is quite an immature person and can be moody, he grew up with Hastings and are best mates, Field didn’t endure himself to the rest of the squad and often trained on his own due to rehab until Hardaker or Hastings finished then went straight for coffee with them, the rest of the squad didn’t really interact with him and when they did he wasn’t mature enough for the rest of the squad.

Field has a lot to prove especially regarding the coaches, this year is make or break for him with regards fitting in and being more mature, the coaching staff aren’t convinced tho.

Hardaker has hugely disappointed the coaching staff and IL over his desire to leave despite the club bending over backwards regarding his rehab hence Peets persistent quotes of finding the correct person for the club.

French is also being reviewed but his mitigating circumstances of a family member being extremely ill he has ample leeway. It all depends on his weight/fitness on his eventual return.
pedro

Post by pedro »

God2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:36 pm Hastings was also best friends with Hardaker, there was a bit of a click including Field that had a disruptive feel to the squad.

Hastings absolutely off his rocker and other team members including fans were initially put off by him. Very stand offish when he initially came to the club, Salford as stated by himself “Saved him” so in his mind could never repay them, but when the money from Wigan came he jumped ship to us but felt remorse over the move.

Field is quite an immature person and can be moody, he grew up with Hastings and are best mates, Field didn’t endure himself to the rest of the squad and often trained on his own due to rehab until Hardaker or Hastings finished then went straight for coffee with them, the rest of the squad didn’t really interact with him and when they did he wasn’t mature enough for the rest of the squad.

Field has a lot to prove especially regarding the coaches, this year is make or break for him with regards fitting in and being more mature, the coaching staff aren’t convinced tho.

Hardaker has hugely disappointed the coaching staff and IL over his desire to leave despite the club bending over backwards regarding his rehab hence Peets persistent quotes of finding the correct person for the club.

French is also being reviewed but his mitigating circumstances of a family member being extremely ill he has ample leeway. It all depends on his weight/fitness on his eventual return.
if thats true demand a fee for him
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the reason hastings never really gelled with wigan and it’s canvass like he did Salford was Salford fans expected nothing and he was like some demigod who took them to a level they were incapable of reaching without him. He loves being centre of attention and treated like a “goat”

With wigan we’ve had better players before him and will have better players after him - all of a sudden he wasn’t so special and he didn’t like that I don’t think

Still our best player in his time here imo but this club is bigger than him at Salford it felt he was bigger than the club
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Hastings from an off-field, drama and club culture perspective has to be one of the worst signings the club has ever made. Wonderful player but what a tit. Constantly pining for Salford, touting himself to Aus and showing no respect for the shirt. Wane would've strangled him. I am so glad he's gone.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

PorterjohLam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:06 pm Hastings from an off-field, drama and club culture perspective has to be one of the worst signings the club has ever made. Wonderful player but what a tit. Constantly pining for Salford, touting himself to Aus and showing no respect for the shirt. Wane would've strangled him. I am so glad he's gone.
What specifically has he done / did he do? And what you have evidence for rather than rumours.

At the end of the day he gave 100% every game and the coach picked him every game. How much of a disruption to the team, training and culture could he have been?

I get there have been some issues and concerns but most of it is blown up rumours.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

PorterjohLam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:06 pm Hastings from an off-field, drama and club culture perspective has to be one of the worst signings the club has ever made. Wonderful player but what a tit. Constantly pining for Salford, touting himself to Aus and showing no respect for the shirt. Wane would've strangled him. I am so glad he's gone.
Sorry but that's complete sh*** He did everything he was asked to do and more only thing guilty of was over doing stuff but that was because of the headless chicken sh** that was being coached in and around him. Good luck to him did everything he said he would do for us and wish he still was with us.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And I suppose his dalliance with Salford was due to them giving him a contract after it went belly up at Manly for him. Then no other team, either SL or NRL was interested in giving him a run so he'll always be more than grateful for the chance the Reds gave him.
And come on, 99% of players who arrive here from the NRL are looking to impress in order to gain a return back from day one, and I see that Cust has got an exclusion clause to go back to Manly after just one season - it happens, that's life 12,000 miles from home ! And in a pandemic.