Title challenge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Title challenge

Post by Brennox7 »

I see no pundits or people talking about the upcoming season gives us a chance to challenge this season. Haven't even heard Wigans name in the mix at all.

Anybody think we have a chance? Seema weird to approach a season thinking we won't get anywhere near the LL or GF!
pedro

Re: Title challenge

Post by pedro »

none at all im afraid, might sneak top 4 though
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m not optimistic either I’m afraid. Think we’ve got abit of unbalanced team and abit of dead wood that should of been moved on.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:41 am I’m not optimistic either I’m afraid. Think we’ve got abit of unbalanced team and abit of dead wood that should of been moved on.
I think team is well balanced and for first time in 2 years exited about start of season. Who is the deadwood you think we should have moved on.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Honestly, I could see us finishing anywhere between 1st and 12th...

Best case scenario: Mago, Singleton and Ellis give us momentum, O’Neill rapidly develops into an attacking 9, KPP brings his offload game, Bateman gets back to world class, French comes back quickly and is fit, Cust slots into an attacking role, Field fulfils his broken field potential and our 3/4s surprise us. Peet is a coaching genius able to bring the good times back in style. If that all happens, we could beat some of the top teams.

Worst case scenario: Peetball is Waneball with worse players, so that Mago and co simply go to the floor rather than make ground, Field has lost his pace/confidence, French takes ages to return, Cust doesn’t settle, Powell plays, injuries in the backs (while French is away, our FIRST CHOICE 3/4 lines seems to Halsall - Bibby - Thornley - Marshall: and that’s with no injuries) so that we have to play Isa/Bateman/Faz in the centres again. Peet is an over promoted poor man’s Wane. If that all happens, we could lose to anyone and everyone, and do so in a continuation of the dullest style of play in RL history.

It’s the off season, so we can all hope for the best case scenario. We will have a far better idea soon enough.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It's because everyone expects saints and Catalan to walk everything.

They won't but it would be nice to see saints crash and burn, they have a fair fee aging players and lost some key players.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

It’s a season of unknown really, I’m hoping the new guys hit the ground running and bevan returning is key. To think we will finish anywhere near the bottom of the league though to me is quite ludicrous. We will be in the mix, I’m going for some rare positivity and saying top 4. Easily in with a chance of some silverware.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I'd be happy with a cup run for once. It's been a while!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:57 am It's because everyone expects saints and Catalan to walk everything.

They won't but it would be nice to see saints crash and burn, they have a fair fee aging players and lost some key players.
I certainly think Saints will be there at the end of the season theyve recruited well onto an already strong team yes theyll go well again and be there at seasons end.

Catalan though will remain an enigma they have an excellent coach who "gets"the Catalan way of ding things i think though they'll regress this season in a reaction to losing the GF last time out.

As for Wigan who knows i do feel the side is a little lopsided and not replacing Gildart will come back to haunt the side,but i dont think it will be the disaster season some are predicting.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I think it’ll take at least a month before any of us can confidently predict where we may end up. The changes in coaching and playing personnel are massive and in most cases, the likelihood of them succeeding is totally unknown. It could all blow us away or we could all be panicking a month in.

I’m optimistic it could be the former. I like the noise coming out the place, even down to the media day yesterday and browsing social media, the four journalists I noticed mentioning being there all said it was the best media day they’d ever had at any club and all were hugely impressed with Matty Peet’s presentation he gave.

I think we’ll sink or swim by the success (or lack of it) of three players in particular. They are Cust, Ellis and Mago IMO. If Cust can replace Hastings and not be a big drop off and the two props can be a major upgrade on Bullock, Clark and Clubb, than I think we can have a good year.