Partington

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2505
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Partington

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I hope, if he leaves, Partington thrives and has a successful and long career. He always puts in a shift.
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Partington

Post by Charriots Offiah »

In a salary capped sport you always need lads like Oli, not paid top dollar but gives it everything he has got. For me, it would be a retrograde step to let him leave.
josie andrews
Posts: 31152
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: Partington

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm In a salary capped sport you always need lads like Oli, not paid top dollar but gives it everything he has got. For me, it would be a retrograde step to let him leave.
I would be very unhappy for him to leave. He’s only 23 with years ahead of him, he’s rarely injured & just gives everything for the club.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Re: Partington

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:23 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm In a salary capped sport you always need lads like Oli, not paid top dollar but gives it everything he has got. For me, it would be a retrograde step to let him leave.
I would be very unhappy for him to leave. He’s only 23 with years ahead of him, he’s rarely injured & just gives everything for the club.
Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
medlocke
Posts: 9700
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Partington

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:23 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm In a salary capped sport you always need lads like Oli, not paid top dollar but gives it everything he has got. For me, it would be a retrograde step to let him leave.
I would be very unhappy for him to leave. He’s only 23 with years ahead of him, he’s rarely injured & just gives everything for the club.
Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
I don't
widdenoldboy
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Partington

Post by widdenoldboy »

the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
I do watch the Reserves/Academy pretty regularly through Wigan TV and the forwards we have are exceptional, I can't remember a better batch since we had Betts/Gildart/Lucas.

There are 5 really good props, 2 hookers (+ O'Neil), and 4 2nd rows. I know there is no guarantee that they will all progress but these guys have the size and strength (and talent) to make it in pro-RL.
Its less obvious which of the backs will make it but, who knows?
the pieman
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Re: Partington

Post by the pieman »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:16 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
I do watch the Reserves/Academy pretty regularly through Wigan TV and the forwards we have are exceptional, I can't remember a better batch since we had Betts/Gildart/Lucas.

There are 5 really good props, 2 hookers (+ O'Neil), and 4 2nd rows. I know there is no guarantee that they will all progress but these guys have the size and strength (and talent) to make it in pro-RL.
Its less obvious which of the backs will make it but, who knows?
i think thats the position we have seemed to struggle with most, certainly over recent years. So many who have seemed promising but never really kicked on. If we can get 2-3 of them to become regular 1st team players i think we will have done really well out of it
the pieman
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Re: Partington

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:23 pm

I would be very unhappy for him to leave. He’s only 23 with years ahead of him, he’s rarely injured & just gives everything for the club.
Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
I don't
its more a phrase than a want :). If we had that, i would never has seen some world class players wearing the shirt that we have had over the years. The reality is though, that we arent going to get an Ozzie in their prime anymore due to salary cap, unless they have had some form of issues in Oz, which then becomes a bit of a chance or lottery
widdenoldboy
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Partington

Post by widdenoldboy »

the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm
the pieman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, its one of the challenges with the salary cap

based on what i have read on here (dont get to watch academy / reserves), we have a line of young forwards coming through, probably in the next 12-24 months looking for 1st team spots. the balancing act for the club is to bring and retain the best of those, whilst unfortunately having to move some of them on if they dont kick on as well as the club had hoped. I feel that Oli may fall into that bracket. As we all know, last year the young guys were flogged to the point of it being detrimental to their performance & development. Having a couple of older heads around certainly makes a big difference and aids the development of the younger guys

whilst we all would love a squad full of home grown players, and seeing them all do well, its one of those things with professional sport that we need to bring in others, and let some go
I don't
its more a phrase than a want :). If we had that, i would never has seen some world class players wearing the shirt that we have had over the years. The reality is though, that we arent going to get an Ozzie in their prime anymore due to salary cap, unless they have had some form of issues in Oz, which then becomes a bit of a chance or lottery
Yeh I think it should be - whilst we all would love a squad full of world class home grown players,
DaveO
Posts: 15372
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Partington

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm In a salary capped sport you always need lads like Oli, not paid top dollar but gives it everything he has got. For me, it would be a retrograde step to let him leave.
No you don’t. In a salary capped sport your “cheap” props as in those you think are on low wages are the Coopers of this world. The finished article. This is especially true when you have a couple of younger props of the same intake as Partington who are better than him.

The trick is to keep signing those older props who will do a couple of seasons while bringing on your young players who you really want to keep. In a salary capped sport you can’t keep every young player who take up wages and have a lightweight inexperienced pack as a result.

There is also the players wishes to consider. If we played the Grand Final tomorrow he wouldn’t figure. We’d line up the same way as for the CC final and so if wants a shot at more regular first team footy he might well want to leave anyway.
Post Reply