James McDonnell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cherry toffee

Re: James McDonnell

Post by cherry toffee »

Your right about resigning Isa coming back to bite us, especially when you consider the fact that he could be holding two players back, McDonnell at second row and Hallsall at centre as he seems to be first choice cover for both positions
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:06 pm So Isa does well and keeps out a youngster who obviously isn't quite ready yet and fans are complaining, so I'm thinking to myself surely the coaches know best, or does that excuse only count when defending Sam Powell
who said hes not ready? hes played before...
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:53 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:48 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:39 am

I don't disagree but that is not a reason for letting James go.
but it is a reason to not try and match massive, very good bids
No but who says he has received a very good offer. This is where the deal for Isa is coming back to bite. I prefer the type of thinking that it is far more preferable to retain good young up and coming players rather than extending contracts of players who are in the later stages of their careers.

It will be interesting to read what supporters say if James becomes a top player at another SL club.
cos Wire and Leeds have form for it...
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:52 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:06 pm So Isa does well and keeps out a youngster who obviously isn't quite ready yet and fans are complaining, so I'm thinking to myself surely the coaches know best, or does that excuse only count when defending Sam Powell
but he hasn't played again
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:55 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:52 pm
but he hasn't played again
before Friday he'd play the same as Isa hadnt he?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Managing the youth players into the first team is tricky, I think its just a bit more tricky at Wigan coz we go for the very best - maybe other clubs have the same issues?

Its also tricky for the coach, he plays several youngsters and loses then gets slated for it.
But O'Neil must be wondering now as Powell will be 1st choice for a couple more years, same for Halsall and McDonnell/Nicholson with Isa being the go to replacement. Once Smithies, Thornley and KPP are back the opportunities will be even more limited.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:54 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:48 am

but it is a reason to not try and match massive, very good bids
No but who says he has received a very good offer. This is where the deal for Isa is coming back to bite. I prefer the type of thinking that it is far more preferable to retain good young up and coming players rather than extending contracts of players who are in the later stages of their careers.

It will be interesting to read what supporters say if James becomes a top player at another SL club.
Where is the evidence that either club has offered him a big deal? It is just supposition.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

He’s staying at Wigan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dan2266 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:53 am He’s staying at Wigan.
Great stuff 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:31 am
pedro wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:54 pm

Where is the evidence that either club has offered him a big deal? It is just supposition.
where is evidence that anything has happened? If there was evidence it wouldnt be in the rumour mill