Jake Wardle

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wgwr1999

Re: Jake Wardle

Post by wgwr1999 »

I just explained why his struggles in the NRL are obvious & why, stylistically, that wouldn't matter in the SL.

Was a move that was never going to work but he had to take the chance.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For me, the criticism Gildart received on his 2021 season was probably justified, many people seemed then paint a picture of him being a plodder and not developing over his seasons here, which is frankly nonsense!

Reality is, like others have said, it was always going to be a tall order for a centre of his physique to make it in the NRL! Sam Tomkins didn't exactly rip it up in 2014/15 at New Zealand. Furthermore, our track record in brining back previous player with NRL experience speaks for itself. Its not exactly unjustified to assume he is on his way back.

I certainly wouldn't want Toby King, but Wardle or Leutele wouldn't be too bad either way.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I was always a big fan of Gilly but worried about him coping in the NRL. If he returns to us next season it will be three seasons since he played at his best level. Not many players return to their best under such circumstances. I just hope his injury problems are behind him. I read somewhere that he was trying to put on some bulk to cope with the NRL so perhaps he'll slim down again (and get some pace back) when he's back here. If there's a chance I still think Wardle is the better choice assuming that Leutele isn't really available.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 pm Wouldn’t go near gildart. Arguably the worst player in the nrl currently. Dropped after about 4 games awful in defence lost pace shoulder gone the list is endless as to why he’s not good enough for us. Wardle on the other hand …
I wouldn’t have gilly back.
We need to move on from this bringing back former players.
I’d rather give halsall his chance, and hopefully sign wardle
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Yes Gildart having a torrid time being battered and his defence has been terrible I dont think he will even get another game in the NRL to be honest sadly . They sussed his side step in the first game and threw big forwards at him & he fell to pieces and looked lost.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

You reap what you sow, and Gildart did some sowing
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:58 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 pm Wouldn’t go near gildart. Arguably the worst player in the nrl currently. Dropped after about 4 games awful in defence lost pace shoulder gone the list is endless as to why he’s not good enough for us. Wardle on the other hand …
I wouldn’t have gilly back.
We need to move on from this bringing back former players.
I’d rather give halsall his chance, and hopefully sign wardle
Agreed
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

This whole "we need to stop bringing players back" narrative needs to stop, in my opinion.

There are three valid concerns:
1) The player adapted their body to the NRL & got worse for it i.e. Budgie
2) The player is way too old to improve or even be productive i.e. Thornley
3) The player in question wants stupid money i.e. Williams

None of those are the case. A healthy Gildart was & would be the best attacking centre in the comp.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Interesting points but I'd have thought the Budgie and Gilly situations are very similar. Both struggled, lost their place in the team and lost their confidence. Since his return, Budgie has not been as good as the player that left us first time and probably never became the player he could have been.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am Interesting points but I'd have thought the Budgie and Gilly situations are very similar. Both struggled, lost their place in the team and lost their confidence. Since his return, Budgie has not been as good as the player that left us first time and probably never became the player he could have been.
Budgie didn’t have a bad injury record either