Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
widdenoldboy

Re: Bevan French - STAYING

Post by widdenoldboy »

Still not announced

FRENCH’S NRL RETURN

The Newcastle Knights are reportedly in hot pursuit of former Eels flyer Bevan French who is currently plying his trade in the Super League.
The 26-year-old made headlines after scoring a record seven tries during Wigan’s 60-0 win against Hull FC last month.

Now, the Knights are closing in on signing French who is seeking a return to Australia, according to The Daily Telegraph.
French is off-contract at the end of the 2022 season and could fill Adam O’Brien’s backline spots with both Tex Hoy and Edrick Lee leaving the club.
Reports suggest if French is able to make a seamless return to the NRL, the Knights could consider shifting marquee player Kalyn Ponga into the halves.
During French’s first NRL stint he recording 35 tries in only 47 first grade appearances and came desperately close to an Australian return this year after meetings with Eels and Bulldogs powerbrokers.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Ive just been told as far as Wigan are aware there is interest from the NRL & 3 clubs have spoken to his agent but no offers as of yet. This of course is from Wigans perspective, they may not know everything his agent has been up to. Wigan have also increased the already agreed offer, it is now borderline Marquee worthy…. My guy is insistent its to reflect his form and not to counter any NRL offers…. Must admit that doesnt make sense to me, my opinion is there has been an NRL offer and we have matched it.
doc

Post by doc »

This may come down to how much he feels he should be with his family after his mother passed away. Can't blame him for going home in that case.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Dan2266 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:52 am Ive just been told as far as Wigan are aware there is interest from the NRL & 3 clubs have spoken to his agent but no offers as of yet. This of course is from Wigans perspective, they may not know everything his agent has been up to. Wigan have also increased the already agreed offer, it is now borderline Marquee worthy…. My guy is insistent its to reflect his form and not to counter any NRL offers…. Must admit that doesnt make sense to me, my opinion is there has been an NRL offer and we have matched it.
If French isn't worth Marquee money then I simply don't understand the purpose of it!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:36 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:52 am Ive just been told as far as Wigan are aware there is interest from the NRL & 3 clubs have spoken to his agent but no offers as of yet. This of course is from Wigans perspective, they may not know everything his agent has been up to. Wigan have also increased the already agreed offer, it is now borderline Marquee worthy…. My guy is insistent its to reflect his form and not to counter any NRL offers…. Must admit that doesnt make sense to me, my opinion is there has been an NRL offer and we have matched it.
If French isn't worth Marquee money then I simply don't understand the purpose of it!
I’d give him & Jai marquee money & keep them for as long as possible. They & Marshy excite me & I’m sure they excite others much more than our current marquee when they have the ball!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 pm
I’d give him & Jai marquee money & keep them for as long as possible. They & Marshy excite me & I’m sure they excite others much more than our current marquee when they have the ball!!
Agreed but it depends on what we can afford because we already have Bateman on marquee money I think & Dan says we are in pursuit of Thompson.

In my opinion our front row is good enough and Byrne and Havard are only going to get better.

Thompson is a signing behind a few seasons though so it’s about balancing the short term success with Field and French vs planning for the future.

I think go all out with Field and French!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If Bevan French isn’t worth marquee money..and more then frankly I’m at a loss,I don’t understand this odd move for Thompson now Cooper is here truth is props don’t get you on your feet..someone like French does.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 pm
Who's the second marquee with Bateman?
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

I don’t think we have one. It would have been Judas Williams, but he went to Warrington for the challenge and to win something. Still, maybe they will win the relegation race — they are playing well enough.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Its Field