Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Re: Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Post by Dan2266 »

With the current options on the table if the NRL was the be all and end all for French he'd of gone by now. the ONLY way he leaves Wigan at the end of this season is if a fresh more appealing NRL offer comes in, or his family are denied residency/work permits.

With whats currently on offer he wants to stay.
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:10 pm With the current options on the table if the NRL was the be all and end all for French he'd of gone by now. the ONLY way he leaves Wigan at the end of this season is if a fresh more appealing NRL offer comes in, or his family are denied residency/work permits.

Yeah, I get that, if Newcastle have offered £150k a year and we have offered £250k (figures pulled out my backside) it’s certainly going to change his perspective, I also think his family coming over recently may have helped too.
I’m just saying that it’s been widely reported and come out of both his and Peets mouth that he wanted to go back to the NRL, if this has changed then great, even better if it’s changed because he’s seen a long term future over here rather than just lack of options in Oz.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

CobraCraig wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:24 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:10 pm With the current options on the table if the NRL was the be all and end all for French he'd of gone by now. the ONLY way he leaves Wigan at the end of this season is if a fresh more appealing NRL offer comes in, or his family are denied residency/work permits.

Yeah, I get that, if Newcastle have offered £150k a year and we have offered £250k (figures pulled out my backside) it’s certainly going to change his perspective, I also think his family coming over recently may have helped too.
I’m just saying that it’s been widely reported and come out of both his and Peets mouth that he wanted to go back to the NRL, if this has changed then great, even better if it’s changed because he’s seen a long term future over here rather than just lack of options in Oz.
I think ultimately his goal will be to prove himself in the NRL, but when it comes down to it right now he is preferring Wigan over the NRL option available, if he stays and has another stellar season then Im more than certain more attractive NRL offers will be coming his way
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 pm

I think ultimately his goal will be to prove himself in the NRL, but when it comes down to it right now he is preferring Wigan over the NRL option available, if he stays and has another stellar season then Im more than certain more attractive NRL offers will be coming his way
But moving his family over to England is surely a long-term commitment.

Bit unfair to have them settle down just to move back a year later?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Id agree, but would depend on how good the speculative future offer from the NRL is. All Bevan & his family can do at the moment is go off the offers on the table. I'm as hopeful as anyone that its all resolved and announced shortly
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Doubt this is much to read into but a few weeks ago when the news of french to the Knights was all over twitter. Barry Toohey was replying to most who asked claiming french was signing for the Knights. He hasn't been replying recently to people asking about times/dates of the announcement.

Like I said probably nothing but he's ignored a good few posts regarding french and commenting on others about signings in the NRL.
Kate83

Post by Kate83 »

Apologies for long post but bear with me. Some people are just argueing over silly points without really thinking about it all properly.

We have all known the whole time that money isn't the motivation for Bevan - it's family & specifically his younger brother - so it isn't about who is offering the best financial package.

When he first came over to Wigan, his ambition would have been to play a few good seasons of SuperLeague & catch the eye of the NRL clubs with a view to returning a much better & more sought-after player. He had already played several seasons of NRL with Parramatta where he had been dumped to reserve grade & deemed 'too small'. Well NRL wings have only got much bigger in the time he has been at Wigan, either in height where the majority are 6'4' plus & the odd few who are smaller are the type capable of bouncing off defenders & hitting like Leuluai in defence - both attributes we don't associate with Bevan.

He has had no offers from any of the title contenders in the NRL. The only NRL offer he has received has been the Newcastle one where they are basically offering him a spot in their Top 30 to 'add depth' to their roster. So basically to play NSW Cup until Ponga is on Origin duty or they get injuries on the wings. Hardly selling him the dream are they ? It is also pretty well known about the poor culture at Newcastle & the way they seemingly ignore both on & off-field issues. Complete difference to what Matty Peet has created at Wigan this season.

Bevan is a good lad with a good personality. He appreciates how Wigan have supported him through his personal circumstances over the past 2 years & there is no way he would allow the club to go through all this work trying to sort a visa & work-permit for his brother if he had no intention of staying at the club. He would't drag it all out for this long, reducing the chances of Wigan signing potential replacements, if he was just going to get to the end of the season & then just clear off.

It is pretty obvious to me that the visa application is the decider to all this. If it is accepted then Bevan will sign with Wigan & his brother will move over with him for however long the contract is for & enjoy a new life with new opportunites. If the application is denied, then Bevan will sign the Newcastle deal & return home to support his brother over there.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Id agree, but would depend on how good the speculative future offer from the NRL is. All Bevan & his family can do at the moment is go off the offers on the table. I'm as hopeful as anyone that its all resolved and announced shortly
Do you not think there will become a time where NRL offers will stop coming though? For how good he is, the NRL has a very, very short turnaround for backs especially wingers it feels like & Bevan isn't getting any younger. I'd say this could potentially be his last chance to get a multi-year deal from the NRL.

Saying that, Corey Thompson walked back into two NRL teams at 28 from Widnes so I guess it's possible.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Do you not think there will become a time where NRL offers will stop coming though? For how good he is, the NRL has a very, very short turnaround for backs especially wingers it feels like & Bevan isn't getting any younger. I'd say this could potentially be his last chance to get a multi-year deal from the NRL.

Saying that, Corey Thompson walked back into two NRL teams at 28 from Widnes so I guess it's possible.
The NRL will always sign class it. Seems to me
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

The hope would be that if he does stay that the interest from the NRL never really materialises in the future, let’s be fair his stock couldn’t really get much higher than it currently is could it? And he’s reportedly only had 1 offer.