Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Re: Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Post by Dan2266 »

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-25029135

“I really haven’t come to a conclusion yet and really just want to be chilled and focused on every game. My manager’s taken control of things and it’s going back and forth: Wigan here and teams back in Oz.” Asked when he thinks the final decision could be, French said: “It could be after the Grand Final or I could get a call tomorrow saying ‘this has happened.’ I’m not in a rush. My form is coming down to being so relaxed."

Usually whats put out to the press is info slightly behind, I wonder if the elusive call has came in if people on here are adamant he's 100% staying.... hopefully so.
Kate83

Post by Kate83 »

That particular piece has only been published today but there was an almost identical article on Wigan Today last weekend - so I’m guessing this is from the same press conference when the Dream Team was announced ?

So basically it’s almost 2 weeks old.

All the information on here about a potential announcement & the user ‘Bobby’ being pretty certain about him staying after attending the official club awards have all come out following that press conference.

So hopefully…..fingers crossed for a good outcome.
Kate83

Post by Kate83 »

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 831362?amp

The article I was referring to above - basically word for word the same interview.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

This is the full interview with Bevan French 😊

Bevan French unfazed by Wigan Warriors uncertainty as he discusses wing role

French's future has been a topic of uncertainty for months and no announcement has yet been made.

Bevan French hasn’t minded playing second fiddle to Wigan’s Jai Field as he’s always known how good his team-mate can be. Challenge Cup holders Warriors host Leeds in Friday’s Super League semi-final for a place at Old Trafford.

Much of their success so far has been down to the Dream Team duo’s stunning double act. Full-back Field has been shortlisted for Man of Steel while fellow Aussie French has amassed a whopping 31 tries from the wing.

But electric French ripped up defences himself from No1 when he first joined Wigan in 2020. He then missed ten months of action through injury, though, and has needed to switch positions since his return in April given Field’s astounding form.

Read more:Predicted Leeds Rhinos line-up for play-off semi-final against Wigan Warriors

But French said: “I knew what Jai was capable of and had played quite a bit of footy with him and against him when growing up. And I sort of realised along the way (about switching) seeing the start he had! I knew I had to make a shirt somewhere and try to figure something else out.

"I definitely knew what he was capable of so it definitely wasn;t a surprise for me. But for me it wasn’t really about that. When you are out for such a long period of time, like I was, it wasn’t really my focus (playing full-back). It was more just getting on there and competing. Just to be on the field competing has been such a big high for me.”

And French has been similarly dynamic on the wing where he’s enjoyed arguably the best campaign of his career. He said: “It’d be up there. I have crossed for a lot of tries but a lot of that comes from a lot of work done inside - mostly off Jai! It’s very exciting playing with him. You’ve just got to be ready for those moments and most of the time it is instinct and reaction.

“Some of the time it is just his individual brilliance but there’s also a lot of detail we go into in our attack with our attack coach Lee Briers. We’ve scored a lot of points all across the board and a lot of it does come down to the little details he’s narrowed down on us. And hopefully we can now get to another Grand Final.”

French says the whole Wigan side, especially the backline, has benefitted from the input of legendary former Warrington stand-off Briers this term. He has helped spark their attacking play after leaving his position as Wolves assistant but will be off to Brisbane Broncos at the end of this season. French, who scored a Super League record seven tries in Wigan's win over Hull earlier this season, admitted: “He’ll be a big loss. He definitely deserves it.

“It’s something he’s always wanted to do (go to the NRL) and we’re really happy for him as a club and as mates. Tommy (Leuluai) will go into that role now. He’ll have learned a lot and is very knowledgeable as well. He’s got a high game IQ. I’m sure Briersy will have been helping him along the way this year. “As much as it’ll be a loss with Briersy, it’s exciting times ahead for Tommy.”

Having finished second, Wigan had the benefit of a weekend off while Leeds had to head to Perpignan on Friday for a bruising elimination win against Catalans Dragons. French, who hopes to right the wrongs of Wigan’s 2020 Grand Final loss against St Helens, said: “It’s been nice to rest up. It’s been a long year and there’s been some short turnarounds. Everyone’s got little niggles so it’s helped and hopefully it helps get us into the Grand Final.”

And obviously French’s future is still up in the air with NRL clubs keen on his services for 2023 but Wigan desperate to keep him at DW Stadium.

“I still haven't made a decision yet,” he insisted, with his current deal soon set to expire. “I know it’s been a very long process. I’ve been happy with myself and how I’ve been playing and that’s coming down to just being chilled and relaxed about everything. I really don’t want to rush into anything. I’ve been honest with Matty (Peet) and the coaching staff and things going on in Australia.

“I really haven’t come to a conclusion yet and really just want to be chilled and focused on every game. My manager’s taken control of things and it’s going back and forth: Wigan here and teams back in Oz.” Asked when he thinks the final decision could be, French said: “It could be after the Grand Final or I could get a call tomorrow saying ‘this has happened.’ I’m not in a rush. My form is coming down to being so relaxed."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-25029135
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Kate83 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:35 pm https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 831362?amp

The article I was referring to above - basically word for word the same interview.
Your right just re ashed added it on bottom of another interview. Thought I'd seen that a few week back.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I am going to take some flack here but I have to be honest, Bevin French at this point knows all the offers through his agent and to say its a decision he has not decided on is rubbish. He knows the offers now and he is the one who makes the decision not his agent, having seen the info all he has to do is choose which one makes him happy job done. The only excuse for a delay is if the club is trying to sort accommodation etc for his brother & visa to stay, I hope this is true and he is not playing a Dutch Auction for his services.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:08 pm I am going to take some flack here but I have to be honest, Bevin French at this point knows all the offers through his agent and to say its a decision he has not decided on is rubbish. He knows the offers now and he is the one who makes the decision not his agent, having seen the info all he has to do is choose which one makes him happy job done. The only excuse for a delay is if the club is trying to sort accommodation etc for his brother & visa to stay, I hope this is true and he is not playing a Dutch Auction for his services.
It's hard to argue that when you say the only valid excuse is the current situation that is happening...
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

I don’t think so 😂😂 its the guy from Yorkshire who always chats with Bevan. He was in corporate last week 😊
[/quote]

It’s definitely sully that, wasn’t it Josie? He lives near me I see him all time, he’s always wearing something Wigan, lovely fella
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

shawxshark wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:45 am I don’t think so 😂😂 its the guy from Yorkshire who always chats with Bevan. He was in corporate last week 😊

It’s definitely sully that, wasn’t it Josie? He lives near me I see him all time, he’s always wearing something Wigan, lovely fella
[/quote]

I know who sully is and I also know who his dad his I'm old but not bloody senile I was with 2 ex wigan players not 5 foot away from him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shawxshark wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:45 am I don’t think so 😂😂 its the guy from Yorkshire who always chats with Bevan. He was in corporate last week 😊

[/quote]

Does he live in Wigan now? I always have a chat with him before games too. I don’t even know his name.
Yeah he always chats with Bevan as do I 😊 In fact one game I didn’t see him as I was doing something so missed him. Saw him after the game & he asked where I was as he thought I was ill & wasn’t at the game. As if!! 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan