Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Brennox7

Re: Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Post by Brennox7 »

That's the problem I think, if he stays then happy days we will all be made up. But by the time he says he's leaving, we won't be able to replace him having decent cap money and a quota spot available we will have to panic buy
jobo

Re: Bevin French gone to Newcastle Knights

Post by jobo »

CobraCraig wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:03 pm
God2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:21 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:14 pm

And from what I can gather, reading in between lines from comments made, he looks after & supports all his family financially.
Exactly why accept an inferior NRL contract when he could be set for life here with the right deal. The Sterling is stronger than the AUS $$. Newcastle won’t give him a million dollar contract.
The pound is getting weaker and weaker in comparison to the AUD, it’s been over 3 to the pound in this century but is now at a low of around 1.7. If it keeps heading that way taking a deal over here today will be worth a lot less to him back home in a few years time.
A half decent fullback in the NRL will be on around $700,000, if you believe the Aussie press, with top earners on a million plus.

An equivalent salary in sterling would be around £400,000.

As you say, the £ is trending weaker against nearly all major currencies so financially, he's a lot to consider.
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

It’s dragged on for far to long now it’s almost a carbon copy of the Jackson Hastings merry go round!

If he stays I’ll be absolutely thrilled but if he’s decided to leave then I wish nothing but the very best for him. But please Wigan / Bevan make a decision soon.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Do you not realise that sometimes players aren’t allowed to tell anyone when deals with other clubs are done, until the parties involved have given consent.

Listened to podcast with Sam Tomkins recently who said when he was going to NZ Warriors, it was agreed in like July / August but he couldn’t comment until end of season once Wigan had given approval.

I assume it’s so Wigan can find, sign, and announce replacements / alternative signings.

They’re also in season ticket renewal period so holding off on announcements for a bit will benefit the club!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

The thing that bugs me about things like this is the amount of people who get all riled up about lack of news. Same when it comes to silly season with transfers. Their is absolutely nothing you can actually do about it, so just chill and see what happens and when its announced.

For me, I don't see him staying unfortunately and I'm really hoping we get someone good in to cover him, however if he stays I'll obviously be delighted
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

DavidB wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm Do you not realise that sometimes players aren’t allowed to tell anyone when deals with other clubs are done, until the parties involved have given consent.

Listened to podcast with Sam Tomkins recently who said when he was going to NZ Warriors, it was agreed in like July / August but he couldn’t comment until end of season once Wigan had given approval.

I assume it’s so Wigan can find, sign, and announce replacements / alternative signings.

They’re also in season ticket renewal period so holding off on announcements for a bit will benefit the club!
French himself said in an interview that he nearly signed a deal with us but is waiting it out to see if an offer from the NRL comes in only a couple of weeks ago so if he’s signed with us or another team it’s only happened very recently or he’s a liar.
Both him and the club have been transparent on the matter. We’re his second favoured option (or 17th) and you can’t begrudge him that, and you can’t blame Wigan for waiting for him to make a decision, it’s just that if he decides to leave so late in the day it’s going to leave a lot of potential targets already signed up for next year.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

CobraCraig wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:29 pm
DavidB wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm Do you not realise that sometimes players aren’t allowed to tell anyone when deals with other clubs are done, until the parties involved have given consent.

French himself said in an interview that he nearly signed a deal with us but is waiting it out to see if an offer from the NRL comes in only a couple of weeks ago so if he’s signed with us or another team it’s only happened very recently or he’s a liar.
Both him and the club have been transparent on the matter. We’re his second favoured option (or 17th) and you can’t begrudge him that, and you can’t blame Wigan for waiting for him to make a decision, it’s just that if he decides to leave so late in the day it’s going to leave a lot of potential targets already signed up for next year.
According to the last club update we already have a target If French leaves so make of that what you will
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The only thing with Bevan is home or play for Wigan Warriors. Home is the big pull.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If he's going and the club knows, then fine. If he's staying then great! If he's still deciding and leaves at the last minute without us having chance to get a replacement, then that's the really bad scenario here. Mind you, who could you possibly get to replace him - we'd need another out of favour mercurial NRL reject.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:26 pm If he's going and the club knows, then fine. If he's staying then great! If he's still deciding and leaves at the last minute without us having chance to get a replacement, then that's the really bad scenario here. Mind you, who could you possibly get to replace him - we'd need another out of favour mercurial NRL reject.
I wasn't going to post as its not very clear or groundbreaking, and usually my posts like that gain a negative response, but I was told over a week ago French had made a decision & Wigan knew where he would be playing in 2023. (I shared this via DM with one user to see if they had heard the same) However, what that decision is I do not know. IN MY OPINION, I think he stays. I think Wigan's latest offer that I mentioned (now confirmed by Peet) and the fact there's been no announcement points towards that, If it was as simple as him going to the NRL, once he received an offer it would of been done and dusted & announced sharpish, Without Wigan having to time to improve their own offer.

Again to repeat, I do not know where he will be playing, its just my opinion that he stays.