Matty Nicholson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Charriots Offiah »

bertina wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:06 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:18 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Nobody's messed up he wanted to leave so they got money for him while they could. If they don't want to be here then go. Not be first or last. He even said taking a big risk. We will see how it pans out for the lad. Good luck to him
Agreed,just one of those things as you say good luck to him
I agree. Everyone's getting hot under the collar about Nicholson leaving as if he's the next Ellery Hanley or something. If the lad goes on to achieve great things, then good luck to him as you say.
As has been said already, we can't keep them all, and if you look over the years, Wigan more often than not get it right. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the lad was seeking more immediate assurances than the club were prepared to give him. Under those circumstances, and the lad thinks he can prosper better somewhere else, then the club have very little option but to let him go.
Management is about making tough decisions. Wigan has decided to retain certain players at the expense of one or two outstanding youngsters moving on. That may be the right decision and time will only tell. I am very much in the camp of letting players leave when they are past their best e.g., Hanley and Gregory and developing the young talent coming through the ranks. The club has made an error from which it needs to learn.
keptinthedarkfans
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I wish people would stop saying Wigan have made a error and should have kept him without knowing the facts. We do know that HE wanted to go because he believed he was worth a first team place. Let's just put a few things into perspective. He is a 16 year old who without doubt has talent. But wigan clearly felt that the correct way to nurture that talent was to let him get game time at a lower level on loan gradually building game time experience. For my money is not only the best way but also the right way from a duty of care to a 16 year old lad. As I stated in earlier post this lad feels he can run before learning to walk. No club would be able to keep any player who is in that mindset . And imo rightly so. All this blaming Wigan for letting a youngster go is laughable because as yet has no proven pedigree. He's gone good luck to him. I for one think Wigan did what they could and peets reaction on him going proves it.
Barney841
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Barney841 »

pedro wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:06 pm
Barney841 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:18 am
Gazlawrenson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm Cant blame the lad tbh ...just wants to play ...big talent we've let slip through our fingers there though ..but is his bigger than Bateman..faz or smithies ?
I wouldn’t call smithies one of the bigger players. Batty and faz are ahead of him all day long but remember faz is 32 now and we’ve kept hold of Isa, so letting him slip through our fingers could come back to bite us.
Maybe should of loaned him out to let him get regular first team experience, also who says he will achieve his potential?
he was at Newcastle
A loan in SL or even championship is better
cherry toffee
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by cherry toffee »

No-one can say for sure if he makes it or not , the club have to make an informed decision and hope it’s the right one . The thing for me is it could sway other young players at the club ,Wigan has always had a reputation for giving young players a chance , if one or two start leaving it could influence others.Nicholson is 18/19 not 16 as someone said earlier and he obviously thinks he’s ready and he’s backed his choice right or wrong. Thing is we could be having this conversation about Hallsall in 6 months time or Harvie Hill or one of the other young players
fozzieskem
Posts: 5382
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by fozzieskem »

This still being discussed?
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3621
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:15 pm I wish people would stop saying Wigan have made a error and should have kept him without knowing the facts. We do know that HE wanted to go because he believed he was worth a first team place. Let's just put a few things into perspective. He is a 16 year old who without doubt has talent. But wigan clearly felt that the correct way to nurture that talent was to let him get game time at a lower level on loan gradually building game time experience. For my money is not only the best way but also the right way from a duty of care to a 16 year old lad. As I stated in earlier post this lad feels he can run before learning to walk. No club would be able to keep any player who is in that mindset . And imo rightly so. All this blaming Wigan for letting a youngster go is laughable because as yet has no proven pedigree. He's gone good luck to him. I for one think Wigan did what they could and peets reaction on him going proves it.
He’s 18, not 16
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Gazlawrenson
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Gazlawrenson »

What I meant was is Nicholson a bigger Talent than smithies, ...and it's a tough one...smithies has been exceptional this year and is looking more and more like our 13 for the foreseeable.could you see Nicholson taking his place ?? End of the day the lad thinks hes ready for first team now and with his performances it's hard to disagree.like I said we've lost one there.
Barney841
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Barney841 »

Gazlawrenson wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:54 pm What I meant was is Nicholson a bigger Talent than smithies, ...and it's a tough one...smithies has been exceptional this year and is looking more and more like our 13 for the foreseeable.could you see Nicholson taking his place ?? End of the day the lad thinks hes ready for first team now and with his performances it's hard to disagree.like I said we've lost one there.
Smithies exceptional? Smithies our future number 13?
I must be the watching different games, I think he’s a couple of really good games and ok in the others.
I’ve nothing against the lad but I don’t think he’s s future 13, I don’t think he’s got the brains or discipline (his discipline has improved slightly). I wouldn’t be surprised if we seen him leave in future either
Gazlawrenson
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Gazlawrenson »

Correct....you must be watchin different games :lol: :lol:
Barney841
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by Barney841 »

Gazlawrenson wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:48 pm Correct....you must be watchin different games :lol: :lol:
Yep. Because one thing I do know intelligent players play the 13 role and you think smithies is that one?!?
Locked