Matty Nicholson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Matty Nicholson

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:04 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm
southportcdm wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 pm We can't keep them all but it looks like somebody has messed up badly here. MOM in first game for wire.
Nobody's messed up he wanted to leave so they got money for him while they could. If they don't want to be here then go. Not be first or last. He even said taking a big risk. We will see how it pans out for the lad. Good luck to him
Why did he want to leave though?

1 - more money
2 - quicker pathway to starting 13
3 - better culture, facilities etc
4 - falling out at Wigan
5 - other?
Because he wasn't happy. That could be a hundred reasons. What im 100% sure of is he was wanted and liked at wigan. He is 16 and looking at it imo is he wants to run before he can walk like I said we will see how it pans out for him. Does no one any good being somewhere they don't want to be.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The fact that Matty Peet was so upset about losing NIcholson implies that he feels we've lost a good one and
Matty wasn't expecting it. If the lad had a plan in place (and/or was approached on the quiet) to leave there is nothing we could have done. Nicholson was behind several other players in the pecking order and wouldn't have been first choice for some time and I can see what we were trying to do sending him on lone etc. My point is though is that he does appear to be an exceptional talent and perhaps we should have done something about that. We can all see why he's behind Faz, Bateman etc but did we give him the impression that he was behind Smithies, Partington, Shorrocks and McDonnell in the pecking order? What I saw yesterday made me think that he should have been treated a a special case. I accept that you can't do that with all the young talent and the club may well have done everything right. It's just painful when we lose a good one and, let's be honest, he's stood out from that first preseason game for Newcastle when he was the best player on the pitch. The chances are that he'll be off to Australia at the first opportunity so perhaps wire won't get too much out of him.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 am The fact that Matty Peet was so upset about losing NIcholson implies that he feels we've lost a good one and
Matty wasn't expecting it. If the lad had a plan in place (and/or was approached on the quiet) to leave there is nothing we could have done. Nicholson was behind several other players in the pecking order and wouldn't have been first choice for some time and I can see what we were trying to do sending him on lone etc. My point is though is that he does appear to be an exceptional talent and perhaps we should have done something about that. We can all see why he's behind Faz, Bateman etc but did we give him the impression that he was behind Smithies, Partington, Shorrocks and McDonnell in the pecking order? What I saw yesterday made me think that he should have been treated a a special case. I accept that you can't do that with all the young talent and the club may well have done everything right. It's just painful when we lose a good one and, let's be honest, he's stood out from that first preseason game for Newcastle when he was the best player on the pitch. The chances are that he'll be off to Australia at the first opportunity so perhaps wire won't get too much out of him.
In my opinion these players won't become regular starters for Wigan in the future. I don't think they are going to be able to get to the level needed.

Disappointing if those players salary and pecking order have resulted in Nicholson leaving. Only heard positive things about him from those that have watched him in the academy. He didn't look bad on his Wigan debut and looked great for Wire.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:55 pm
southportcdm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 am The fact that Matty Peet was so upset about losing NIcholson implies that he feels we've lost a good one and
In my opinion these players won't become regular starters for Wigan in the future. I don't think they are going to be able to get to the level needed.

Disappointing if those players salary and pecking order have resulted in Nicholson leaving. Only heard positive things about him from those that have watched him in the academy. He didn't look bad on his Wigan debut and looked great for Wire.
I know what your saying but with Matty at 18 and the others being a little older with more experience, Peet might of thought he was doing him what’s best for him.
I think he may of become a regular more next season, especially with us maybe losing partington
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Has Mcdonell signed up yet , last I saw he was being linked with Leigh I know we can’t keep everyone but Nicholson really seems to have something special about him and maybe Wigan took their eye off the ball with him
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

cherry toffee wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:38 pm Has Mcdonell signed up yet , last I saw he was being linked with Leigh I know we can’t keep everyone but Nicholson really seems to have something special about him and maybe Wigan took their eye off the ball with him
There's no maybe about it, they definitely did. Whilst I agree it is not possible to keep every player in a salary capped sport Wigan need to retain their best prospects.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Agree with that Charriots I know that sometimes there are late developers that you miss out on but you just have to bite the bullet with those but Nicholson had been outstanding sInce scholarship, Partington has also had enough time for the club to make a decision on him and the new contract for Isa could be a contributing factor
bertina

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:18 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm
southportcdm wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 pm We can't keep them all but it looks like somebody has messed up badly here. MOM in first game for wire.
Nobody's messed up he wanted to leave so they got money for him while they could. If they don't want to be here then go. Not be first or last. He even said taking a big risk. We will see how it pans out for the lad. Good luck to him
Agreed,just one of those things as you say good luck to him
I agree. Everyone's getting hot under the collar about Nicholson leaving as if he's the next Ellery Hanley or something. If the lad goes on to achieve great things, then good luck to him as you say.
As has been said already, we can't keep them all, and if you look over the years, Wigan more often than not get it right. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the lad was seeking more immediate assurances than the club were prepared to give him. Under those circumstances, and the lad thinks he can prosper better somewhere else, then the club have very little option but to let him go.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Gazlawrenson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm Cant blame the lad tbh ...just wants to play ...big talent we've let slip through our fingers there though ..but is his bigger than Bateman..faz or smithies ?
I wouldn’t call smithies one of the bigger players. Batty and faz are ahead of him all day long but remember faz is 32 now and we’ve kept hold of Isa, so letting him slip through our fingers could come back to bite us.
Maybe should of loaned him out to let him get regular first team experience, also who says he will achieve his potential?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:18 am
Gazlawrenson wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm Cant blame the lad tbh ...just wants to play ...big talent we've let slip through our fingers there though ..but is his bigger than Bateman..faz or smithies ?
I wouldn’t call smithies one of the bigger players. Batty and faz are ahead of him all day long but remember faz is 32 now and we’ve kept hold of Isa, so letting him slip through our fingers could come back to bite us.
Maybe should of loaned him out to let him get regular first team experience, also who says he will achieve his potential?
he was at Newcastle