Salford want Partington.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
lucky 13

Re: Salford want Partington.

Post by lucky 13 »

I hoped and still do that he makes the step up. Cas away he was very good, your hoping he follows that up with more of the same..... But ?
Always had decent hands if only he carried some run threat with that.
Obviously it can develop look at Byrne he's started to look a real handful maybe helped with more go forward from other players, but you would expect Oli P to have found the same Byrne obviously carries natural size. What I do find frustrating is the silly pens like the one at the scrum our ball six tackles in there 20. Huddersfield away with a weak team was the same drop ball followed by a penalty from the oppo line to conceding a try in less than a minute then 5th tackle we worked to keep them in their 20m charge down 5th tackle kick WHAT? That's been a reccuring issue in his game one that's not gone away.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 pm
wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 pm Partington is very good with the ball in hand for a forward. That's his strength.

But that alone doesn't make up for the lack of yardage, missed tackles & iffy temperament.
Agreed with that. Would people be desperate to keep him if he hadn’t come from the system ? As for his potential I’m still yet too see improvement in the last 3 years where as havard smithies Byrne have all kicked on
How can a prop be very good with ball
In hand yet he doesn’t make yardage? That doesn’t make sense at all!!!!
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think there is logic (specifically to Partington) as he is a prop who has played at loose and hasn't looked too bad with ball in hand. Different in the sense that hasn't the weight and apparent willingness to always look for a offload like Mago, but still in his own sense good with the ball.
doc

Post by doc »

Shorrocks is a much better ball handler than Partington and runs better lines, but again, too small for the modern game (he's smaller than Oli).
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I really don't get all this "Too small for the modern day" malarkey, in todays game the majority of props look as big as the centres did 25/30 year back, where are the big men we used to see rampaging around the pitch (Feka, Vila Matautia, Dean Samson, Joe Vagana, Cowie & Tez etc). I have a feeling that saying a player is Too Small is just a way of saying the player is shite without offending said player and his devout followers?, then again I could be talking rubbish again, either way I can see Partington being a Championship player within 2 to 3 seasons
doc

Post by doc »

From club website:

Partington 95.4 kg (15 st)

Shorrocks 87.5 kg (13 st 11 lb)

Tommy 91.4 kg (14 st 6 lb)

Singleton 108 kg (17 st)

Powell 89.9 kg (14 st 2 lb)

Isa 90.9 kg (14 st 4 lb)

Farrell 96 kg (15 st 2 lb)

Bateman 96 kg (15 st 2 lb)

Smithies 100.4 kg (15 st 11 lb)

Byrne 113.1 kg (17 st 11 lb)

Havard 101.7 kg (16 st)

KPP 100.9 kg (15 st 12 lb)

McDonnell 98 kg (15 st 6 lb)

No data for Ellis, Mago or Silva

Partington is a stone lighter than the next smallest prop, Havard and lighter than most of the back rowers.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

doc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:06 pm Shorrocks is a much better ball handler than Partington and runs better lines, but again, too small for the modern game (he's smaller than Oli).
I think Shorrocks could easily become a SL hooker but not here over Brad O'Neill.

He's just too small to be a loose forward where he would shine if bigger.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree with comments about Shorrocks being a better ball playing lock than Partington.

I also don't fully subscribe to the 'too small camp', obviously statistically he is lighter and smaller than others as someone has posted, for me though, I don't think that paints the complete picture. I personally this his lack of controlled aggression is Partingtons achilles' heel.

I certainly don't think Shorrocks is a hooker (over loose).
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:42 pm I really don't get all this "Too small for the modern day" malarkey, in todays game the majority of props look as big as the centres did 25/30 year back, where are the big men we used to see rampaging around the pitch (Feka, Vila Matautia, Dean Samson, Joe Vagana, Cowie & Tez etc). I have a feeling that saying a player is Too Small is just a way of saying the player is shite without offending said player and his devout followers?, then again I could be talking rubbish again, either way I can see Partington being a Championship player within 2 to 3 seasons
I could be wrong but I reckon on the whole the props are as big and probably more athletic I reckon they may now look smaller as the size of the outside backs and second rowers are much bigger.
Partington I have said before I think can be a good player if he can put on a stone or two of muscle which may be possible with age but that’s not going to be an over night thing.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

doc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:33 pm From club website:

Partington 95.4 kg (15 st)

Shorrocks 87.5 kg (13 st 11 lb)

Tommy 91.4 kg (14 st 6 lb)

Singleton 108 kg (17 st)

Powell 89.9 kg (14 st 2 lb)

Isa 90.9 kg (14 st 4 lb)

Farrell 96 kg (15 st 2 lb)

Bateman 96 kg (15 st 2 lb)

Smithies 100.4 kg (15 st 11 lb)

Byrne 113.1 kg (17 st 11 lb)

Havard 101.7 kg (16 st)

KPP 100.9 kg (15 st 12 lb)

McDonnell 98 kg (15 st 6 lb)

No data for Ellis, Mago or Silva

Partington is a stone lighter than the next smallest prop, Havard and lighter than most of the back rowers.
The club needs to update those stats.