Luke Thompson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wgwr1999

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:35 pm
wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm
Barney841 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:45 pm You sign the best players if you can.
Thompson would be the best player in the pack if he signed.
He’s ahead of our current props fact
I would argue he's ahead of all SL & a LOT of NRL props.

There's a reason why Storm wanted him. We're lucky to even be in the conversation to be honest.
Pretty sure he was offered to the storm in the off season as the dogs want him off the cap ( he’s on 800k) but they turned it down. Whatever Phil Gould says the opposite happens anyway. He chats utter shite. Luke will be in sl next year
To quote the Daily Telegraph:

"Melbourne were sniffing round the Super League Grand Final winner with Storm losing veteran prop Jesse Bromwich to the Dolphins... Thompson was reportedly offered to the Wests Tigers before the season started but he previously said he was determined to stay at Belmore."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Anyone else heard about Luke supposedly being at Robin Park earlier in the month?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

wgwr1999 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:38 am
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:35 pm
wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm

I would argue he's ahead of all SL & a LOT of NRL props.

There's a reason why Storm wanted him. We're lucky to even be in the conversation to be honest.
Pretty sure he was offered to the storm in the off season as the dogs want him off the cap ( he’s on 800k) but they turned it down. Whatever Phil Gould says the opposite happens anyway. He chats utter shite. Luke will be in sl next year
To quote the Daily Telegraph:

"Melbourne were sniffing round the Super League Grand Final winner with Storm losing veteran prop Jesse Bromwich to the Dolphins... Thompson was reportedly offered to the Wests Tigers before the season started but he previously said he was determined to stay at Belmore."
Fair enough. I’m guessing they couldn’t fit him on the cap
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
coxy2912

Post by coxy2912 »

For me, and this is just speculation, if we do sign Thompson, there is no way we would be keeping Bevan aswell. There just wouldn't be enough room in the salary cap, as I see it. Personally, I'd rather French, if it was one or the other.

Surely no one can see us keeping French, signing Thompson and having Bateman on his Marquee contract?
coxy2912

Post by coxy2912 »

Also heard Partington to Hull, not Salford.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

coxy2912 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:47 pm For me, and this is just speculation, if we do sign Thompson, there is no way we would be keeping Bevan aswell. There just wouldn't be enough room in the salary cap, as I see it. Personally, I'd rather French, if it was one or the other.

Surely no one can see us keeping French, signing Thompson and having Bateman on his Marquee contract?
The way I understand it, the marquee system is more about getting as much salary cap off the books as possible.

If our marquee players are Bateman & Thompson, their combined cap hit would be £150,000.
If Bevan is one of the marquee players, his salary cap would be £150,000 ALONE.

It's just salary cap gymnastics & with our academy production, the quota is all that's limiting us it seems.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

wgwr1999 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:26 pm
coxy2912 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:47 pm For me, and this is just speculation, if we do sign Thompson, there is no way we would be keeping Bevan aswell. There just wouldn't be enough room in the salary cap, as I see it. Personally, I'd rather French, if it was one or the other.

The way I understand it, the marquee system is more about getting as much salary cap off the books as possible.

If our marquee players are Bateman & Thompson, their combined cap hit would be £150,000.

It's just salary cap gymnastics & with our academy production, the quota is all that's limiting us it seems.
Can’t see quota spots being a trouble for a while. Our pack is set for a while now. Same with the half’s, 9 and fb. I think wardle is still very much on the table for next year. Not much recruitment needs to be done over the next 2 years
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

wgwr1999 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Batty and Thompson would count as £150k each.
coxy2912

Post by coxy2912 »

Sorry, I meant I know above the Marquee 150k is off the books, but I'm not sure the club with pay big bucks for French, Thompson, Field and Batty. May be wrong and hope so ...