Luke Thompson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by Charriots Offiah »

wgwr1999 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:07 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:39 pm
wgwr1999 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:10 pm

"Home Grown" shouldn't just be academy prospects though because that only works for Wigan & Saints.

For example, if Huddersfield offered Pryce the marquee but Newcastle are giving the same or even less money, where is the incentive to stay at a "mid tier" team? Whereas let's say Wigan offered him the marquee money & the chance to challenge for major honours, he is more likely to stay.

The law is good in theory but poor in execution imo -- bit like the entire salary cap to be honest.
It’s up to the other clubs to invest and produce young players rather than spending money on has been’s. We need to raise the bar not lower it..
What are you on about? That's not even remotely close to what I said?

You can't "produce" young players like KPP & Pryce when they leave at the ripe old age of 20 because the teams who CAN offer domestic success & more often than not a better route to international rugby aren't incentivised by the RFL who incorporate a comedically low salary cap compared to the NRL. My point is that if the RFL actually wanted to keep English/British talent in the Super League, the "club trained" rule should become the "home grown" rule that we see in the Premier League, for example. This obviously also goes for French players.

But this seems to be a matter of misunderstood words on a forum about the potential signing of Luke Thompson so let's get back on topic.
You said that academy prospects only work for Wigan and Saints which implies that it doesn’t work for any other team. Hence my comment that it is for the others to get their house in order.

Going on to your next point, players are only interested in money. Otherwise why has Bateman given up marquee money to play for Wests Tigers?
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I think every player wants to play/stay in the NRL to be fair. But money talks unfortunately. Williams said a few weeks ago he wanted another crack at the NRL and he signs an extension a week after.

Bevan probably got offered far more than at Newcastle knights.

I reckon Thompson could easily be swayed. I’m sure he left saints on bad terms an all.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:21 am
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:45 pm Did tell everyone he was the top target.... He's interested in coming but is waiting for other NRL offers before making a decision.
He might come to Wigan.

Or

He might stay in the NRL

Great insight.
That's not the insight, the Insight Is I've said for the past 18 months Wigan wanted him when his current NRL deal expired and he was our top target.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:45 pm Did tell everyone he was the top target.... He's interested in coming but is waiting for other NRL offers before making a decision.
He might come to Wigan.

Or

He might stay in the NRL

Great insight.
That's not the insight, the Insight Is I've said for the past 18 months Wigan wanted him when his current NRL deal expired and he was our top target.
Fair play Dan. You’ve had a few spot on recently. Wardle, French deal and now Wigan in market for Thompson!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If we are interested in Thompson for next season I hope we wait until he's proven his fitness and check that his head assessments are O.K. He was an excellent Super League prop but is presently a damaged and average NRL prop. Our immediate concern should be to sort out some kind of cover for this season now that Singleton is going to be out for eight weeks or so.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Boss addresses Luke Thompson speculation

WIGAN WARRIORS head coach Matt Peet has addressed speculation over making a move for former St Helens prop Luke Thompson.

Infamous Australian journalist The Mole at the Wide World of Sports linked Thompson with a massive four-year deal at Wigan after spending the past few seasons with the Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL.

In a piece on the site, The Mole wrote: “Thompson comes off contract at the end of the season and has received a massive four-year deal from the rich Wigan club.

It’s money the Bulldogs can’t match so ultimately it will come down to whether he wants to stay in Australia for the lifestyle or return home to take up a deal that will secure his future long-term.

“Complicating the situation is that Thompson has two managers – one in the UK and one in Sydney.”

Now Peet has had his say on the speculation.

“He’s certainly a player I admire,” Peet said in his weekly press conference.

“He obviously came through at St Helens and he’s fantastic player. He’s a player that we track and we keep an eye on what’s happening there.

“As far as the report and the figures in the story quoted, it was false.

“But he is a player that we and I admire and would be interested if he was to become available.

“But in so far as the figures being tossed about, it wasn’t factual that story.”

Thompson has made 38 appearances for the Bulldogs after registering 163 appearances for boyhood club St Helens between 2013 and 2020.

https://www.totalrl.com/wigan-warriors- ... eculation/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He might come to Wigan.

Or

He might stay in the NRL

Great insight.
Any more juicy rumours Dan?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 am
JimmyMagnets wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:36 am He's from St Helens josie
Oh, right. Thought he went to school & was mates with Oliver Gildart.
They went to St Edmund Arrowsmith like my good self (about 15 years after me mind), which is in Ashton and has a mix of Wiganers and Haydockers. Thompson is from Haydock but it’s a mixed bag there, with more people supporting Saints than Wigan from my experience. It used to be great in school when we won a Derby but a nightmare when we didn’t :lol:

As for Thompson himself, I think it’s too risky. It’ll be big money, injuries are creeping in and he has concussion issues. I’d be looking elsewhere but we’ll see.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

medlocke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:01 pm

He might come to Wigan.

Or

He might stay in the NRL

Great insight.
Any more juicy rumours Dan?
Nothing at the moment, mentioned Mago would probably be leaving a while back but I think thats obviously going to happen now & wouldn't shock anyone
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Heard Luke Thompson could have been approached to come to Wigan from a good source, but he has had problems with head injuries ( Concussion ) so hope its sorted.