Luke Thompson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
WIGIAN

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by WIGIAN »

Singleton to Salford seems to be a strong rumour

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-26735051
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I cant see how we can compete with any NRL club financially unless

A) LT is in a George Burgess situation where the NRL teams know he's crocked

B) He doesnt want to stay in Austrailia
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:53 am Heard Luke Thompson could have been approached to come to Wigan from a good source, but he has had problems with head injuries ( Concussion ) so hope its sorted.
For this season dd?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

As good as he is, 38 games since 2020 and no games this season make him way too much of a risk, especially at the salary he would expect. We would be better off spending that money on someone else for sure
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 am As good as he is, 38 games since 2020 and no games this season make him way too much of a risk, especially at the salary he would expect. We would be better off spending that money on someone else for sure
Tend to agree. But my personal feelings is there's more chance of me playing for Wigan in 2024 than Thompson. Theres a lot of old recycled news coming back up. 2 agents in 2 countries drumming up player's and there wages as its quite obvious no one is willing to go anywhere near his present salary. He wants to stay in Australia so expect that to happen. He may come back in 5 years for a last pay day if still playing.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:02 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 am As good as he is, 38 games since 2020 and no games this season make him way too much of a risk, especially at the salary he would expect. We would be better off spending that money on someone else for sure
Tend to agree. But my personal feelings is there's more chance of me playing for Wigan in 2024 than Thompson. Theres a lot of old recycled news coming back up. 2 agents in 2 countries drumming up player's and there wages as its quite obvious no one is willing to go anywhere near his present salary. He wants to stay in Australia so expect that to happen. He may come back in 5 years for a last pay day if still playing.
And Warrington will probably pay him handsomely
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:02 pm
But with his record why would any NRL team go near him?
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I imagine we would be the fallback option if no AU's clubs are prepared to take a risk - especially if his ankle doesn't fully recover this season in time to prove himself.

It has all the hallmarks of being turned down late in the day or signing a player still with injury concerns. Either way looks a high risk gamble to count on him and not have a back up option in time.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The more I think about Thompson the more I go off the idea and I was a big fan a couple of seasons ago. If he doesn't play again this season we absolutely should not sign him. It seems that he wants to stay over there so if no NRL clubs fancy him they'll have their reasons. Any potential head injury issues are now being hidden by the fact that he's not playing so we mustn't fall into the trap of thinking his concussion issues have gone away.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Big Steve wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:57 pm I imagine we would be the fallback option if no AU's clubs are prepared to take a risk - especially if his ankle doesn't fully recover this season in time to prove himself.

It has all the hallmarks of being turned down late in the day or signing a player still with injury concerns. Either way looks a high risk gamble to count on him and not have a back up option in time.
His ankle is well ahead of schedule apparently. Early talk was at least 6 months but I read the other day that he’ll be back in around a month. Not that it would change my mind on going for him. Too much risk, for a player so expensive. I also worry how motivated he would be to play for Wigan, given he was a Saints fan and came through there. I remember Waney talking about playing for Leeds just not being the same as it was playing for Wigan. There are plenty of good options available Down Under, who are cheaper and less risky. We just need the quota spots opened up.