New Winger

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Re: New Winger

Post by Dan2266 »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:29 pm
DaiJones wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 pm I notice Jacob Smillie scored for our reserves this week. Is he the same Jacob Smillie who was the very quick winger who used to play for Halifax? Perhaps we've signed/ are trialing him
Looks like him on pics I've just looked at, Is he any good?
Possibly in on trial then?

Wiki says he plays for Swinton but he's not listed on Swintons website in the squad tab
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

He is very quick and explosive. I seem to remember he scored a length of the field try for Fax a couple of years ago and it did the rounds on social media with Martin Offiah commenting approvingly.

Smillie used to play for Swinton as well as Halifax but has recently been flirting with NFL and trying out for their International Player Pathway. That mustn't have worked out (it is notoriously difficult to get into American Football however talented an athlete you are as Christian Wade, the England RU wing has illustrated).
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:53 am
Brennox7 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:42 am It'll be another project player no doubt. Probably Ritson from Barrow
Is he not going to Saints? Sure I've seen that somewhere
Let saints have him. Speedster but that’s it, not good defensively
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Weren't we exploring the possibility of Walmsley at some point I seem to recall?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:48 am Weren't we exploring the possibility of Walmsley at some point I seem to recall?
If you're on about Lachlan that was a load of rubbish last year, He'd already signed for Halifax by the time the Wigan rumours surfaced, seem to remember arguing with someone about it.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

I expect it to be some young British flyer or some "Dom Young" type prospect but is Tom Davies now available?

Or are they going to keep 3 starting wingers given Johnstone's injury history -- which is what I would do.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Dom Young would be an interesting signing. Would he leave the NRL at this point?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

DaiJones wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:35 pm Dom Young would be an interesting signing. Would he leave the NRL at this point?
Signing a new contract keeping him there for another 3 seasons
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dom Young would have maybe been a shout earlier in the season but he's really grown into his game the longer the season has gone on. Newcastle really attack down their flanks so him & Edrick Lee shine.

I think the only case we could sign him now is homesickness but I feel like he'd dominate over here on every high ball. I would love to see us develop another Budgie type player - his NRL stint ruined one of the best winger prospects we have had.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wgwr1999 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 pm Dom Young would have maybe been a shout earlier in the season but he's really grown into his game the longer the season has gone on. Newcastle really attack down their flanks so him & Edrick Lee shine.

I think the only case we could sign him now is homesickness but I feel like he'd dominate over here on every high ball. I would love to see us develop another Budgie type player - his NRL stint ruined one of the best winger prospects we have had.
Agreed.

Was bordering on world class at some points with us before his move.

Had the world at his feet, made a bad decision and hasn’t looked the same since. Had some good games for us on his return but he wasn’t the same player, started to make a lot of errors, lost a bit of speed, a few injuries.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."