Potential Outs

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Potential Outs

Post by CheshireWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:06 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:02 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:04 pm

I'd have also thought it was based on who was contracted in 2023. Which includes Mago, Miski and sadly Powell. If the club is into ripping contracts Powell's should be first.

As to Partington, someone had to leave given we have Cooper, Singleton, Byrne, Mago, Ellis and Harvard as props. Seven props in a salary capped SL is too many so given he's not as good as any of them, he's the obvious choice.
I can see the logical as it stands in 2022 going into 2023 why the front row needs to reduce numbers and id be the first to admit we have better options ahead of Partington, he's certainly a player id like to see return in maybe two or three years, especially if he puts slight weight on and gains a lot of valuable playing experience at Salford.

As for Powell, I think a percentage of his longevity at the club is very much revolving around his conduct, loyalty and all round nice guy reputation. I've never subscribed to the school of thought that he is a terrible player. For me, my first hooker was Terry Newton who I clearly recall, its very hard for me to think of hooker from Newton onwards (taking into consideration different styles) who'd be below par when compared with Powell. Higham, Micky Mac, Riddell, Tommy L even O'Neill have played with more conviction in one sense or another.

The biggest red flag for me is that many fans on here highlight Powell's inability or borderline performance's, but it seems to be oblivious to the coaching staff. As I've said he isn't poor and I'm sure he is 100% Wigan through and through, I just don't think he's the answer and sadly at 30/31, I don't see how it changes. As other have said on here, I guess it depends on how you see a hooker, defensive or attacking. Its a subject which will never end even after his retirement or departure and is surrounded in controversy :lol: .
He actually said to me months ago when I asked him was he going to Salford ‘I’ll be back in 2 years’!
I really do hope so Josie, I think he offers far more than the criticism he has received at times. Still what do I know :lol:
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:15 pm

I can see the logical as it stands in 2022 going into 2023 why the front row needs to reduce numbers and id be the first to admit we have better options ahead of Partington, he's certainly a player id like to see return in maybe two or three years, especially if he puts slight weight on and gains a lot of valuable playing experience at Salford.

As for Powell, I think a percentage of his longevity at the club is very much revolving around his conduct, loyalty and all round nice guy reputation. I've never subscribed to the school of thought that he is a terrible player. For me, my first hooker was Terry Newton who I clearly recall, its very hard for me to think of hooker from Newton onwards (taking into consideration different styles) who'd be below par when compared with Powell. Higham, Micky Mac, Riddell, Tommy L even O'Neill have played with more conviction in one sense or another.

The biggest red flag for me is that many fans on here highlight Powell's inability or borderline performance's, but it seems to be oblivious to the coaching staff. As I've said he isn't poor and I'm sure he is 100% Wigan through and through, I just don't think he's the answer and sadly at 30/31, I don't see how it changes. As other have said on here, I guess it depends on how you see a hooker, defensive or attacking. Its a subject which will never end even after his retirement or departure and is surrounded in controversy :lol: .
He actually said to me months ago when I asked him was he going to Salford ‘I’ll be back in 2 years’!
I really do hope so Josie, I think he offers far more than the criticism he has received at times. Still what do I know :lol:
I think he just got unlucky. He broke through with Morgan & Ethan so got overshadowed as just some angry lad who liked to wind up the other team. Then Byrne has had a breakthrough year under the same coach who brought him to Wigan in the first place with Matty.

He's just the odd one out & will be even further down the pecking order with the likes of Harvie Hill coming through.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:15 pm

His attitude is second to none in our club, he bleeds Wigan. If the lad was the size of Mago he would be a world beater.
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:15 am
Pieman13 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:12 am Can't see Halsall being let go yet but hope it's true about the rest.

I'd add S. Powell too, I'm sure a few clubs would take him off us. He simply doesn't offer us enough for such an important role. Cust to 9, or new 9 for me.

Mago is hopeless, he's liability in defence, knackered after 5 mins and the last few months he hasn't even made a dent in the line. Look at Saints Passi for example he leaves him for dead. Also his fitness isn't going to improve if Wayne Bennett's souths couldn't get him fit. Bad signing.

Ellis looked promising early on, had some impressive stats but went all steady, less aggressive and then got less minutes. With him taking a quota spot I'd be fine letting him go. Also think we could do better than Singleton, unless he's on peanuts.

The tail end of the season Cooper & Havard were by far are best props stats wise, should be are starting props next year.

We should go get D. Alvaro off Toulouse before someone else does. His stats were great at Toulouse, got plenty size and may not count on quota with him playing for Italy. Be miles better than Mago.
I can 100% see Halsall leaving on loan. He needs SL game time and with Wardle & King incoming, I don't see that happening here especially considering that Peet wasn't even playing him over Isa & Bibby at times this season.
Didn't think about a loan, yeah could see that happening if we bring in another centre. Worked well for Charnley, came back a great player.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Pieman13 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:49 am
wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:15 am
Pieman13 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:12 am Can't see Halsall being let go yet but hope it's true about the rest.

I'd add S. Powell too, I'm sure a few clubs would take him off us. He simply doesn't offer us enough for such an important role. Cust to 9, or new 9 for me.

Mago is hopeless, he's liability in defence, knackered after 5 mins and the last few months he hasn't even made a dent in the line. Look at Saints Passi for example he leaves him for dead. Also his fitness isn't going to improve if Wayne Bennett's souths couldn't get him fit. Bad signing.

Ellis looked promising early on, had some impressive stats but went all steady, less aggressive and then got less minutes. With him taking a quota spot I'd be fine letting him go. Also think we could do better than Singleton, unless he's on peanuts.

The tail end of the season Cooper & Havard were by far are best props stats wise, should be are starting props next year.

We should go get D. Alvaro off Toulouse before someone else does. His stats were great at Toulouse, got plenty size and may not count on quota with him playing for Italy. Be miles better than Mago.
I can 100% see Halsall leaving on loan. He needs SL game time and with Wardle & King incoming, I don't see that happening here especially considering that Peet wasn't even playing him over Isa & Bibby at times this season.
Didn't think about a loan, yeah could see that happening if we bring in another centre. Worked well for Charnley, came back a great player.
From what I understand, our centres options in 2023 are going to be Wardle, King, KPP & Thornley pending any youth promotions like O'Keefe or shock signings like Whare -- who could replace Iain if he leaves as Dan expects.

It was also confirmed that Halsall's loan move to Hull FC collapsed around Magic Weekend last year but that Wigan were 100% trying to get him Super League game time. To me, a full year at Wakefield would do him the world of good to replace the retired Tupou, departing Johnstone and/or aging Lyne.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

One way to give Halsall SL game time is to play him off the bench.
He can play centre or wing which should suit our new line up.

Our backs next year could line up as - Field, French, King, Thornley/New Recruit, Marshall, Cust & Smith. Should Jai cop a knock then Bevan to fb with Halsall wing.
If a winger is out then Sam Halsall slots in.
Maybe a half back is out then Jai at HB, Bevan fb and Sam H wing.

There's mention of Isa & KPP filling these positions but there's no long term future with either. Next year either or both could well be needed in the back row.
If Sam H were to be selected for most games then changes due to injuries or suspensions would be minimal.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can see where you're coming from Wiganer Ted, Sam could provide good cover on the wing and he's excellent under the high ball. I hope he's given his chance with us next season but if not, a lone spell could be valuable so long as we don't lose him completely. I see he's made the England Knights squad so he can't be all that far off SL standard.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:55 pm One way to give Halsall SL game time is to play him off the bench.

Our backs next year could line up as - Field, French, King, Thornley/New Recruit, Marshall, Cust & Smith. Should Jai cop a knock then Bevan to fb with Halsall wing.

There's mention of Isa & KPP filling these positions but there's no long term future with either. Next year either or both could well be needed in the back row.
If Sam H were to be selected for most games then changes due to injuries or suspensions would be minimal.
Have you wrote Miski off Ted?
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:55 pm One way to give Halsall SL game time is to play him off the bench.

Whilst I understand the point, it's neither likely or logical to game plan for injuries to your backs with how few & far between they are. The only time you'd play an outside back off the bench is for resting players during the busy periods in the season.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Have you wrote Miski off Ted?
I don't think anyone is "writing off" Miski because there was never any upside to having him as anything more than an emergancy backup winger.

Like what does he ACTUALLY excel at? At 27, those aren't the questions that should be asked.