“Surprise Signing”

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
StanleyJean1

Re: “Surprise Signing”

Post by StanleyJean1 »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am We are pretty well stocked at Prop though so I’d say it’s highly unlikely .
True, but with rumours of Bateman leaving this could signal a shift of Smithies slotting in at second rower with Thompson taking the 13 shirt perhaps? He’s played loose at Canterbury so it isn’t a position that’s new to him

8 Havard
9 Powell
10 Cooper
11 Farrell
12 Smithies
13 Thompson

All ifs and buts but I’d take that pack in a heartbeat!
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

StanleyJean1 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:43 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am We are pretty well stocked at Prop though so I’d say it’s highly unlikely .
True, but with rumours of Bateman leaving this could signal a shift of Smithies slotting in at second rower with Thompson taking the 13 shirt perhaps? He’s played loose at Canterbury so it isn’t a position that’s new to him

8 Havard
9 Powell
10 Cooper
11 Farrell
12 Smithies
13 Thompson

Think you're forgetting about KPP. He'd instantly start at second row with Morgan staying at loose.
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

wgwr1999 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:12 pm
StanleyJean1 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:43 pm

8 Havard
9 Powell
10 Cooper
11 Farrell
12 Smithies
13 Thompson

Think you're forgetting about KPP. He'd instantly start at second row with Morgan staying at loose.
I honestly forgotten about KPP! Either way a great looking pack

Let’s hope there’s some truth in Dans speculation
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Any potential signing must be weighed up against the possibility of a player wanting more first team action/returning home/moving onto another challenge

It is not out the realms of possibility that any from Cust/Mago/Ellis might want to return back home (note I said might). It could be that Miski doesn't fancy another year in the reserves with less opportunity for an appearances than Santa!

In truth it could be none of the above and it could be that Wigan are prepared to let KPP and/or Bateman go (so no overseas spots available)

I can't imagine it would be another back unless Cust leaves (then Mason Lino is the most likely arrival IMO). Something makes me think that with Farrell likely to miss a chunk of the start of next season and Isa no longer good enough for a starting position, that it will potentially be a back row signing
Back by demand.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Farrell will have recovered next month so not sure how he misses pre season
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

I think the only "guaranteed" forwards going into the season are Havard, Byrne, Bateman, Farrell, Smithies, KPP & Cooper.

I could easily see the club moving on from Isa, Singleton & even Mago or Ellis if there is interest in any or all of them especially if a young lad impresses Matty in training/preseason or we get the chance to bring in Thompson.
God2

Post by God2 »

We are forgetting Harvey Hill who imo is the best prop in his age group.

If we are to recruit Thompson then 3 players will have to leave 100%.

Partington already gone. I would sacrifice Singleton, Ellis, Bateman and Shorrocks. O’Neil and Cust in the hooking role. I’d also sacrifice Miski.

Smith had a really good season but I’d recruit a stand off, a seasoned one along side him. Powell to provide cover at 13.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

World class centre....which we actually need?
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

Nothing concrete but from what I am told, Brodie Croft might be available (for the right fee) ;)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

irl_warr wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:30 pm Nothing concrete but from what I am told, Brodie Croft might be available (for the right fee) ;)
Now that would be very nice
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE