“Surprise Signing”

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dan2266

Re: “Surprise Signing”

Post by Dan2266 »

wgwr1999 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:51 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:50 am
irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am I just don't see Luke Thompson playing for Wigan and fitting into the culture Matt and Co. are trying to establish long term. Could be wrong. I know Warrington offered him seriously silly money and a long contract and he rebuffed them emphatically.

I will ask again regards Croft and see if I can get any info. Last I heard was he has asked the club to listen to "all" offers.
Id take him in a heartbeat, hopefully if we are interested Salford should be reminded of all the players we've let them have for next to nothing over the years & not play too much hardball on a potential fee.
I don't see Wigan entertaining any plans to pay a fee for Brodie Croft. That would be asinine.
Neither can I, but stranger things have happened & I cant see Salford letting him go to a SL club for free, most likely be a swap deal if he is to move to another SL club.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:07 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:50 am

Id take him in a heartbeat, hopefully if we are interested Salford should be reminded of all the players we've let them have for next to nothing over the years & not play too much hardball on a potential fee.
I don't see Wigan entertaining any plans to pay a fee for Brodie Croft. That would be asinine.
Neither can I, but stranger things have happened & I cant see Salford letting him go to a SL club for free, most likely be a swap deal if he is to move to another SL club.
With him reportedly wanting to go home & only performing at the top level for half a season, I doubt anyone commits to him if they think it's going to be a one season rental. Jackson Hastings was much better & we got him for nothing.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wgwr1999 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:59 pm

With him reportedly wanting to go home & only performing at the top level for half a season, I doubt anyone commits to him if they think it's going to be a one season rental. Jackson Hastings was much better & we got him for nothing.
Looking back I feel Hastings time here at Wigan was a wasted one give me someone like Cust any day of the week frankly,as for Croft he's a good player I was a little surprised he got man of Steel to be honest.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Looking back I feel Hastings time here at Wigan was a wasted one give me someone like Cust any day of the week frankly,as for Croft he's a good player I was a little surprised he got man of Steel to be honest.
The voting system is flawed in Man of Steel, the best players usually play for the best teams where they take points off each other on a weekly basis, Croft, Hastings & McShane all won it by standing out in "lesser" teams.

In my opinion Man of steel should be voted for by coaches, after every fixture each coach picks a man of the match from the opposing team, the player at the end of the year with the most votes wins Man of Steel.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:27 pm

The voting system is flawed in Man of Steel, the best players usually play for the best teams where they take points off each other on a weekly basis, Croft, Hastings & McShane all won it by standing out in "lesser" teams.

In my opinion Man of steel should be voted for by coaches, after every fixture each coach picks a man of the match from the opposing team, the player at the end of the year with the most votes wins Man of Steel.
If you look at the previous winners in recent memory, the Man of Steel means very very little anymore.

The award has become the "best player on an overachieving team" award — in the past 7 years, we have seen Croft, McShane, Hastings, Gale & Houghton win the award over the likes of Lomax, Roby, Thompson, Walmsley, French & now Field.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am I just don't see Luke Thompson playing for Wigan and fitting into the culture Matt and Co. are trying to establish long term. Could be wrong. I know Warrington offered him seriously silly money and a long contract and he rebuffed them emphatically.

I will ask again regards Croft and see if I can get any info. Last I heard was he has asked the club to listen to "all" offers.
Why?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am Luke Thompson!!
Potential swap deal with Bateman. ???
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Mouse13 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:46 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am Luke Thompson!!
Potential swap deal with Bateman. ???
Where do these random nonsensical situations come from with some of you lot? :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:27 pm

Wouldn't that have the same problem?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think Man of Steel is the wrong name for player of the year. I would like them to give an award to the hardest player each year. Back in the day, Eddie Szymala and Kurt Sorenson could have shared it between them most years. That may mean that McIllorum gets it every year till he retires, of course.