“Surprise Signing”

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Bobby-WRL

Re: “Surprise Signing”

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Hastings was an awful character when he was here. The players and senior management where glad to see the back of him after 2021.
Adrian Lam however was very fond of him
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm
irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am I just don't see Luke Thompson playing for Wigan and fitting into the culture Matt and Co. are trying to establish long term. Could be wrong. I know Warrington offered him seriously silly money and a long contract and he rebuffed them emphatically.

I will ask again regards Croft and see if I can get any info. Last I heard was he has asked the club to listen to "all" offers.
Why?
Honestly, it is just my personal opinion. I don't know Luke personally, but I am fortunate to know a few Giants players who do, both of them are ex-Saints lads and one played for Wigan also, when I asked, they were both sure LT would never play for Wigan (or couldn't see it at all). Add that to the fact he was at Old Trafford on Saturday wearing St. Helens training gear, the fact he categorically told Warrington they can jog-on and money doesn't matter - I just don't think he would be interested, or fit in at Wigan.
Last edited by irl_warr on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 pm Hastings was an awful character when he was here. The players and senior management where glad to see the back of him after 2021.
I have said this before. He had a very strange personality. Alienated a lot of people by all accounts.

I've met Brodie several times and there is no comparison, he is a genuinely lovely young man.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:22 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 pm Hastings was an awful character when he was here. The players and senior management where glad to see the back of him after 2021.
I have said this before. He had a very strange personality. Alienated a lot of people by all accounts.

I've met Brodie several times and there is no comparison, he is a genuinely lovely young man.
He did it on the pitch too. He'd throw a hospital pass to someone & instead of taking accountability or apologising, he would immediately turn away & start barking orders to his teammates to move swiftly onwards.

Went from being a big fish in the small pond of Salford to a cog in the system of Wigan & it didn't work. That's why Cust has been so brilliant moving from Manly because he's in the same role as DCE & Trbojevic ran the show -- that's another reason why I think we should stay well clear of Croft. He was appallingly bad at Brisbane when he had to do the same.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:48 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm
Looking back I feel Hastings time here at Wigan was a wasted one give me someone like Cust any day of the week frankly,as for Croft he's a good player I was a little surprised he got man of Steel to be honest.
The voting system is flawed in Man of Steel, the best players usually play for the best teams where they take points off each other on a weekly basis, Croft, Hastings & McShane all won it by standing out in "lesser" teams.

In my opinion Man of steel should be voted for by coaches, after every fixture each coach picks a man of the match from the opposing team, the player at the end of the year with the most votes wins Man of Steel.
Wouldn't that have the same problem?
To a certain extent, but at least every team every week would have 1 player getting a point, rather than a mix of players getting 3,2 or 1. It would also be decided by the coaches going up against said players rather than a panel of arguably irrelevant people. would mean more being voted the best by your opponents in my opinion.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Or there doesn't need to be any convoluted system & they can use common sense.

Look at the previous winners for the RLWA Player of the Year:
  • 2018 — James Roby
  • 2019 — Jackson Hastings
  • 2020 — Bevan French
  • 2021 — Sam Tomkins
  • 2022 — Jai Field
I have zero issues with any names there. Use their template.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

"Kiwi internationals Jesse Bromwich and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will be coming to Wigan on Tuesday 4th October for the recording of our next Loch Lomond Whiskies Legends series!"

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... ond-event/

The first line of this almost gave me a heart attack on twitter yesterday, The link I've attached to the website obviously has a much clearer headline than the tweet did... :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I would be ecstatic if we somehow signed Waerea-Hargreaves, shame it won't happen
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am "Kiwi internationals Jesse Bromwich and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will be coming to Wigan on Tuesday 4th October for the recording of our next Loch Lomond Whiskies Legends series!"

The first line of this almost gave me a heart attack on twitter yesterday, The link I've attached to the website obviously has a much clearer headline than the tweet did... :lol:
I’d already posted this on the Web Warriors forum under the Evening with Tommy & Maguire thread 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am "Kiwi internationals Jesse Bromwich and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will be coming to Wigan on Tuesday 4th October for the recording of our next Loch Lomond Whiskies Legends series!"

I’d already posted this on the Web Warriors forum under the Evening with Tommy & Maguire thread 😊
I just posted it in here because it made me instantly think "surprise signing" until I read further, then Id used a quote so also added the link, thanks Josie