Mago to Wakefield/Featherstone??

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
w.thomas

Re: Mago to Wakefield

Post by w.thomas »

wgwr1999 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:26 pm
w.thomas wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:01 pm I’d rather lose singleton. Magos minutes though are poor for a young lad.
He'll be 28 at the start of the season...
[/quote

He’s young compared to me son, I remember the spitfires flying over the cliffs of Dover
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I think lots of us feel that Mago offers something that most of our props don't and that potentially, he has a lot more to offer if he gets fitter. The question is can he? Does he have the discipline/motivation to do it? It's not as if he's a youngster than hasn't had time to learn what it takes to be a professional. He's not a player that played long minutes earlier in his career. He's over in the U.K. because he couldn't get fit enough to hold down a place in the NRL. Why will next season be any different? I don't think anything will change so we need to decide if he's worth keeping on the form that he showed last season. If we have to lose a prop so that we can sign somebody else, I see it as a close-run thing between Mago, Ellis and Singo.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

w.thomas wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:25 am
wgwr1999 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:26 pm
w.thomas wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:01 pm I’d rather lose singleton. Magos minutes though are poor for a young lad.
He'll be 28 at the start of the season...
He’s young compared to me son, I remember the spitfires flying over the cliffs of Dover
You're young at heart, that's all that matters.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 pm I think lots of us feel that Mago offers something that most of our props don't and that potentially, he has a lot more to offer if he gets fitter. The question is can he? Does he have the discipline/motivation to do it? It's not as if he's a youngster than hasn't had time to learn what it takes to be a professional. He's not a player that played long minutes earlier in his career. He's over in the U.K. because he couldn't get fit enough to hold down a place in the NRL. Why will next season be any different? I don't think anything will change so we need to decide if he's worth keeping on the form that he showed last season. If we have to lose a prop so that we can sign somebody else, I see it as a close-run thing between Mago, Ellis and Singo.
For me, it comes down to simple genetics. England doesn't often produce hulking props that have incredible hand skills. Walmsley, Cooper & Thompson are the only ones that come to mind in recent memory & they are/were some of the best in the world for that very reason.

We realistically cannot replace what he brings from our own academy like we can with Ellis & Singleton.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wgwr1999 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:49 pm
southportcdm wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 pm I think lots of us feel that Mago offers something that most of our props don't and that potentially, he has a lot more to offer if he gets fitter. The question is can he? Does he have the discipline/motivation to do it? It's not as if he's a youngster than hasn't had time to learn what it takes to be a professional. He's not a player that played long minutes earlier in his career. He's over in the U.K. because he couldn't get fit enough to hold down a place in the NRL. Why will next season be any different? I don't think anything will change so we need to decide if he's worth keeping on the form that he showed last season. If we have to lose a prop so that we can sign somebody else, I see it as a close-run thing between Mago, Ellis and Singo.
For me, it comes down to simple genetics. England doesn't often produce hulking props that have incredible hand skills. Walmsley, Cooper & Thompson are the only ones that come to mind in recent memory & they are/were some of the best in the world for that very reason.

We realistically cannot replace what he brings from our own academy like we can with Ellis & Singleton.
Thompson and Cooper aren’t big hulking props.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:23 pm

I am😎
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Tom Burgess says hi
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:59 pm

I am😎
Ah but have you got incredible hand skills? :o
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:09 pm

I am😎
Finest hands this side of Kirksanton (I am currently in Inverness :lol: )
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:23 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:09 pm
I am😎
Finest hands this side of Kirksanton (I am currently in Inverness :lol: )
I’m envious,weather treating you well I hope up there?

I’ve seen sideways snow in October before :lol: