Ramifications?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dreamteam
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by Dreamteam »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:35 pm To give a three year contract three weeks ago seems rather dumb?
This is going to be interesting and the bottom line is they don't get nearly enough folk through the gates for a Championship side and the expense involved in being there.
Trying to take my biased hat off I worry this time next year they won’t have the same owners. Especially if they get relegated this Talal bloke has been given a reality check I reckon
fozzieskem
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Ramifications?

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm
Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:35 pm To give a three year contract three weeks ago seems rather dumb?
This is going to be interesting and the bottom line is they don't get nearly enough folk through the gates for a Championship side and the expense involved in being there.
Trying to take my biased hat off I worry this time next year they won’t have the same owners. Especially if they get relegated this Talal bloke has been given a reality check I reckon
This is the problem new owners all think the same thing couple of mill and jobs a good and off to the golden land of the PL,then reality hits..
User avatar
lucky 13
Posts: 2094
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by lucky 13 »

Reading a few online threads at the time of the players/staff not getting paid for the third time quite a few was asking for reassurance re finances. Then the new deal for the manager was waved about and linked in. Looks to maybe have been a way of quietening the unrest as stupid as it seems I guess if you're close to the edge then you can wave what money you want around as it can't bite you .
I did think with new investors on board last time they was in admin a stadium take over was all but done. I also can't remember seeing the new deal referenced between us and the new owners or detail of it. The only thing was it's with the legal teams to be released shortly. I do think the stadium is large and not used as it could be. The facility at Robin park feels more like our home but maybe so could the DW given time. Crowd atmosphere wise I imagine having certain seats not on sale unless demand is big like the back 10 rows in East North and South would help, with maybe the big "This is Wigan" over the lower seats in north and south would help for example and certainly make the stadium look and feel fuller. While not everyone's cup of tea the band at the internationals also helps and maybe worth a go. Desperate state for them but even though I watched Latics non League into the lower league's
I can find little sympathy, even before the Lyndsey thing I can remember my dad getting called all-sorts when I was a kid for saying he was watching the rugby the week after and not the football. Looking back it was that incident which made me fall out of love with them. Also quite a few since only enforced that. While not actively a dislike it's sad I don't care.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dreamteam
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by Dreamteam »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm
Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:35 pm To give a three year contract three weeks ago seems rather dumb?
This is going to be interesting and the bottom line is they don't get nearly enough folk through the gates for a Championship side and the expense involved in being there.
Trying to take my biased hat off I worry this time next year they won’t have the same owners. Especially if they get relegated this Talal bloke has been given a reality check I reckon
This is the problem new owners all think the same thing couple of mill and jobs a good and off to the golden land of the PL,then reality hits..
Especially when you’re a small club like Wigan as well. Not like Sunderland for example with a huge backing and a big pulling power. Wigan have won one home game all season and that’s because home games are away games for them. There’s no fans. Nobody is interested in Wigan football in the town !!
Dreamteam
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by Dreamteam »

lucky 13 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:02 pm Reading a few online threads at the time of the players/staff not getting paid for the third time quite a few was asking for reassurance re finances. Then the new deal for the manager was waved about and linked in. Looks to maybe have been a way of quietening the unrest as stupid as it seems I guess if you're close to the edge then you can wave what money you want around as it can't bite you .
I did think with new investors on board last time they was in admin a stadium take over was all but done. I also can't remember seeing the new deal referenced between us and the new owners or detail of it. The only thing was it's with the legal teams to be released shortly. I do think the stadium is large and not used as it could be. The facility at Robin park feels more like our home but maybe so could the DW given time. Crowd atmosphere wise I imagine having certain seats not on sale unless demand is big like the back 10 rows in East North and South would help, with maybe the big "This is Wigan" over the lower seats in north and south would help for example and certainly make the stadium look and feel fuller. While not everyone's cup of tea the band at the internationals also helps and maybe worth a go. Desperate state for them but even though I watched Latics non League into the lower league's
I can find little sympathy, even before the Lyndsey thing I can remember my dad getting called all-sorts when I was a kid for saying he was watching the rugby the week after and not the football. Looking back it was that incident which made me fall out of love with them. Also quite a few since only enforced that. While not actively a dislike it's sad I don't care.
That doesn’t surprise me. There’s still people begging for harmony in the town as well it’s absolutely mental. Grown men on twitter quoting tweets about attendances ect. Very sad. That’s before we even get into the tweets about maurice passing from latics lot
fozzieskem
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Ramifications?

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm

Trying to take my biased hat off I worry this time next year they won’t have the same owners. Especially if they get relegated this Talal bloke has been given a reality check I reckon
This is the problem new owners all think the same thing couple of mill and jobs a good and off to the golden land of the PL,then reality hits..
Especially when you’re a small club like Wigan as well. Not like Sunderland for example with a huge backing and a big pulling power. Wigan have won one home game all season and that’s because home games are away games for them. There’s no fans. Nobody is interested in Wigan football in the town !!
It’s becoming clear the American owners of Liverpool want out and when you values of 4 billion you start to understand why the game gets so much money hungry owners,most all bar a handful will end up throwing money away.

As for wigans football team they punched above their weight for a few years but as ever reality kicks back in and down they go frankly I doubt they’ll ever get back to the PL,the ground has shifted massively as they’ve floundered as for Sunderland and Newcastle to be fair aren’t what I’d class as a big club they’ve both had money over the years but it’s come to nowt.
the pieman
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:55 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm

This is the problem new owners all think the same thing couple of mill and jobs a good and off to the golden land of the PL,then reality hits..
Especially when you’re a small club like Wigan as well. Not like Sunderland for example with a huge backing and a big pulling power. Wigan have won one home game all season and that’s because home games are away games for them. There’s no fans. Nobody is interested in Wigan football in the town !!
It’s becoming clear the American owners of Liverpool want out and when you values of 4 billion you start to understand why the game gets so much money hungry owners,most all bar a handful will end up throwing money away.

As for wigans football team they punched above their weight for a few years but as ever reality kicks back in and down they go frankly I doubt they’ll ever get back to the PL,the ground has shifted massively as they’ve floundered as for Sunderland and Newcastle to be fair aren’t what I’d class as a big club they’ve both had money over the years but it’s come to nowt.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) for us thats a different ball game all together

FSG have run Liverpool well since they took ownership (sure some will dispute that who are closer to football than i am), and have turned a £300m investment into a potential massive profit

what FSG have seen is that they dont have the money to compete with the richest in the world at City, Newcastle etc. Its moved from a wealthy person v wealthy person, to a wealthy state investing in football clubs. The goalposts have literally moved off the pitch in terms of whats needed to invest and be successful in one of the top clubs. I think FSG will probably retain overall ownership of LIverpool for the time being, but happy to sell shares in the club to invest in the new stand etc, and keep moving them forwards off the pitch

i took a quick look at some of the wage bills yesterday for the top clubs. Astronomical is all i can say. I think Ronaldo earns more in 1 month, than a full squad of RL players (or very close), and UTD are happy to pay that as they reap the rewards from marketing sales etc

Man City £177m
Liverpool £156m
Man Utd £227m
Chelsea £189m
Forest £29m (chosen as promoted last season)

so very quickly there, against a £2.1m (or whatever we can pay these days) salary cap, we are running at less than a 10th of what Notts Forest are paying as a 2nd tier side promoted into the PL

i wouldnt want that sort of money in RL but i think we all agree, the players dont get paid anywhere near enough for a full time professional sportsman at the top of their game.
Dreamteam
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Re: Ramifications?

Post by Dreamteam »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:55 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 pm

This is the problem new owners all think the same thing couple of mill and jobs a good and off to the golden land of the PL,then reality hits..
Especially when you’re a small club like Wigan as well. Not like Sunderland for example with a huge backing and a big pulling power. Wigan have won one home game all season and that’s because home games are away games for them. There’s no fans. Nobody is interested in Wigan football in the town !!
It’s becoming clear the American owners of Liverpool want out and when you values of 4 billion you start to understand why the game gets so much money hungry owners,most all bar a handful will end up throwing money away.

As for wigans football team they punched above their weight for a few years but as ever reality kicks back in and down they go frankly I doubt they’ll ever get back to the PL,the ground has shifted massively as they’ve floundered as for Sunderland and Newcastle to be fair aren’t what I’d class as a big club they’ve both had money over the years but it’s come to nowt.
I say big clubs but based off the fanbase really. Newcastle and Sunderland both huge fanbases. Last year Sunderland averaged 30 k in the league one. That’s silly numbers. 3 times the amount of Wigan and remember Wigan was the best team itl all last season. Sunderland went up through playoffs. This year in the championship they’ve jumped up to 37 k. They’re a mid table team at the very best but clubs like Wigan just can’t compete with those numbers. Stoke and Middlesbrough both over 20 k despite being really poor and not been promoted in years. Even in league 1 derby Shef Wednesday and Ipswich all do over 25 k. Wigan sell about 6 k season tickets at best they can’t compete with those type of clubs in the long run with the way the games going
User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 6730
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Ramifications?

Post by Mike »

the pieman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:27 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:55 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 pm

Especially when you’re a small club like Wigan as well. Not like Sunderland for example with a huge backing and a big pulling power. Wigan have won one home game all season and that’s because home games are away games for them. There’s no fans. Nobody is interested in Wigan football in the town !!
It’s becoming clear the American owners of Liverpool want out and when you values of 4 billion you start to understand why the game gets so much money hungry owners,most all bar a handful will end up throwing money away.

As for wigans football team they punched above their weight for a few years but as ever reality kicks back in and down they go frankly I doubt they’ll ever get back to the PL,the ground has shifted massively as they’ve floundered as for Sunderland and Newcastle to be fair aren’t what I’d class as a big club they’ve both had money over the years but it’s come to nowt.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) for us thats a different ball game all together

FSG have run Liverpool well since they took ownership (sure some will dispute that who are closer to football than i am), and have turned a £300m investment into a potential massive profit

what FSG have seen is that they dont have the money to compete with the richest in the world at City, Newcastle etc. Its moved from a wealthy person v wealthy person, to a wealthy state investing in football clubs. The goalposts have literally moved off the pitch in terms of whats needed to invest and be successful in one of the top clubs. I think FSG will probably retain overall ownership of LIverpool for the time being, but happy to sell shares in the club to invest in the new stand etc, and keep moving them forwards off the pitch

i took a quick look at some of the wage bills yesterday for the top clubs. Astronomical is all i can say. I think Ronaldo earns more in 1 month, than a full squad of RL players (or very close), and UTD are happy to pay that as they reap the rewards from marketing sales etc

Man City £177m
Liverpool £156m
Man Utd £227m
Chelsea £189m
Forest £29m (chosen as promoted last season)

so very quickly there, against a £2.1m (or whatever we can pay these days) salary cap, we are running at less than a 10th of what Notts Forest are paying as a 2nd tier side promoted into the PL

i wouldnt want that sort of money in RL but i think we all agree, the players dont get paid anywhere near enough for a full time professional sportsman at the top of their game.
They may well end up with a salary cap in years to come for these reasons. Its been discussed a fair bit I believe, but things haven't yet gone so far. I suppose if all wealthy states had a PL team it would be ok? But are there enough!
Post Reply