Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Bateman

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman breaks silence on Wests Tigers and NRL links amid 'agreed' deal

Bateman is said to have signed for the TIgers.

John Bateman has refused to comment on speculation regarding where he will be playing his rugby in 2023. The Wigan Warriors forward has been linked with a move to NRL side Wests Tigers next season, with reports in Australia suggesting a fee has been agreed to release him from his contract.

Wigan have insisted that they have received no official approach for the forward, who remains under contract for 2023 and beyond at the Super League club. The Daily Telegraph have suggested a fee in the region of £125,000 has been agreed between the Tigers and the Warriors.

But Bateman insisted on Wednesday that he had no interest in discussing his club future until the Rugby League World Cup comes to a conclusion. "I think I'm pretty sure I'm here to talk about England - I'll talk to you about that after the World Cup. I want to focus on the World Cup."

The 29-year-old enjoyed a stellar first spell in the NRL with Canberra Raiders before returning to the Warriors. Reports about his future first surfaced in August when Wests had been linked with a transfer move for the England international.

Wigan denied that was the case at the time, and have since reiterated they are once again yet to get any offers for the forward. But Bateman's reluctance to discuss the issue will only further fuel speculation over his future beyond this year.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-25416144
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If it means we keep KPP instead of him leaving because he’s ‘behind 2 internationals’ for back row, I’d let him go.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:22 pm If it means we keep KPP instead of him leaving because he’s ‘behind 2 internationals’ for back row, I’d let him go.
Only for one season, that is not long-term planning.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Kpp is well gone. No matter what people are saying it’s been done for ages. At least he gets a first team spot in his actual position next year. I would say if he wants to tie it down all season he needs to get a bit more involved imo.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would suggest looking at both the statement from Bateman "ill talk after the world cup" and Wigan "no formal approach been made" hes gone

neither are dismissive from the off both seem to entertain the fact that its just not over the line yet
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:18 pm I would suggest looking at both the statement from Bateman "ill talk after the world cup" and Wigan "no formal approach been made" hes gone

neither are dismissive from the off both seem to entertain the fact that its just not over the line yet
👍
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Even though John is quoted as saying he was there to talk about England it would have only taken a few seconds to say that he wasn't going anywhere. Can you imagine how somebody like Faz would have responded in the same situation?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors knock back John Bateman NRL and Wests Tigers reports

Bateman is said to have signed a three-year deal with the Tigers.

A deal to take Wigan Warriors forward John Bateman to the NRL with Wests Tigers has not been completed, sources at the club say. Reports in Australia claim a deal has been reached to take the England international down under on a three-year deal which will see Wigan receive a six-figure fee.

But that has been knocked back by the Warriors who say they haven't even received a formal approach from the Tigers, let alone a transfer bid. Bateman is under contract at the Warriors for next season and at this stage that remains the case from the club's standpoint. Wests Tigers are understood to be aware of Bateman's contract situation.

Wests' interest in Bateman has been well-documented. Going back as far as July, the NRL club has been linked with a move for the Bradford-born star. Wigan knocked the reports back at the time though have been aware of the ongoing talk.

Interestingly, Bateman is due to speak to the press during England's press conference on Wednesday ahead of the quarter-final with Papua New Guinea.

Bateman returned to Wigan two seasons ago on a marquee contract having set down under alight with Canberra Raiders, winning the Dally M back-rower of the year award in his first season and playing in the NRL Grand Final.

Of course, most players are now signed up for next season and with Bateman not taking up a quota spot, it will limit Wigan's options in pursuit of a replacement.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Wes

Post by Wes »

Strange how fans are happy to let him go as he’s on marquee money yet admit he’s still a very good player, (so the squad loses a very good player, excellent IMO) yet same fans are happy to keep Isa as he’s a solid 7 on shit money (squad keeps, and plays and average at best player)??

When the seasons well underway we complain our squad isn’t good enough for top honours🙈
noncastrato

Post by noncastrato »

Bateman hasn’t been the player he was during his second stint at Wigan. He’s by no means rubbish and has been pretty reliable and steady, even showing flashes of old form from time to time but overall, he hasn’t reached the heights he found in the NRL.

My guess is that he probably has an element of regret at not staying over in Australia. Think he also had a shoulder operation too before starting back at Wigan, which can knock a players confidence. we got two seasons with him and I expect it’s a big chunk of money on offer so potentially good business.

I’d personally rather have (and I assume this what they’ve done) French as a marquee player and then bring in a big forward too. Utilise some of the youth squad to bolster the pack and then get another playmaker (mason lino 🤞) to give some maturity and skill in the team.

Sounds like he’s going from all the reports though