Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Re: Bateman

Post by ddtftf »

Let him go half the player he was in his first stint here we can replace with a marque player would love Gerard Hargreaves
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Bateman hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury.

For the level of money he is being paid we could get two players in who would perform as well as he has since returning, he's stood out in 1 game that I can remember, regardless of his influence and the way he is off the pitch, he's a shadow of his former self on it.

I don't think we'll miss him too much. Farrell & KPP start second row, Isa can fill in when needed, Personally it wouldn't shock me if we make a play for Radley, Wane absolutely loves him and has been raving about him to the club. he is on roughly £150,000 a year in Aus and his contract only has 1 year left.

Bateman leaving frees up money to improve other areas of the squad if the club are happy with our current second row options, however we will need to look at second row at the end of next season when we'd of lost Bateman and KPP.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 pm
One of the nicest lads I’ve ever met at Wigan but the club comes before anything else. Do I think John bateman is doing enough to earn marquee money at Wigan ? No. Do I think getting him off the cap as well as pocketing a few hundred grand is a good move for us ? Yes. Why aren’t we offering him a new improved deal to keep him if he’s as important as u say.
You haven’t met many players for Wigan Warriors if you are saying that! He does his best now, if he can, to bypass the fans on a regular basis. Scooting round the front of the stadium & pass the excec carpark to either come in or leave the stadium.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 pm Let him go half the player he was in his first stint here we can replace with a marque player would love Gerard Hargreaves
We can’t because we have no non-federation spots.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

:cry:
josie andrews wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:28 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 pm
One of the nicest lads I’ve ever met at Wigan but the club comes before anything else. Do I think John bateman is doing enough to earn marquee money at Wigan ? No. Do I think getting him off the cap as well as pocketing a few hundred grand is a good move for us ? Yes. Why aren’t we offering him a new improved deal to keep him if he’s as important as u say.
You haven’t met many players for Wigan Warriors if you are saying that! He does his best now, if he can, to bypass the fans on a regular basis. Scooting round the front of the stadium & pass the excec carpark to either come in or leave the stadium.
In fairness I haven’t met many of the current squad other than when I’ve passed them so you may be right
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Bateman hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury.

For the level of money he is being paid we could get two players in who would perform as well as he has since returning, he's stood out in 1 game that I can remember, regardless of his influence and the way he is off the pitch, he's a shadow of his former self on it.

I don't think we'll miss him too much. Farrell & KPP start second row, Isa can fill in when needed, Personally it wouldn't shock me if we make a play for Radley, Wane absolutely loves him and has been raving about him to the club. he is on roughly £150,000 a year in Aus and his contract only has 1 year left.

Bateman leaving frees up money to improve other areas of the squad if the club are happy with our current second row options, however we will need to look at second row at the end of next season when we'd of lost Bateman and KPP.
This is how I imagined majority of Wigan fans would feel about bateman. We have to look long term not just what’s best for next season
Charriots Offiah

McMeeken hardly played in the second half of the season! Batchelor missed more tackles than anyone in the comp. I agree you did tell me what you would do and I said that your proposal would weaken the team which it will. We will just have to agree to disagree. If Bateman goes then 2023 will prove one of us right.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's improved since he returned, but i've got my doubts that he should be on a marquee salary. He's never reached the heights he was at when he left - it was like having two players on the field, he was everywhere! That was the player we're paying for now, not the one we've actually got.

IMO the thing here is if we get an opportunity to improve value for money without reducing the quality in the squad we should take it. If we feel we don't need to replace immediately in his position because of our existing cover then that's fine. We should have more leeway to recruit in future where we need to. If he stays, then that's fine too, the club have judged we're getting enough, or that other options are no better.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Bateman hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury.

Dan, there are some problems with what you are proposing. We can’t get two decent players in on Bateman’s salary as only £150k counts against the salary cap. Let’s assume we could though who would you recruit? Secondly, Radley would count as a non-federation player so we couldn’t sign him to replace Bateman.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:46 pm McMeeken hardly played in the second half of the season! Batchelor missed more tackles than anyone in the comp. I agree you did tell me what you would do and I said that your proposal would weaken the team which it will. We will just have to agree to disagree. If Bateman goes then 2023 will prove one of us right.
That’s fair enough but I’d swap bateman for any of saints 3 SR personally. Batchelor is a top player imo