Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
NICKYKISS

Re: Bateman

Post by NICKYKISS »

The pack is far too ‘nice’ if Bateman leaves. Guys like Cooper, KPP, Faz, Havard, Byrne, Shorrocks etc are all good lads but other than Smithies, I’m struggling to think of anyone with a real edge to them. That’s a big worry for me regards his probable exit and why I think we need a replacement.
Ginge96

Post by Ginge96 »

As much as I agree even though I do think cooper has that edge to him I think the game is moving away from that kind of player when you look at how heavy suspensions were last season. Sadly I think the game is more focused on athletes than the aggressive kind of players fans love
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Ginge96 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:34 pm As much as I agree even though I do think cooper has that edge to him I think the game is moving away from that kind of player when you look at how heavy suspensions were last season. Sadly I think the game is more focused on athletes than the aggressive kind of players fans love
I still think you need a balance. I’m not asking for out and out nutcases but you need a bit of dog still and some character that when games get a bit niggly, you have lads who will thrive on that and throw some back at the opposition. I think we had a nice balance with Bateman and Smithies having that in them and playing alongside other cool heads and great athletes like Faz and Havard.
pedro

Post by pedro »

NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:28 pm The pack is far too ‘nice’ if Bateman leaves. Guys like Cooper, KPP, Faz, Havard, Byrne, Shorrocks etc are all good lads but other than Smithies, I’m struggling to think of anyone with a real edge to them. That’s a big worry for me regards his probable exit and why I think we need a replacement.
cooper has more of an edge than bateman
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:05 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:29 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 pm

Having a player for a season can certainly be part of a long term plan (like the one I outlined). Just like maximising value for money can be part of a plan for long term sustainable success.

I'm not bothered either way on Bateman TBH. He's pretty good, but not outstanding and we're paying him a lot. That's the way it goes sometimes, you can't predict the future form of players when you sign them every time. If we feel we can improve or keep the same quality of squad for the next 2-3 years without him then great, if we think we're OK as we are then that's fine by me too.
What do you think, will we improve or keep the same quality without Bateman and without replacing him? By the way, that approach didn’t work in the past, we have lost good players and failed to adequately replace them, hence the reason we are languishing behind Saints.
I'd say, based on the last two seasons we'd be about the same without Bateman with KPP in the second row. With our new options at centre that could well be a stronger team than last year. I don't believe him leaving hurts us much. We obviously differ on that.

Last year I think Bateman has to be in our strongest team, but mainly due to the lack of options at centre. NExt season, not so much, its a straight choice between the attacking threat of KPP and Batemans energy and workrate. However, those aspects of his game haven't been as good IMO as they were before his NRL stint.
Fair enough but Bateman is in my team every day of the week.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Bateman still has that necessary aggression. He will scrap for any advantage….. ball possession, making a tackle.
However for whatever reason he isn’t making the breaks he used to make. I m not talking about metres gained but defence splitting breaks.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Played well against PNG today :D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:08 pm Played well against PNG today :D
And he will no doubt play well for Wests as well :D
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He’s been excellent all the way through the tournament.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:16 pm
And he will no doubt play well for Wests as well :D
Depends if he’s playing in the NSW cup or the nrl 😂😂