Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bateman

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:50 am In his latest statement to the aussie press (rugby league world) John was quoted as saying that he'd make a decision after the Worls Cup. If he wants to stay surely, he wouldn't have a decision to make. I'd like him to stay but I hope the club has a plan in place in case he doesn't.
His mind is already made up mate, what he actually means is that he will announce his plans.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If you say so Chariots. Do you know if we're planning a replacement?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It's a shame if he goes and as much as I love watching Bateman in a Wigan shirt if he does leave again then surely the lifeline can't be there a second time?

We should be able to plan around core players not hope the don't decide to find ways out of a contract.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Its as good as done, just nothing signed as of yet.

Wigan are planning on signing a replacement I'm just not certain if it will be like for like.

Personally if its like for like Id be all over McMeeken if its a British player we have to sign.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm Its as good as done, just nothing signed as of yet.

Wigan are planning on signing a replacement I'm just not certain if it will be like for like.

Personally if its like for like Id be all over McMeeken if its a British player we have to sign.
It will have to be a federation player unless we let a non-federation player go as well.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I've said it before but I don't think it will be a huge loss at all.

JB is a relatively lightweight 2nd row punching above his weight. Before he went to Aus he was fantastic, a joy to watch, however, there was always the risk of injury with his playing style/physique.

This did indeed happen and imo, he has not been the same player since his injury, nor will he be.

A "good" player yes, but no longer a "very good" player.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:37 pm I've said it before but I don't think it will be a huge loss at all.

JB is a relatively lightweight 2nd row punching above his weight. Before he went to Aus he was fantastic, a joy to watch, however, there was always the risk of injury with his playing style/physique.

This did indeed happen and imo, he has not been the same player since his injury, nor will he be.

How do you know that his size/weight contributed to his shoulder injury?

Talking absolute rubbish.

What contributed to George Burgess hip injury? Being too big?

You don’t play at the highest level for multiple years and “play above your weight”.

What exactly is Bateman’s playing style and technique and why do you think it contributes to injury?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:51 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:37 pm I've said it before but I don't think it will be a huge loss at all.

You don’t play at the highest level for multiple years and “play above your weight”.

What exactly is Bateman’s playing style and technique and why do you think it contributes to injury?
it wasnt an injury they removed spurs from his shoulders had one done at a time, nothing to do with his size
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm Its as good as done, just nothing signed as of yet.

Unfortunately we've no chance of getting McMeeken, signed 2 extension in April and said family is happy in France.

Surely if we're getting few in this season will be offloading 1 or 2 quota players. Hopefully the rumour of Mago & Isa to Wakefield is true, then will have more choice.

Only player I can think of realistically who's British that could maybe do a job for few years is Westerman & then Smithes/KPP at SR. But I'd rather we go Tanginoa from Wakefield, or an NRL pick up.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:51 pm

George burgess was way too overweight tbf not that it matters. Remember him getting ran over for that first try vs Warrington at dw first game of season I think. Looked gone after about 5 minutes 😂😂