Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pedro

Re: Bateman

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:16 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:47 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:34 pm

What’s the difference between unproven yet and not good enough. Partington wasn’t good enough for us and shorrocks doesn’t start for anyone in sl yet both have been picked ahead of him stunting his potential. At least make an effort to look like we want to keep him instead of playing him in the reserves when he’s way ahead of that level
Yet when Nicholson left the club came out and said he did have a pathway.
That was to hide their blushes. Andy Farrell had a pathway - straight into the team at 16. The club were not bold enough to make the right decision. Give me a good up and coming player everyday rather than a player past his best.
maybe, just maybe things have changed in 30 years
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pedro wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:55 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:47 pm

Yet when Nicholson left the club came out and said he did have a pathway.
That was to hide their blushes. Andy Farrell had a pathway - straight into the team at 16. The club were not bold enough to make the right decision. Give me a good up and coming player everyday rather than a player past his best.
For the better or worse?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:25 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:55 pm

For the better or worse?
times have changed due to duty of care, better by law, worse for opportunity
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

No one knows how good Nicholson will be but yet again it's like the club have sold the silverware to some posters,its bordering on hysteria as the saying goes one swallow doesn't make a summer the same goes with a young lad with virtually no games under his belt.
jobo

Post by jobo »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:11 pm No one knows how good Nicholson will be but yet again it's like the club have sold the silverware to some posters,its bordering on hysteria as the saying goes one swallow doesn't make a summer the same goes with a young lad with virtually no games under his belt.
Doubt he'll ever be as good as Andy Farrell.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Heard his partner has gone over to Oz with their baby & their house has been sold. Only heard this today so don’t know if anyone has heard anything further?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:33 pm Heard his partner has gone over to Oz with their baby & their house has been sold. Only heard this today so don’t know if anyone has heard anything further?
It seems to be common knowledge that the house is up for sale. I think it’s looking nailed on he’s a goner.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:03 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:45 pm Timing looks to have done us little favours with the whole Bateman, Nicholson and McDonnell issues. We can’t have known Bateman wanted out at the time of trying to negotiate with Nicholson, surely? The same goes for the negotiations with McDonnell Had we done so then to up the offers would’ve been a no brainer. On the flip side, in not knowing, it would make it tough to go too high for unproven lads on the basis that we probably hoped we’d get another 5+ years out of the Bateman, Farrell and Smithies trio and then where do these lads fit?

I’m sure money has played a huge part in the Nicholson exit. That and a starting shirt is still more on both fronts then he’d get here, even if Bateman leaves. Maybe he’s lacked some patience but it’s hard for a side well stacked to fast track a young kid. It’s a bit like Dom Young saying he went to Oz as he wasn’t getting a chance at Huddersfield. They’re getting stuck now from people saying how could they have ignored him but he was an 18 year old kid and was unlikely to be anywhere near the player he is now. It’s a balancing act and it’s difficult to keep everyone happy.
I have to disagree; it is not timing that is the issue it is planning. Wigan could at any point improved his contract, they chose not to. Warrington saw an opportunity and nipped in. These lads all play for money, but Wigan expect them to stay loyal because they have come through the academy system, sometimes that works on this occasion it didn't. Let's not forget that the club gave Willie a new two-year contract, they could have chosen a different path. If they are not careful, they will lose another top prospect - Smithies.
They can offer a contract but they can’t made a lad sign it. Would you have signed a new deal if you were Nicholson/McDonnell and saw 3 England backrowers (Faz, Bateman and KPP) plus Smithies and Isa in front of you?

I agree about Isa, that was an error in my opinion, as much as I think very highly of the guy and what he’s done for us. It still left 4 very good players to get past though. Had they and us known Bateman would up sticks, maybe it would’ve been a different story but who knows.
Charriots Offiah

jobo wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:28 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:11 pm No one knows how good Nicholson will be but yet again it's like the club have sold the silverware to some posters,its bordering on hysteria as the saying goes one swallow doesn't make a summer the same goes with a young lad with virtually no games under his belt.
Doubt he'll ever be as good as Andy Farrell.
No way, but I can’t think of many that are.
Charriots Offiah

NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:46 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:03 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:45 pm Timing looks to have done us little favours with the whole Bateman, Nicholson and McDonnell issues. We can’t have known Bateman wanted out at the time of trying to negotiate with Nicholson, surely? The same goes for the negotiations with McDonnell Had we done so then to up the offers would’ve been a no brainer. On the flip side, in not knowing, it would make it tough to go too high for unproven lads on the basis that we probably hoped we’d get another 5+ years out of the Bateman, Farrell and Smithies trio and then where do these lads fit?

I’m sure money has played a huge part in the Nicholson exit. That and a starting shirt is still more on both fronts then he’d get here, even if Bateman leaves. Maybe he’s lacked some patience but it’s hard for a side well stacked to fast track a young kid. It’s a bit like Dom Young saying he went to Oz as he wasn’t getting a chance at Huddersfield. They’re getting stuck now from people saying how could they have ignored him but he was an 18 year old kid and was unlikely to be anywhere near the player he is now. It’s a balancing act and it’s difficult to keep everyone happy.
I have to disagree; it is not timing that is the issue it is planning. Wigan could at any point improved his contract, they chose not to. Warrington saw an opportunity and nipped in. These lads all play for money, but Wigan expect them to stay loyal because they have come through the academy system, sometimes that works on this occasion it didn't. Let's not forget that the club gave Willie a new two-year contract, they could have chosen a different path. If they are not careful, they will lose another top prospect - Smithies.
They can offer a contract but they can’t made a lad sign it. Would you have signed a new deal if you were Nicholson/McDonnell and saw 3 England backrowers (Faz, Bateman and KPP) plus Smithies and Isa in front of you?

I agree about Isa, that was an error in my opinion, as much as I think very highly of the guy and what he’s done for us. It still left 4 very good players to get past though. Had they and us known Bateman would up sticks, maybe it would’ve been a different story but who knows.
You can’t sign a contract if you are not offered one.