Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Barney841

Re: Bateman

Post by Barney841 »

Been more of a solid player since he’s been back, not influential like he was before he went to the NRL.
Players move on and so will we, nature of the game.
I do agree though that we shouldn’t welcome him back with open arms if he doesn’t settle in the NRL this time round
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Pieman13 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:55 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm Its as good as done, just nothing signed as of yet.

Wigan are planning on signing a replacement I'm just not certain if it will be like for like.

Personally if its like for like Id be all over McMeeken if its a British player we have to sign.
Unfortunately we've no chance of getting McMeeken, signed 2 extension in April and said family is happy in France.

Surely if we're getting few in this season will be offloading 1 or 2 quota players. Hopefully the rumour of Mago & Isa to Wakefield is true, then will have more choice.

Only player I can think of realistically who's British that could maybe do a job for few years is Westerman & then Smithes/KPP at SR. But I'd rather we go Tanginoa from Wakefield, or an NRL pick up.
The one complaint I will never understand is the dislike people have for Isa, he has been a solid player for us who has always stepped up when needed.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Isa has been an absolute warrior for us. He’s coming towards the end of his career and maybe got given a year more than he should have on his last deal but it’s hard to say he hasn’t earned it.

Week in week out 7 out of 10. Not a super star but an absolute machine, leader and consummate professional.

In relation to Bateman according to the RLFans rumours we are trying to replace him with Bryce Cartwright.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jonh wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:23 pm Isa has been an absolute warrior for us. He’s coming towards the end of his career and maybe got given a year more than he should have on his last deal but it’s hard to say he hasn’t earned it.

Week in week out 7 out of 10. Not a super star but an absolute machine, leader and consummate professional.

In relation to Bateman according to the RLFans rumours we are trying to replace him with Bryce Cartwright.
This exactly 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Bryce Cartwright is a decent player but, from his wiki page (if true), I wouldn't have thought he was the type of bloke that Matty Peet would want in the squad.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm Its as good as done, just nothing signed as of yet.

Wigan are planning on signing a replacement I'm just not certain if it will be like for like.

Personally if its like for like Id be all over McMeeken if its a British player we have to sign.
Unfortunately we've no chance of getting McMeeken, signed 2 extension in April and said family is happy in France.

Surely if we're getting few in this season will be offloading 1 or 2 quota players. Hopefully the rumour of Mago & Isa to Wakefield is true, then will have more choice.

Only player I can think of realistically who's British that could maybe do a job for few years is Westerman & then Smithes/KPP at SR. But I'd rather we go Tanginoa from Wakefield, or an NRL pick up.
The one complaint I will never understand is the dislike people have for Isa, he has been a solid player for us who has always stepped up when needed.
I don’t dislike Isa but, from a rugby point of view, giving him a two year contract rather than promoting the likes of Nicholson was bad business.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm

I don’t dislike Isa but, from a rugby point of view, giving him a two year contract rather than promoting the likes of Nicholson was bad business.
Isa has been a solid player and the type of player every squad needs.

I did and still do question the two year deal and would love to know the impact it had on Nicholson leaving but it’s all in hindsight now.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I've always said I don't know what Isa does but when he doesn't play he leaves a Willie isa type hole in the style of play,he's just one of those players who will never sate the "Big signing" brigade but one that every squad needs.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:54 am
I didn’t suggest that we should throw Junior to the wolves
I hope you didn’t mean that literally! Don’t you think the wolves have enough of our players 😉
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Great thread....if Bateman goes then we are in uncertain times so I'd like him to stay.

I'd assume his potential move is a bit of a suprise to the board? Otherwise we would have been able to show McDonnel/Nicholson an open door to first team rugby.

Nsemba has massive potential but, IIRC, he is a year younger than most of the Academy team and needs more time for physique development - I'd have thoght he would be ready at the end of 2023 season at the very earliest. I don't see another 2nd row in Reserves/Academy just yet either.