new prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wgwr1999

Re: new prop

Post by wgwr1999 »

No clue how Isa still keeps his quota spot on the team. When we're healthy, he doesn't even come close to featuring.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Great as cover at both 2nd row and centre - good squad player
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

There’s every chance Isa will be a starter next season as and when Bateman goes. We’ve no quota spots, so it’s difficult to see how we replace Bateman. It’ll be between Isa and KPP and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Isa got the nod (it certainly wouldn’t be my choice).
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I think KPP will get the nod as he has a real presence on the pitch, what we don’t know is how bad Faz’s injury was and if it’ll affect him early in the season.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The fact that people are discussing the possibility of Willie Isa in the starting line up at this stage of his career emphasises how important it is that we get a replacement for Bateman. Peet didn't pick Isa in the starting team for long periods of last season and he was often omitted from the 17 when not injured. Are we aiming lower in 2023? Isa has done great service for the club but, if we're serious about winning the GF, he should only be in the 17 if we have one or more injuries.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

KPP is leaving at the end of 2023 and Isa in the last year of this contract it means Peet does have a real problem with the second row spot. Nsemba is next in line but without any SL experience so that suggests to me that KPP and Isa will feature for the most part of the season.

What we don't know is if the club have a replacement lined up either for this coming season or 2024. Bateman leaving leaves a big gap in talent but also a stack of money to replace him. How and when the club use this money we don't know what we can be pretty sure of is that they will invest it wisely.

Why we need a new prop I'm not sure. Mago may possibly leave but that's about it. If Mago doesn't go then we already have a "new prop" in Hill.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:07 pm The fact that people are discussing the possibility of Willie Isa in the starting line up at this stage of his career emphasises how important it is that we get a replacement for Bateman. Peet didn't pick Isa in the starting team for long periods of last season and he was often omitted from the 17 when not injured. Are we aiming lower in 2023? Isa has done great service for the club but, if we're serious about winning the GF, he should only be in the 17 if we have one or more injuries.
The fact I think we’re absolutely desperate for a replacement for Bateman is I why I highlight the fact Isa could be a starter tbh. I think KPP will get the nod myself but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it is Isa and he’s used to add some experience/steel but let’s face it, if we want to get up to and past Saints, he’s not good enough. I’m not convinced KPP is either tbh, certainly not at the moment because I think he’s still quite raw and needs to up his workrate and aggression.

Where we find a replacement will be the issue. We’ve managed the squad so poorly this last few seasons and the quota is full. I see no viable British options, so where do we go? I’d personally be telling Bateman he is staying for 12 months but I can understand why they’ll be wary of doing that after the Hardaker situation.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:16 pm No clue how Isa still keeps his quota spot on the team. When we're healthy, he doesn't even come close to featuring.
Was that the case when he got his extension? Not coming close to featuring?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 pm
wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:16 pm No clue how Isa still keeps his quota spot on the team. When we're healthy, he doesn't even come close to featuring.
Was that the case when he got his extension? Not coming close to featuring?
it would have been a very similar type quote, but he's still here and still playing regularly

Isa is one of those players that doesnt really do it for many fans, but he is invaluable as a squad player. He's featured so much for the last 2 seasons because we've had no centres and decimated pack (2 years ago). I think we all agree he isnt a centre, but would we rather lose Faz or Bateman from the 2nd row into the centre or put Isa there. And, he's at least 3rd choice 2nd row, poss 4th with KPP. However, as said, he's getting regular game time, doesnt seem to get injured and generally performs well (apart from the odd game he has a complete brain fart)

i think this will be his last year at Wigan, and for a utility player he's served us well. He may go on to get another year or 2 in the championship, as he seems fit enough to.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personallyim ok with ISA staying, i think if Bateman leaves KPP slots in with ISA as cover. I also wouldnt want to invest too much at 2nd row - its probably one of the areas you can afford to have "squad players" its not a key pivot role.

I think in years gone by Wigans 2nd row has stood out but more due to lack of genuine centre threat which we now should have having 2 decent centres.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure