Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There are reasons that Owen might want to play League for two or three seasons.

I'd imagine by now he's thinking beyond his playing days and looking at coaching. He's seen how successful his Dad is and Shaun Edwards as well. More recently he will have watched with interest how Kevin Sinfield has gone at Leicester.

Owen could be thinking that a spell in League could put him in the area he will learn most about coaching. Sinfield has been very successful after just a few seasons in Union and maybe OF may think League could consolidate his position in returning to Union as an assistant coach.
tomyogi

Post by tomyogi »

i read something on a union site called ruck, It stated that owen would like to come to league but not until 2027 when hes 35! for me this is far to late in his career.
:P :) :D ;) :o
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

I think if a move were ever to happen it would need to be after the Union World Cup next year meaning for the 2025 season.

I don’t see him coming before that and at 33/34 you may get 2 seasons out of him. He’s a player that looks after himself and playing at 10 in Union he won’t have taken as much hammer as he would have had he been playing league for the last decade.
tomyogi

Post by tomyogi »

yes it would be nice to have another Farrell and especially Andy's son (Andy Farrell was my favourite player growing up) but at that age i would rather we invest in someone who wants to play league and play for our great club and not as a career finisher

the rugby union world cup is later this year so i was hoping that we could sign him for 2024 and he could play for a few years for us but this is more than likely just a dream
Gaznier

Post by Gaznier »

Yeah at 35.. let leigh have him.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Gaznier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:24 pm Yeah at 35.. let leigh have him.
I tend to agree with you, but, just as football clubs will sign a 35 or 36 year old Ronaldo for the publicity, gates and shirt sales, Wigan would consider what extra-curricular benefits they'd get from Farrell.

From his point of view, the money he could get in Union will always trump what we could offer. When you know your career is nearing its sell-by date, my guess is that his head will rule his heart and he'll stay in yawnion.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
tomyogi

Post by tomyogi »

i suppose the only other benefit is his kicking. get him helping harry smith for a couple of years will certainly only help smiths kicking game. not saying smith isnt good but learning from someone like owen would be a big help to anyone
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I get money is important in life but I’m sure the lad is extremely comfortable. If he came to Wigan now you’d imagine he’d be offered a very good deal, which in RL terms would be 250-300k+ per season. That’s a drop in the ocean to what I guess he’s being paid now but as I said, I’m sure he’s comfortable. If a move to play for Wigan was important enough to him, money wouldn’t be a huge factor IMO. Him doing it at 35 or so is pointless, it’s now or never pretty much.

Ultimately I sense his earnings would win out and fair play to him for that. Nobody likes a wage reduction but I’m sure he could get by on 300k a year if it was that important to him.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

How many more fans or more importantly season ticket sales, will be generated as a result of signing Owen Farrell do we think?

I don't disagree on the thought of him being a lucrative signing, I just think there's far too much sentiment floating around.

Comparing Rugby League and Premier League players are world's apart, in short RL crowds are on their arse, will take more than Farrell to box that one off!

The fact it might benefit Farrell in his coaching career long-term, good for Farrell, but at 35ish, what type of player would we get (and he won't be on peanuts, through the books or not).

Its an exciting thought, I just think his age and the fact he's only played RL in his amateur days are red flags with big bucks! Inglis, Powell, Burrell et al!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

To be honest I dont think he would sell a lot of season tickets if he signed he is getting too old to come back into RL and make an impact