Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Jonh

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by Jonh »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:04 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 am
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:08 am

Did George Burgess put bums on seats
Has French or Field put bums on seats.
Did Andy Powell?
None of those have/had the same profile/reputation as Owen Farrell, plus he is a local lad who has reached the top in Rugby Union. He may have that desire to play for his home town club, time will tell but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
I can honestly say, George Burgess was one of the overseas signings we've made in a lifetime, where i genuinely believed we signed a 'world class player'. French and Field were unknown especially in SL and I actually thought Andy Powell tried so hard (Huddersfield 2013 playoffs stands out), but was too old and inexperienced to move over to RL. I felt rather sad over Burgess rather than angry or frustrated. I've made my options clear on Owen Farrell, prove me wrong and il crack the champagne open. My opinion is, he's never going to be Andy or Liam and that's different generations!
That is correct, he wouldn’t be his dad or cousin, he would be himself. He doesn’t play like his dad or his cousin so expecting him to do so should he come to league would be strange.

I’ve no doubt Owen Farrell could be an asset to Wigan for a couple of years on the field, not just a player there to make up the numbers or for profile.

On the subject of profile however it would be huge.

Signing him in the eyes of the non rugby league media would be the biggest signing that the club ever made.

He is by far the most talked about and most famous rugby player in the country and one of the top 5 most talked about rugby players in the World, a list that probably doesn’t include any league players in the top 30….unless they are linked with a move to Union.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:08 am
medlocke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:00 pm

Doubt it.
Why?

Did George Burgess put bums on seats
Has French or Field put bums on seats.
Did Andy Powell?
yes
yes
no
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

This rumour seems to be gathering momentum again. Do we genuinely think it will happen or not?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think honestly he will stay in union last night will have hurt his pride he will want to go again to try and right that wrong
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

No change from what I was told ages ago that this is still on the cards. I couldn't and still can't quite believe it though loads of things seem to be falling into place for it too. Once again though that could be me making it all fit because of who and where it came from.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

lucky 13 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:51 pm No change from what I was told ages ago that this is still on the cards. I couldn't and still can't quite believe it though loads of things seem to be falling into place for it too. Once again though that could be me making it all fit because of who and where it came from.
Fair enough so the rumours are promising then.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I think last night will have convinced him that he won't be in a position to win the next one. He'll be 36 and not the player he is today. The team needs a partial re-build and a change in tactics. They did well under the circumstances (complete mess left by Jones) to get to the semi and did nearly surprise the springboks but they are not one of the four best sides in the World. They can't play in the style they did last night for the next few years and get away with it either in terms of results or entertainment. I'm convinced that If that side tried to play entertaining rugby they'd get battered by all four top sides. I don't know if Faz fancies being part of a re-build, with no chance of winning the six nations for a couple of seasons, or if he and the coach know that it's time to move on but if he does fancy a stint in RL is had to be for next season. I'm very sceptical that he could make the transition successfully with us (it would have to be at 13) but it would be a hell of a story and I'll certainly be there cheering him on. I do think that Faz will make a world class coach one day and I'd love that to be in league. If playing for us makes that transition more likely it's another reason to get excited.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:59 pm I think last night will have convinced him that he won't be in a position to win the next one. He'll be 36 and not the player he is today. The team needs a partial re-build and a change in tactics. They did well under the circumstances (complete mess left by Jones) to get to the semi and did nearly surprise the springboks but they are not one of the four best sides in the World. They can't play in the style they did last night for the next few years and get away with it either in terms of results or entertainment. I'm convinced that If that side tried to play entertaining rugby they'd get battered by all four top sides. I don't know if Faz fancies being part of a re-build, with no chance of winning the six nations for a couple of seasons, or if he and the coach know that it's time to move on but if he does fancy a stint in RL is had to be for next season. I'm very sceptical that he could make the transition successfully with us (it would have to be at 13) but it would be a hell of a story and I'll certainly be there cheering him on. I do think that Faz will make a world class coach one day and I'd love that to be in league. If playing for us makes that transition more likely it's another reason to get excited.
I genuinely do think it would be hard. For him but as a ball playing 13 I reckon he’d do a good job for us don’t think we’d have any issues with goal kicking or kicks for territory either
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I have posted this a few times so sorry in advance but since I was told I have been looking at RU articles and forums. The written media seems to have turned on him over that same period. Like with all this it could be that England have been poor and he's the highest profile player so got the flack. Though I do wonder if some have got an idea of what's coming. It's the same with his contract he's 31 probably peaked and RU at club level is struggling with 600m of debt. He was in 700k and they was saying he had been offered less that since went up steadily last contract was believed to be 1m a season which was before world cup but still not signed. Why would it keep going up is what I asked myself? Again you can make it fit that it was Wigan. Smithies leaving the 13 shirt the latest in a line of pieces falling into place.
Why would he come well it's not for money at least not short term. Reason I say that is he's got maybe 3 years left but after that you already see quotes saying in union circles he's a great coach,
it looks like ticking a box in your CV with some league is no bad thing it's a long career after you finish playing. Maybe it's an itch, a boyhood dream and he's already more than set up for life.
Sure we will find out shortly.
I was hoping we would see Smithies tied up and Harry Smith extended I would have loved that to be the case, I have a feeling Harry may extend as it was being discussed definitely interesting times. I can see the new kit reveal in the next few weeks starting with the socks then camera pans up to the shirt with 13 on the back :D
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Owen Farrell is a class rugby player, period.