Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
southportcdm

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by southportcdm »

Whoever the new England rugby union coach is (likely to be Borthwick from Leicester) Owen will fight for his place at least until the union World Cup. He wouldn't be available to any league team until the 2024 season and I really think that - a) nobody could afford him and - b) he'd be too old/damaged by then to make a big impression. Absolutely a non-starter to come to us. If I didn't like him so much as say it'd be fun to see Warrington pay a fortune for him and waste their cash but I hope that doesn't happen. The other rumours about Eddie Jones coming to Wigan are even more ridiculous even though he would probably be tempted by a stint at South Sydney by what I've seen in some reports.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Eddie Jones to Wigan....I'd rather have Tom Jones!
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:21 pm Whoever the new England rugby union coach is (likely to be Borthwick from Leicester) Owen will fight for his place at least until the union World Cup. He wouldn't be available to any league team until the 2024 season and I really think that - a) nobody could afford him and - b) he'd be too old/damaged by then to make a big impression. Absolutely a non-starter to come to us. If I didn't like him so much as say it'd be fun to see Warrington pay a fortune for him and waste their cash but I hope that doesn't happen. The other rumours about Eddie Jones coming to Wigan are even more ridiculous even though he would probably be tempted by a stint at South Sydney by what I've seen in some reports.
Too damaged? How many carries and tackles does he make a game? Genuine question.
I would be more worried about his lack of playing the sport for 20 years. Can’t take that much out of the body booting it 50 yards down the field every time you get the ball.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Cobracraig - I take your point but have you seen how many games he's missed in the past few seasons? He's injured a lot and has had a few concussion episodes too. I'm sure he could have been an excellent league player but am convinced that it's now too late for a player that would demand a huge salary. Missing out on Owen as a player and his dad as a coach have been huge loses to our game but both those ships have sailed and I'm much more concerned about what we're planning to do about the Bateman situation.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ide sign pryce for a season…… hes another that would put bums on seats…… him bevan and jai is mouthwatering
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:37 pm Ide sign pryce for a season…… hes another that would put bums on seats…… him bevan and jai is mouthwatering
Isn't this just a theory though?

How many extra people have gone watching Wigan because of French and Field? Whilst I agree it will have, but I don't think the changes will be massive.

Similarly, how many fans will there be who aren't going to live games consider Will Pryce a factor in switching that stance? I guess it will be very few, is he really a game changer?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:37 pm Ide sign pryce for a season…… hes another that would put bums on seats…… him bevan and jai is mouthwatering
Isn't this just a theory though?

How many extra people have gone watching Wigan because of French and Field? Whilst I agree it will have, but I don't think the changes will be massive.

Similarly, how many fans will there be who aren't going to live games consider Will Pryce a factor in switching that stance? I guess it will be very few, is he really a game changer?
I know this is anecdotal, but my brother goes to 1/2 game a year. Used to be a regular 10 years ago.

“I need to watch them two live” Went to 6/7 games when field and French were in the squad
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:46 am Cobracraig - I take your point but have you seen how many games he's missed in the past few seasons? He's injured a lot and has had a few concussion episodes too. I'm sure he could have been an excellent league player but am convinced that it's now too late for a player that would demand a huge salary. Missing out on Owen as a player and his dad as a coach have been huge loses to our game but both those ships have sailed and I'm much more concerned about what we're planning to do about the Bateman situation.
Im fully with you on that, the only way I would be happy is if he came on peanuts but that really isn’t going to happen. I don’t know what position he would play? Most say 13 but if what you’re saying is right and he’s injury prone with less physical work load in Union how is he gonna cope with 10/15 plus carries and 30/40 tackles a game?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

If Farrell came he would cost £0 on the salary cap for year one and the half his salary in year two or £175K if he was marquee.
CobraCraig

Post by CobraCraig »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:58 am If Farrell came he would cost £0 on the salary cap for year one and the half his salary in year two or £175K if he was marquee.

We would still have to pay him his wages though.
Its a nice sentiment for Owen to think he can come back and finish his career in League (if reports of this are true) but for me if it was at Wigan he would have to make financial sacrifices that when it comes to it just wouldn’t be wise for him and his family when he will potentially have massive contracts on the table from French/Japanese Union clubs. He’d have been the type of signing Toronto or Salford under Koukash might have made but I’m not sure anyone else will risk it even with the salary dispensation.