New Prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Re: New Prop

Post by ddtftf »

I was talking to Kevin Brown who is now an agent for a few players and he told me Wigan were interested in
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves that is why i posted it , but seems all is quiet on the recruitment front now, but i felt it was worth posting .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:43 pm
tomyogi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 pm i agree with you there with cooper and i thought he was good last season but IMO we need someone else like a Jared Waerea-Hargreaves or a Josh Papalii someone who strikes the fear into defenders like big Iafeta Paleaaesina
All those players you mention are foreign. All our foreign players are contracted and without other teams offering for them, we couldn't offload them.

Feka back as he was when he was at his peak for us and his heaviest just wouldn't work now their are less subs available. The game has shifted away from having a huge lumbering ? as Feka was. As much as Mago seems to be trying to bring it back

Edited, you can’t call someone that!
Just on the subject of impact props, I don't think it's necessarily true that you can't have a Feka style impact player who plays fewer minutes these days, as I don't think it's as big a risk as it used to be.

If I'm not mistaken, back in Feka's day the standard subs bench had 2 props, 1 back row and a hooker. I'm pretty sure it was considered a surprise (and a bit of a risk) when coaches started having 3 props on the bench. Now there's a tendency for back row forwards to be super fit and play 80 minutes (at least at Wigan). Wigan also buck the trend with generally having an 80 minute hooker too (but no, this discussion isn't going to be about he who must not be named). To me that means that sort of impact player is less of a risk if you're packing the bench with middles. I think the difference is the game has shifted away from coaches tolerating players who can't defend and often an 'impact player' is explosive but lacks fitness and the lack of fitness can impact their defensive ability.

Last year I think Mago showed occasionally that an impact player can still be effective. With our pack mostly being hard grafters and players who can play decent minutes but not always have a huge impact they were a little bit similar across the board and 15 minutes of Mago did sometimes make a difference earlier in the year. After all, he must have been capable of doing something the coaches liked as he only missed 1 Super League game all season. I think the issue is consistency. If he consistently had an impact he'd be fairly valuable even for just 15 minutes twice a game.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

i see the mole reporting we are interested in eddie batty from wakey got to be a wind up
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

stevo38 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:33 pm i see the mole reporting we are interested in eddie batty from wakey got to be a wind up
I’d sooner have King from HKR.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

stevo38 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:33 pm i see the mole reporting we are interested in eddie batty from wakey got to be a wind up
Where’s the mole said that ??
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Surely we would be looking at a former prop of ours, JFTB and all that
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:19 pm
Where’s the mole said that ??
on a facebook rugby page ill find the link
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

batty.jpg
batty.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:35 pm Surely we would be looking at a former prop of ours, JFTB and all that
Who??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:59 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:35 pm Surely we would be looking at a former prop of ours, JFTB and all that
Who??
Jobs for the boys ;) :lol: