New Prop

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: New Prop

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:38 pm I’m still praying we do a final piece of recruitment before the season starts. Can our pack lay the platform for our backs? I know we’ve covered it a lot and with Batty going we’re a little short and we do have some options but feeling worried we’re a little light in the pack…

Hope I’m wrong!

Props:

Mago
Singleton
Havard
Ellis
Byrne
Cooper
Silva
Hill

Back row

Farrell
Isa
KPP
Smithies
Shorrocks
Nsemba

Looking on paper, considering you ideally need at least 4 props in a match day team and at least 4 from the back row, we look very thin on the ground if we lose even just one or two players for any substantial period. Hopefully this could be time for Hill and/or Nsemba to step up. Not convinced on Silva. Not sure where he stands in terms of getting any sort of first team action but he has a number again this season
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Really enjoyed watching Hill against Whitehaven last week, lads got bags of potential, but this season may just be a little too soon.
tomyogi

Post by tomyogi »

i am also about disappointed with the lack of recruitment up front, yes im happy with the players we have but losing bateman i was hoping this was our change to sign a big enforcer. ive felt for the past few years our pack yes it is mobile but lacks size and power at times
:P :) :D ;) :o
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

The club has tied it’s hands really when it comes to recruitment. We keep losing British players and when you’ve filled your overseas quota up already, it makes it extremely tricky to try and get players in. To do it we need something unexpected to crop up in this country (like Cooper last season), to get a British NRL player in or to move an overseas player on, to bring one in. If that were to be Miski or Mago, you need them to agree to any exit.

I’m happy with much of what the club has done recently but they need to improve in that area IMO. No overseas player should simply be a squad filler and we have a couple.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:26 pm The club has tied it’s hands really when it comes to recruitment. We keep losing British players and when you’ve filled your overseas quota up already, it makes it extremely tricky to try and get players in. To do it we need something unexpected to crop up in this country (like Cooper last season), to get a British NRL player in or to move an overseas player on, to bring one in. If that were to be Miski or Mago, you need them to agree to any exit.

I’m happy with much of what the club has done recently but they need to improve in that area IMO. No overseas player should simply be a squad filler and we have a couple.
We have got to stop the talent drain. Players going to the NRL is bad enough, losing them to other SL clubs is criminal.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

tomyogi wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:41 am i am also about disappointed with the lack of recruitment up front, yes im happy with the players we have but losing bateman i was hoping this was our change to sign a big enforcer. ive felt for the past few years our pack yes it is mobile but lacks size and power at times
I think that's what Cooper was brought in for really. A seasoned, big, tough, no nonsense prop. Hopefully he can improve on his start to his Wigan career with a good pre season behind him
tomyogi

Post by tomyogi »

i agree with you there with cooper and i thought he was good last season but IMO we need someone else like a Jared Waerea-Hargreaves or a Josh Papalii someone who strikes the fear into defenders like big Iafeta Paleaaesina
:P :) :D ;) :o
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

tomyogi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 pm i agree with you there with cooper and i thought he was good last season but IMO we need someone else like a Jared Waerea-Hargreaves or a Josh Papalii someone who strikes the fear into defenders like big Iafeta Paleaaesina
All those players you mention are foreign. All our foreign players are contracted and without other teams offering for them, we couldn't offload them.

Feka back as he was when he was at his peak for us and his heaviest just wouldn't work now their are less subs available. The game has shifted away from having a huge lumbering ? as Feka was. As much as Mago seems to be trying to bring it back

Edited, you can’t call someone that!
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

tomyogi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 pm i agree with you there with cooper and i thought he was good last season but IMO we need someone else like a Jared Waerea-Hargreaves or a Josh Papalii someone who strikes the fear into defenders like big Iafeta Paleaaesina
Papalii is finished, wouldn’t have him over Havard/Byrne
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

:P
The Pearl1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:06 am
Papalii is finished, wouldn’t have him over Havard/Byrne
Thought that was a serious message at first 😂😂😂