Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Dreamteam

Re: 2024.

Post by Dreamteam »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:51 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:00 pm I don’t care if an alien coaches us providing we are winning trophies.
Honestly there has to be a certain style to the way a team plays though surely?

How many of us lapped up what was on offer after the dreadfull lam era? all of us I suspect coaches set the tone for a side to play we shall soon see how much influence Briers had on the side.
There was people throwing all sorts at wane when we was winning stuff every year, those people shave since realised how bad things can get. You take what you’re given if you win trophies. Saints under holbrook where brilliant to watch, under Woolf absolute dreadful to watch. Both won a lot of trophies
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:00 pm I don’t care if an alien coaches us providing we are winning trophies.

How many of us lapped up what was on offer after the dreadfull lam era? all of us I suspect coaches set the tone for a side to play we shall soon see how much influence Briers had on the side.
Personally, I would rather have a team winning trophies than one that plays entertaining rugby and is found wanting when the silverware is handed out. Obviously, getting both would be better.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

While I want to take nothing away from the effort Briers put in for us comment like this a bit of a kick In in the face for our coaching team.

Matty Peet was our head coach last year and will be again this year. It will he very disappointing to see people put any good down to the changes made with Briers and any bad down to peet/lockers/Tommy.

Same happened with Wane he took all the flak and anything good was assistant coaches or players ignoring him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 am
medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:22 pm

Just because a few of the vocal minority spew jobs for boys doesn't make it true, neither does dismissing example of why it isn't and clinging to the same old examples of why it is.

Plenty of clubs have had roles such as director of rugby and to success as well.
But hell, why would we want a trophy winning rugby geek known for his ability to motivate people involved in the club.
Why are you so interested in being stuck in the past, do you not want the club to move forward with new blood, Jobs for the boys is alive and well no matter what you claim
I wonder if it would be Jobs for Boys if they brought Tomkins back in some capacity or would that be different because of who it was?

Jobs for boys is a farcical statement. Clubs rightly support players in development for after retirement and if the best person available is a ex wigan player so what?

Let's use Tommy, for example if we had taken on an assistant coach who was a just retired player but had experience already and was involved in the NZW coaching set up no one would bat and eyelid but because he was playing for Wigan.....
Yes it would be a jobs for the boys kind of appointment if Tomkins became a coach but at least he has had exposure to playing under different coaches.

Jobs for the boys is not a farcical statement. It just describes what goes on with Wigan going for past players and if the rumour is correct giving a past coach a job.

As to “rightly supporting players after retirement” don’t be ridiculous. The club should be employing the best people for the job which at some point is bound not to be an Ex Wigan player or coach. Not operating a retirement home for past players.

It’s from the top down. Rads is an ex Wigan player (and he’s not up to it), Wane was, Lockers was , TL was. Of the first team coaching staff there is only one member, Jack Philips the head of analysis who has worked for any other top RL club (he’s even worked for NRL sides and has quite an impressive CV ) but other than him and one of the physios who was at Widnes the sum total of exposure to other ideas by working at other clubs is a big fat zero.

When Briers arrived this was hailed as a good thing. Now he’s gone the entire first team coaching staff bar Philips know nothing other than what they were exposed to under Wane (mostly), Lam and season of so of Peet. Not a good thing in my opinion. At least send Lockers to the NRL for a couple of years to learn, not just give him a job because he’s passed his coaching exams.

You might not like the term jobs for the boys but it’s very descriptive of how Wigan is staffed and operates rarely looking beyond the club or its past players.
Wes

Post by Wes »

You had any internal promotions DaveO?
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:12 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
Why are you so interested in being stuck in the past, do you not want the club to move forward with new blood, Jobs for the boys is alive and well no matter what you claim
I wonder if it would be Jobs for Boys if they brought Tomkins back in some capacity or would that be different because of who it was?

Jobs for boys is a farcical statement. Clubs rightly support players in development for after retirement and if the best person available is a ex wigan player so what?

Let's use Tommy, for example if we had taken on an assistant coach who was a just retired player but had experience already and was involved in the NZW coaching set up no one would bat and eyelid but because he was playing for Wigan.....
Yes it would be a jobs for the boys kind of appointment if Tomkins became a coach but at least he has had exposure to playing under different coaches.

Jobs for the boys is not a farcical statement. It just describes what goes on with Wigan going for past players and if the rumour is correct giving a past coach a job.

As to “rightly supporting players after retirement” don’t be ridiculous. The club should be employing the best people for the job which at some point is bound not to be an Ex Wigan player or coach. Not operating a retirement home for past players.

It’s from the top down. Rads is an ex Wigan player (and he’s not up to it), Wane was, Lockers was , TL was. Of the first team coaching staff there is only one member, Jack Philips the head of analysis who has worked for any other top RL club (he’s even worked for NRL sides and has quite an impressive CV ) but other than him and one of the physios who was at Widnes the sum total of exposure to other ideas by working at other clubs is a big fat zero.

When Briers arrived this was hailed as a good thing. Now he’s gone the entire first team coaching staff bar Philips know nothing other than what they were exposed to under Wane (mostly), Lam and season of so of Peet. Not a good thing in my opinion. At least send Lockers to the NRL for a couple of years to learn, not just give him a job because he’s passed his coaching exams.

You might not like the term jobs for the boys but it’s very descriptive of how Wigan is staffed and operates rarely looking beyond the club or its past players.
Once again, a very narrow viewpoint to support an agenda rather than a balanced view. Did Lockers not play under Maguire as well as Noble and IIRC Betts at club level Dave? Did he not play under McNamara and the most successful coach ever, Wayne Bennett, as well as others at international Level? Did Tommy not play under different coaches at London and the New Zealand warriors or as a world cup winner for New Zealand as well as literally just having coaching experience at international level? Why do you always ignore facts unless they fit your agenda?

As an aside, how do you know which coaches Peet, Lockers, Tommy and Wane have exchanged ideas with? Do you manage their diaries? It's common knowledge that several coaches, including international ones from both codes, have been to Wigan training sessions as well as reciprocating by inviting our coaches over to their clubs.

The simple fact is you have less than no idea just how many different coaching environments each of our staff has been exposed to. And that's before I even get onto shared experiences with other sports.

Here's an idea: why not see how they actually go this year before criticising? I'd be interested to know your thoughts should we win the title. I'm betting you still wouldn't admit to being wrong.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Flash wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:12 pm

Once again, a very narrow viewpoint to support an agenda rather than a balanced view. Did Lockers not play under Maguire as well as Noble and IIRC Betts at club level Dave? Did he not play under McNamara and the most successful coach ever, Wayne Bennett, as well as others at international Level? Did Tommy not play under different coaches at London and the New Zealand warriors or as a world cup winner for New Zealand as well as literally just having coaching experience at international level? Why do you always ignore facts unless they fit your agenda?

As an aside, how do you know which coaches Peet, Lockers, Tommy and Wane have exchanged ideas with? Do you manage their diaries? It's common knowledge that several coaches, including international ones from both codes, have been to Wigan training sessions as well as reciprocating by inviting our coaches over to their clubs.

The simple fact is you have less than no idea just how many different coaching environments each of our staff has been exposed to. And that's before I even get onto shared experiences with other sports.

Here's an idea: why not see how they actually go this year before criticising? I'd be interested to know your thoughts should we win the title. I'm betting you still wouldn't admit to being wrong.
Spot on!!! 👋👋👋👋

(See also my thoughts re fans on another thread.)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:56 pm

There was people throwing all sorts at wane when we was winning stuff every year, those people shave since realised how bad things can get. You take what you’re given if you win trophies. Saints under holbrook where brilliant to watch, under Woolf absolute dreadful to watch. Both won a lot of trophies
Completly agree with you,oddly the odd time Wane let the side of the leash they could play and play well in my opinion.

Holbrook saints side as yij say where great to watch quite how Woolf turned them I to the side they became is a shame but they won stuff so it kept fans happy I suppose,still prefer rugby to be a joy to go to,as Wigan gave us last season than a chore
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Cust’s agent speaks regarding Cade’s contract situation.

https://www.totalrl.com/cade-custs-deci ... his-agent/
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:23 pm Cust’s agent speaks regarding Cade’s contract situation.

https://www.totalrl.com/cade-custs-deci ... his-agent/
Good to hear. Even if he leaves, although it would be our loss.I’d be happy to see him go on and make it in the NRL. Seems like a nice lad and from what he produced last year he looks to have what it takes