Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
medlocke

Re: 2024.

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:22 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:05 pm Any news on a 2nd row for 2024 or before? Faz can’t go on forever, Isa is past it and KPP is leaving.

As to Wane getting a more hands on role if his England job comes to an end, I am sorry but why? Peet is the coach and doesn’t need Wane hovering over him. This really would be another Rads “jobs for the boys” appointment if it comes to pass.
Just because a few of the vocal minority spew jobs for boys doesn't make it true, neither does dismissing example of why it isn't and clinging to the same old examples of why it is.

Plenty of clubs have had roles such as director of rugby and to success as well.
But hell, why would we want a trophy winning rugby geek known for his ability to motivate people involved in the club.
Why are you so interested in being stuck in the past, do you not want the club to move forward with new blood, Jobs for the boys is alive and well no matter what you claim
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

And to have Shaun Wayne involved in the club in any capacity is a huge bonus for us as far as I’m concerned. He’s Wigan through and through and you will struggle to find many who are more motivated for Wigan to win.

Reading the nay sayers he will be taking over full control of everything but I doubt that would happen at all.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:05 pm Any news on a 2nd row for 2024 or before? Faz can’t go on forever, Isa is past it and KPP is leaving.

As to Wane getting a more hands on role if his England job comes to an end, I am sorry but why? Peet is the coach and doesn’t need Wane hovering over him. This really would be another Rads “jobs for the boys” appointment if it comes to pass.
Just because a few of the vocal minority spew jobs for boys doesn't make it true, neither does dismissing example of why it isn't and clinging to the same old examples of why it is.

Plenty of clubs have had roles such as director of rugby and to success as well.
But hell, why would we want a trophy winning rugby geek known for his ability to motivate people involved in the club.
Why are you so interested in being stuck in the past, do you not want the club to move forward with new blood, Jobs for the boys is alive and well no matter what you claim
I wouldn’t get too caught up in the Wane situation as whilst it gets people talking the original post says, he may be staying with England, he may not (I think he will). He may come to Wigan with more responsibility, he may not. He may go to another SL club, he may not, or he may go to Union.

As someone else has said it pretty much covers all bases for his future.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I wonder if it would be Jobs for Boys if they brought Tomkins back in some capacity or would that be different because of who it was?

Jobs for boys is a farcical statement. Clubs rightly support players in development for after retirement and if the best person available is a ex wigan player so what?

Let's use Tommy, for example if we had taken on an assistant coach who was a just retired player but had experience already and was involved in the NZW coaching set up no one would bat and eyelid but because he was playing for Wigan.....
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 am

I wonder if it would be Jobs for Boys if they brought Tomkins back in some capacity or would that be different because of who it was?

Jobs for boys is a farcical statement. Clubs rightly support players in development for after retirement and if the best person available is a ex wigan player so what?

Let's use Tommy, for example if we had taken on an assistant coach who was a just retired player but had experience already and was involved in the NZW coaching set up no one would bat and eyelid but because he was playing for Wigan.....
i can genuinely see both sides of this arguement and i think the problem has stemmed from the Wigan leadership, in that they allow players to leave their contracts early (admittedly often getting some good transfer fee) but then let them player come back if / when it has failed, what is seemingly far too easy.

We have had both tomkins, bateman, sarginson, mossop, Williams (admittedly Wire allegedly gazumped that deal or he would be here now), burgess who have all left recently for the promised land of the NRL, only to be back on the Wigan books within 24 months. How many have come back a better player or played better than before they left? Genuinely, IMO none of them

now onto the coaching setup. Briers was brought in last year as a fresh set of eyes, and something different from promoting from within. I could be overselling him, but our attack (especially after 2 years of Lam) was completely different.

Matty Peet has to be given a lot of credit for the way he transformed the culture / atmosphere etc off the pitch, and to an extent performances on the pitch. It is a strange one as he was promoted from within, and was part of the poor culture / performances from the previous years, so was he told to do what Lam told him to do, or did he have any say in what was going on. Looking at the transformation, i would go for the former as they are 2 different worlds.

I'm not saying that Lockers / TL or any other player should not get an opportunity, but for me it has to be the best person on merit, and if that person comes from outside of the Wigan club, then so be it. I have missed out on internal promotions for external candidates. No issues, as they were better than me at that point in time, so i just made sure i was ready the next time the role came up. So as in my experience, if there is a better candidate applies for a role, then it should be awarded based on suitability / merit for the job, not just because they are a good guy and are already there
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Good post Pieman 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I think the players returning from the NRL and our recruitment of coaching staff are two completely separate issues, though they crop up together due to the superficial "jobs for the boys" trope.

As far as coaching goes, over the last 10 years or so we've had Wane, Lam, Goulding, Lockers, Peet, and Tommy, (amongst others) involved at some level. All have been appointed or promoted from within or brought back having played here.

Overall, I'd say any fair assessment would be that they've done pretty well for us. The weak spot is probably Lam, but even in his case there is scope for debate over the impact of Covid restrictions and injuries to two key players.

Another aspect is to compare us with teams like Leeds or Saints. Leeds had "happy" Daryl Powell, Sinfield and JJB involved, and Saints had Cunningham and Wellness for example. I think our record stand up against theirs.

Finally, Lee Briers is used to argue against "jobs for the boys". He was certainly very influential. However he surely disproves the jobs for the boys theory: the fact that we recruited him tends to show that we cast our net wider than just those with Wigan connections.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion of our coaches, bit if Matty Peet, Lockers and Tommy left Wigan, I'm sure they'd all get jobs with other clubs. Not so sure where we'd get replacements of equal calibre.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wes

Post by Wes »

The only thing I would say the pieman is going off our pre season against Salford we are still playing exciting rugby without Briers.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I don’t care if an alien coaches us providing we are winning trophies.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:00 pm I don’t care if an alien coaches us providing we are winning trophies.
Honestly there has to be a certain style to the way a team plays though surely?

How many of us lapped up what was on offer after the dreadfull lam era? all of us I suspect coaches set the tone for a side to play we shall soon see how much influence Briers had on the side.