Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: 2024.

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Big stick wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:23 pm Cust’s agent speaks regarding Cade’s contract situation.

https://www.totalrl.com/cade-custs-deci ... his-agent/
Good to hear. Even if he leaves, although it would be our loss.I’d be happy to see him go on and make it in the NRL. Seems like a nice lad and from what he produced last year he looks to have what it takes
We need to step in and offer him a new contract.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:41 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:56 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:51 pm

Honestly there has to be a certain style to the way a team plays though surely?

How many of us lapped up what was on offer after the dreadfull lam era? all of us I suspect coaches set the tone for a side to play we shall soon see how much influence Briers had on the side.
There was people throwing all sorts at wane when we was winning stuff every year, those people shave since realised how bad things can get. You take what you’re given if you win trophies. Saints under holbrook where brilliant to watch, under Woolf absolute dreadful to watch. Both won a lot of trophies
Completly agree with you,oddly the odd time Wane let the side of the leash they could play and play well in my opinion.

Holbrook saints side as yij say where great to watch quite how Woolf turned them I to the side they became is a shame but they won stuff so it kept fans happy I suppose,still prefer rugby to be a joy to go to,as Wigan gave us last season than a chore
Makes u wonder why so many people stuck behind lam when they also wanted wane out 🤷‍♂️
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dreamteam wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:48 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:41 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:56 pm

There was people throwing all sorts at wane when we was winning stuff every year, those people shave since realised how bad things can get. You take what you’re given if you win trophies. Saints under holbrook where brilliant to watch, under Woolf absolute dreadful to watch. Both won a lot of trophies
Completly agree with you,oddly the odd time Wane let the side of the leash they could play and play well in my opinion.

Holbrook saints side as yij say where great to watch quite how Woolf turned them I to the side they became is a shame but they won stuff so it kept fans happy I suppose,still prefer rugby to be a joy to go to,as Wigan gave us last season than a chore
Makes u wonder why so many people stuck behind lam when they also wanted wane out 🤷‍♂️
Did they, though?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Just seen the link to the Cust article, Ill add a bit more from my original post…. Cust himself informed Wigan that Manly had been in contact with him. I dont know the ins and outs of that conversation but he told Wigan he is happy here. The fact Cust told Wigan about the contact is a good thing in my opinion. Wigan obviously are slightly sceptical of the situation as they are already aware of interest in Cust and thats why they are planning what they would look to do and who to recruit in the halves just incase.

Weird his agent has spoken out so soon however.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:44 pm You had any internal promotions DaveO?
Yes but then the company recruits from outside as well as you would expect.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:42 pm
Flash wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:12 pm

Yes it would be a jobs for the boys kind of appointment if Tomkins became a coach but at least he has had exposure to playing under different coaches.

Jobs for the boys is not a farcical statement. It just describes what goes on with Wigan going for past players and if the rumour is correct giving a past coach a job.

As to “rightly supporting players after retirement” don’t be ridiculous. The club should be employing the best people for the job which at some point is bound not to be an Ex Wigan player or coach. Not operating a retirement home for past players.

It’s from the top down. Rads is an ex Wigan player (and he’s not up to it), Wane was, Lockers was , TL was. Of the first team coaching staff there is only one member, Jack Philips the head of analysis who has worked for any other top RL club (he’s even worked for NRL sides and has quite an impressive CV ) but other than him and one of the physios who was at Widnes the sum total of exposure to other ideas by working at other clubs is a big fat zero.

When Briers arrived this was hailed as a good thing. Now he’s gone the entire first team coaching staff bar Philips know nothing other than what they were exposed to under Wane (mostly), Lam and season of so of Peet. Not a good thing in my opinion. At least send Lockers to the NRL for a couple of years to learn, not just give him a job because he’s passed his coaching exams.

You might not like the term jobs for the boys but it’s very descriptive of how Wigan is staffed and operates rarely looking beyond the club or its past players.
Once again, a very narrow viewpoint to support an agenda rather than a balanced view. Did Lockers not play under Maguire as well as Noble and IIRC Betts at club level Dave? Did he not play under McNamara and the most successful coach ever, Wayne Bennett, as well as others at international Level? Did Tommy not play under different coaches at London and the New Zealand warriors or as a world cup winner for New Zealand as well as literally just having coaching experience at international level? Why do you always ignore facts unless they fit your agenda?

As an aside, how do you know which coaches Peet, Lockers, Tommy and Wane have exchanged ideas with? Do you manage their diaries? It's common knowledge that several coaches, including international ones from both codes, have been to Wigan training sessions as well as reciprocating by inviting our coaches over to their clubs.

The simple fact is you have less than no idea just how many different coaching environments each of our staff has been exposed to. And that's before I even get onto shared experiences with other sports.

Here's an idea: why not see how they actually go this year before criticising? I'd be interested to know your thoughts should we win the title. I'm betting you still wouldn't admit to being wrong.
Spot on!!! 👋👋👋👋

(See also my thoughts re fans on another thread.)
I have not got an “Agenda” as you out it and it’s silly to suggest I have.

I also can’t believe you are citing Madge and Noble as examples of players and coaches being exposed to other ideas. Noble left 14 years ago and Madge who was only here two season anyway left 12 years ago.

So there you go. To find any evidence of any exposure to ideas outside other than Briers you have to go that far back which simply underlines my point.

Peet’s first head coach role came in 2011 when he was under 18’s coach and so him and the other coaches were not contemporaries of Madge and Noble anyway but even if they were I’d suggest it being that long ago makes it pretty irrelevant.

As to exposure to other coaches you are now literally making stuff up. You say I have no idea of their diaries? Well neither do you but if we stick to the facts we do know that none of them have any coaching experience outside of Wigan.
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:16 pm
Flash wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 am

Once again, a very narrow viewpoint to support an agenda rather than a balanced view. Did Lockers not play under Maguire as well as Noble and IIRC Betts at club level Dave? Did he not play under McNamara and the most successful coach ever, Wayne Bennett, as well as others at international Level? Did Tommy not play under different coaches at London and the New Zealand warriors or as a world cup winner for New Zealand as well as literally just having coaching experience at international level? Why do you always ignore facts unless they fit your agenda?

As an aside, how do you know which coaches Peet, Lockers, Tommy and Wane have exchanged ideas with? Do you manage their diaries? It's common knowledge that several coaches, including international ones from both codes, have been to Wigan training sessions as well as reciprocating by inviting our coaches over to their clubs.

The simple fact is you have less than no idea just how many different coaching environments each of our staff has been exposed to. And that's before I even get onto shared experiences with other sports.

Here's an idea: why not see how they actually go this year before criticising? I'd be interested to know your thoughts should we win the title. I'm betting you still wouldn't admit to being wrong.
Spot on!!! 👋👋👋👋

I also can’t believe you are citing Madge and Noble as examples of players and coaches being exposed to other ideas. Noble left 14 years ago and Madge who was only here two season anyway left 12 years ago.

So there you go. To find any evidence of any exposure to ideas outside other than Briers you have to go that far back which simply underlines my point.

Peet’s first head coach role came in 2011 when he was under 18’s coach and so him and the other coaches were not contemporaries of Madge and Noble anyway but even if they were I’d suggest it being that long ago makes it pretty irrelevant.

As to exposure to other coaches you are now literally making stuff up. You say I have no idea of their diaries? Well neither do you but if we stick to the facts we do know that none of them have any coaching experience outside of Wigan.
Tommy Leuluai was assistant coach for New Zealand during this world cup. That was under Maguire so you're wrong on both counts. Keep trying though Dave. You'll get something right eventually.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Adrian Lam wasn't here for a number of years and he was our coach. If you look at most organisations you can find links from inside, also outside appointments don't always work your always making an educated gamble.
I do think we will miss Briers though not because he's from outside our walls but because he was very good.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:58 am
DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Spot on!!! 👋👋👋👋

Tommy Leuluai was assistant coach for New Zealand during this world cup. That was under Maguire so you're wrong on both counts. Keep trying though Dave. You'll get something right eventually.
For what, 5 or 6 weeks?
pedro

Post by pedro »

he needs a far better season than last for me, I know its an unpopular opinion but he was average