Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Jonh

Re: 2024.

Post by Jonh »

pedro wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm he needs a far better season than last for me, I know its an unpopular opinion but he was average

If you are talking about Cust I agree.

He showed signs of real quality at times but didn’t do it consistently enough, sometimes being dominated by Smith who should be the junior partner of the 2.

He has all the skills, but I’d like to see him take on the line a little more and be more commanding.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Jonh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
pedro wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm he needs a far better season than last for me, I know its an unpopular opinion but he was average

If you are talking about Cust I agree.

He showed signs of real quality at times but didn’t do it consistently enough, sometimes being dominated by Smith who should be the junior partner of the 2.

He has all the skills, but I’d like to see him take on the line a little more and be more commanding.
+1
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:12 pm
Flash wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:58 am
DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:16 pm

I have not got an “Agenda” as you out it and it’s silly to suggest I have.

I also can’t believe you are citing Madge and Noble as examples of players and coaches being exposed to other ideas. Noble left 14 years ago and Madge who was only here two season anyway left 12 years ago.

So there you go. To find any evidence of any exposure to ideas outside other than Briers you have to go that far back which simply underlines my point.

Peet’s first head coach role came in 2011 when he was under 18’s coach and so him and the other coaches were not contemporaries of Madge and Noble anyway but even if they were I’d suggest it being that long ago makes it pretty irrelevant.

As to exposure to other coaches you are now literally making stuff up. You say I have no idea of their diaries? Well neither do you but if we stick to the facts we do know that none of them have any coaching experience outside of Wigan.
Tommy Leuluai was assistant coach for New Zealand during this world cup. That was under Maguire so you're wrong on both counts. Keep trying though Dave. You'll get something right eventually.
For what, 5 or 6 weeks?
Get a grip, Meds! Do you seriously believe he turned up at a world cup having never spoken to or discussed tactics with Madge previously? That's before we even get to the fact of the experience he's had playing under many different coaches. Do you think he closed his ears all that time to make sure he didn't learn anything? I know you like to argue for it's own sake but this is poor, even by your standards.

On to Briers: for all those arguing his coming from an outside environment was the reason he was a good coach, please outline these great influences. Steve Price maybe? Because he was a hugely successful revelation, wasn't he? Briers has not served under any coach who could even loosely be described as successful. If anything, certainly in terms of success, he has had a mediocre playing and coaching career. His short time at Wigan was probably as good as he's had.

The truth is that who you served under is not the defining characteristic that determines whether you become a good coach or not. If Peet goes on to be a successful coach it won't be because he served under Wane or Lam. It'll be because he had his own successful ideas and was able to implement them. Where those ideas come from...and even if they came from within Rugby League at all...is a complete irrelevance.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Over to you, Meds.

Try JFTB maybe? Or mention a few NRL players we should sign . . . I'm sure you've got templates all ready to go :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:22 pm
Tommy Leuluai was assistant coach for New Zealand during this world cup. That was under Maguire so you're wrong on both counts. Keep trying though Dave. You'll get something right eventually.
For what, 5 or 6 weeks?
Get a grip, Meds! Do you seriously believe he turned up at a world cup having never spoken to or discussed tactics with Madge previously? That's before we even get to the fact of the experience he's had playing under many different coaches. Do you think he closed his ears all that time to make sure he didn't learn anything? I know you like to argue for it's own sake but this is poor, even by your standards.

On to Briers: for all those arguing his coming from an outside environment was the reason he was a good coach, please outline these great influences. Steve Price maybe? Because he was a hugely successful revelation, wasn't he? Briers has not served under any coach who could even loosely be described as successful. If anything, certainly in terms of success, he has had a mediocre playing and coaching career. His short time at Wigan was probably as good as he's had.

The truth is that who you served under is not the defining characteristic that determines whether you become a good coach or not. If Peet goes on to be a successful coach it won't be because he served under Wane or Lam. It'll be because he had his own successful ideas and was able to implement them. Where those ideas come from...and even if they came from within Rugby League at all...is a complete irrelevance.
So how much time did he have coaching with NZ when he was either playing a season full of SL or did he attend sessions while he recuperating from his many injuries?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

We should avoid anymore Jobs For The Boys by signing these players Oregon Kaufusi, Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Davvy Moale, Griffin Neame, Joe Ofahengaue.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:27 pm We should avoid anymore Jobs For The Boys by signing these players Oregon Kaufusi, Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Davvy Moale, Griffin Neame, Joe Ofahengaue.
And charge shirt printing by the letter..debt free within a season or two if they bagged all of those.
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:25 pm

For what, 5 or 6 weeks?

So how much time did he have coaching with NZ when he was either playing a season full of SL or did he attend sessions while he recuperating from his many injuries?
Clearly (and no doubt deliberately) missing the point ;)
Wes

Post by Wes »

For what, 5 or 6 weeks?

Severely good post this👍
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:27 pm We should avoid anymore Jobs For The Boys by signing these players Oregon Kaufusi, Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Davvy Moale, Griffin Neame, Joe Ofahengaue.
:D :D :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐