Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
widdenoldboy

Re: 2024.

Post by widdenoldboy »

Jonh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
pedro wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm he needs a far better season than last for me, I know its an unpopular opinion but he was average

If you are talking about Cust I agree.

He showed signs of real quality at times but didn’t do it consistently enough, sometimes being dominated by Smith who should be the junior partner of the 2.

He has all the skills, but I’d like to see him take on the line a little more and be more commanding.
Agreed, being injured for long spells cut both ways for him and you'd have to mark him as average but an encouraging first season.
He did take the line on more v HKR in the first half but not so much in the 2nd (probably due to poor field position) and got smashed a couple of times, funnily enough the defender(s) didn't get a yellow :)
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

lot out of contract at end of season time to do a Warrington and rebuild
Wigan Warriors – 11

Mike Cooper (option for another year), Cade Cust (option for another year), Kaide Ellis (option for another year), Toby King (loan), Willie Isa, Patrick Mago (option for another year), Abbas Miski (option for another year), Ramon Silva (option for another year), Brad Singleton, Morgan Smithies, Iain Thornley (option for another year).
https://www.totalrl.com/every-super-lea ... -to-make/
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Keep Cust and Smithies, replace the rest on that list and also talk Powell into moving on
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

2024 is already looking like it could involve a major re-build. We'll probably need three new props and two backrowers before we even start to look at the finer details of the squad. A decent signing later this season could help a bit in one of these two areas. Hopefully Cust will develop and stay and King will find good enough form to avoid adding further problems.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jaws1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:26 am lot out of contract at end of season time to do a Warrington and rebuild
Wigan Warriors – 11

Mike Cooper (option for another year), Cade Cust (option for another year), Kaide Ellis (option for another year), Toby King (loan), Willie Isa, Patrick Mago (option for another year), Abbas Miski (option for another year), Ramon Silva (option for another year), Brad Singleton, Morgan Smithies, Iain Thornley (option for another year).
Whist I don’t disagree that some need to move on, where do we find these replacements.
pedro

Post by pedro »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:41 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm he needs a far better season than last for me, I know its an unpopular opinion but he was average

He showed signs of real quality at times but didn’t do it consistently enough, sometimes being dominated by Smith who should be the junior partner of the 2.

He has all the skills, but I’d like to see him take on the line a little more and be more commanding.
Agreed, being injured for long spells cut both ways for him and you'd have to mark him as average but an encouraging first season.
He did take the line on more v HKR in the first half but not so much in the 2nd (probably due to poor field position) and got smashed a couple of times, funnily enough the defender(s) didn't get a yellow :)
cant really say against HKR as no half back is going to have a good game behind a beaten pack which we were
jobo

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:55 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:41 pm

cant really say against HKR as no half back is going to have a good game behind a beaten pack which we were
That's the bottom line.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:24 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:27 pm We should avoid anymore Jobs For The Boys by signing these players Oregon Kaufusi, Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Davvy Moale, Griffin Neame, Joe Ofahengaue.
:D :D :D
All very well but with those surnames I might have to stick to Christian names if I want to shout abuse at them. :roll:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jaws1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:26 am lot out of contract at end of season time to do a Warrington and rebuild
Wigan Warriors – 11

this is the big challenge for us for next year and perhaps the couple beyond that, in terms of whether we are going to be realistically challenging for trophies

on here it is felt that there are 4-5 of the current players out of contract who shouldnt be offered new ones (that rises to 7/8 or 9 in some fans cases). We have lost Bateman from this seasons playing rosta and already know KPP is over to Oz next season.

however, look at the list of OoC players across SL. I genuinely dont think you could replace most of them if we were to lose up to 9 of those players with a player of equal or better quality from SL.

so we either retain more than the fans would want or we need to lose all the overseas players who are out of contract to be able to bring in some big names from Oz / NZ. From the list there are potentially 5 overseas players we could be losing. Ideally we would retain Cust (subject to form), so that we get some stability from a 1/2 back partnership and build around this for the next few years.

so over to Meds for his fantasy 4 picks to replace the potentially departing overseas players :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Wigan Warriors – 11

this is the big challenge for us for next year and perhaps the couple beyond that, in terms of whether we are going to be realistically challenging for trophies

on here it is felt that there are 4-5 of the current players out of contract who shouldnt be offered new ones (that rises to 7/8 or 9 in some fans cases). We have lost Bateman from this seasons playing rosta and already know KPP is over to Oz next season.

however, look at the list of OoC players across SL. I genuinely dont think you could replace most of them if we were to lose up to 9 of those players with a player of equal or better quality from SL.

so we either retain more than the fans would want or we need to lose all the overseas players who are out of contract to be able to bring in some big names from Oz / NZ. From the list there are potentially 5 overseas players we could be losing. Ideally we would retain Cust (subject to form), so that we get some stability from a 1/2 back partnership and build around this for the next few years.

so over to Meds for his fantasy 4 picks to replace the potentially departing overseas players :)
It's a head scratcher to be honest, plenty of NRL players on offer but not a clue who anyone is :oops: , looking at our ooc players again I think we should retain Cooper for another season and Singleton depending on their performances this year along with Cust and Smithies, replace the rest and Powel if possible, bringing in 4 from the NRL, Centre, 2 props (JWH still rumoured), Hooker & 2nd Row, I'll add some names just for consistency :D

Ben Trbojevic
Luke Thompson
Jayden Nikorima
Aaron Woods
Michael Chee Kam