Oliver gildart

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cherry toffee

Re: Oliver gildart

Post by cherry toffee »

Not surprised just hope it’s not here, got to draw a line in the sand somewhere to stop players getting a free hit at Australia
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It’s been a bit of a horror show his time down under. I certainly wouldn’t be looking to bring him back here. His body seemed to be failing him a bit prior to his exit and I can’t see that getting much better as the years go by. Now Bateman has gone, we’ve nobody left from the ‘Australia is my dream’ crew and while we will still lose players here and there, it doesn’t feel like there are a group of 4 or 5 mates all following each others lead, like Burgess, Gildart, Williams, Sutton and Bateman did. It’s been a real mixed bag for those 5 and presumably Leigh and Salford wasn’t the long term goal.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

apparantly got offers from leigh and cas looking fav for leigh
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

stevo38 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:00 pm apparantly got offers from leigh and cas looking fav for leigh
Are Leigh the new Warrington?
Seem to be able to sign who they want
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

At least, when and if he does come back to Leigh or some other club, he'll be one of a few who didn't come back injured. Of the top of my head I can think of John Bateman, Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess, Denis Betts and Tommy Leului. All came back needing long term treatment.
Then, from Australia, we signed up players like Joe Greenwood, Ritchie Mathers, George Burgess and, years back, Harvey Howard. All came back injured, needing treatment.
There were others who left Wigan but didn't come back here, players like Mark Flanagan, George Williams, Brian Carney and players who left and never came back at all, like Dave Bolton and John Gray.
Don't forget lads like Joel Tomkins and Karl Price, they came back from Union but were long term sickness also.
Ryan Hampshire and Iain Thornily, ex players re-signed but also both were long term injuries.
The list goes on I presume. What other club can claim to have restored so many players back to full fitness, or, to have recalled so many ex players back into their ranks for a second spell, hoping to re-create their former magic.
Only Sam Tomkins.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bill.inger wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:49 pm At least, when and if he does come back to Leigh or some other club, he'll be one of a few who didn't come back injured. Of the top of my head I can think of John Bateman, Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Dan Sarginson, Joe Burgess, Denis Betts and Tommy Leului. All came back needing long term treatment.
Then, from Australia, we signed up players like Joe Greenwood, Ritchie Mathers, George Burgess and, years back, Harvey Howard. All came back injured, needing treatment.
There were others who left Wigan but didn't come back here, players like Mark Flanagan, George Williams, Brian Carney and players who left and never came back at all, like Dave Bolton and John Gray.
Don't forget lads like Joel Tomkins and Karl Price, they came back from Union but were long term sickness also.
Ryan Hampshire and Iain Thornily, ex players re-signed but also both were long term injuries.
The list goes on I presume. What other club can claim to have restored so many players back to full fitness, or, to have recalled so many ex players back into their ranks for a second spell, hoping to re-create their former magic.
Only Sam Tomkins.
You're not wrong it's almost perverse this weird obsession with re signing players none bar Tomkins,and let's be fair he took a couple of years to find his form too but none really shine when they come back I'd sooner the club try a fresh face rather than go back to a player who's seen fit to go in the first place.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:07 pm It’s been a bit of a horror show his time down under. I certainly wouldn’t be looking to bring him back here. His body seemed to be failing him a bit prior to his exit and I can’t see that getting much better as the years go by. Now Bateman has gone, we’ve nobody left from the ‘Australia is my dream’ crew and while we will still lose players here and there, it doesn’t feel like there are a group of 4 or 5 mates all following each others lead, like Burgess, Gildart, Williams, Sutton and Bateman did. It’s been a real mixed bag for those 5 and presumably Leigh and Salford wasn’t the long term goal.
The one thing i'd say about Gildart compared to the others was his attitude in his final year at Wigan didnt seem right to me (i could be wrong but that was my perception). All the others wanted to go to Oz, and got their wishes, but continued to play hard week in week out at Wigan, with Gildart it felt like he was protecting himself to go to Oz

Now out of the 5 i would also say that 3 were successful (or still are) in Oz too. Williams and Batemen both went well over there and Sutton is still there. Gildart and Burgess would both probably be considered as flops when it comes to their time over there, and with Burgess IMO because he went too soon.

From a club perspective, yes, hopefully thats the end of the migration to Oz. Yes, we may lose the odd player, but the current crop dont seem to be making the same sort of noises as the group you mention. Hopefully we can retain (where its appropriate) players, and not seemingly have the turnaround of players with aspirations of down under or RU
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Let's hope for now at least the NRL beady eye has turned towards Billinge Hill into the shire and seems to be looking a bilbo baggins (dodds) and no doubt Gollum for recruitment in the next year or two
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:00 pm Let's hope for now at least the NRL beady eye has turned towards Billinge Hill into the shire and seems to be looking a bilbo baggins (dodds) and no doubt Gollum for recruitment in the next year or two
😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MadMaxWarrior

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

Would rather have King.
Gildart hasnt had a good season since the England test matches against New Zealand and Im sure in a interview he said the shoulder he had damaged needs constant monitoring/physio.... no thanks