Oliver gildart

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
EagleEyePie

Re: Oliver gildart

Post by EagleEyePie »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:51 am King is a right centre, Gildart plays on the left. I don't see the reason for re-signing Gildart when King could do the right centre job for us. There's a whole season to work that one out.

Wardle is our left centre and must surely stay.

There will be other clubs interested in Gildart, let him go there.
Gildart has played right centre for us before. The last 5 games of the 2018 season he partnered Manfredi on the right edge while Sarginson was on the left and did a pretty good job. He also played for England on the right. I think it's down to preference but Williams was mostly a lefty until he went to the NRL.

I think he'd be more than capable of playing on the right edge for whatever club decides to sign him, but it shouldn't be us. We've got so much evidence that it doesn't work that you'd have to start questioning people's sanity if we re-signed another former player.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:52 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:51 am King is a right centre, Gildart plays on the left. I don't see the reason for re-signing Gildart when King could do the right centre job for us. There's a whole season to work that one out.

Wardle is our left centre and must surely stay.

There will be other clubs interested in Gildart, let him go there.
Gildart has played right centre for us before. The last 5 games of the 2018 season he partnered Manfredi on the right edge while Sarginson was on the left and did a pretty good job. He also played for England on the right. I think it's down to preference but Williams was mostly a lefty until he went to the NRL.

I think he'd be more than capable of playing on the right edge for whatever club decides to sign him, but it shouldn't be us. We've got so much evidence that it doesn't work that you'd have to start questioning people's sanity if we re-signed another former player.
We'd be insane to resign Gildart. He was very vocal a out moving to the NRL and must have had a hand in that trend being prevalent at Wigan.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The only real question to ask is "Is he better than what we have at the moment?" Looking at King, just about anyone would be better. (Excepting Gelling, obviously.)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:36 pm The only real question to ask is "Is he better than what we have at the moment?" Looking at King, just about anyone would be better. (Excepting Gelling, obviously.)
There should be no question at all, he has had his time and it is over for him at Wigan
craigo

Post by craigo »

Gildart back ?. No thanks.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:22 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:36 pm The only real question to ask is "Is he better than what we have at the moment?" Looking at King, just about anyone would be better. (Excepting Gelling, obviously.)
There should be no question at all, he has had his time and it is over for him at Wigan
Agreed.
I’d rather give a chance to a young lad from the academy than bring gilly back.
Hopefully send out a message to future players that we will no longer welcome you back with open arms if you go to the NRL
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:16 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:22 pm
Agreed.
I’d rather give a chance to a young lad from the academy than bring gilly back.
Hopefully send out a message to future players that we will no longer welcome you back with open arms if you go to the NRL
Indeed, we did it to Charnley but then allowed others back, it just doesn't make sense
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

What is King doing so badly, genuinely interested in your thoughts?
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Jonh wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:02 am
I’ve been thinking this from what I’ve seen of him he isn’t doing to bad at all just a player settling in in my view
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Jonh wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:02 am
For me the jury is still out,Wardle to isn’t setting the place on fire but so far Marshall,apart few are at present,I suppose the issue with King is his form of the last few years which has been ropey to say the last and he’s not really looking towards Frenchneither which is my main bugbear when we have a winger that even in this weather is very capable of getting us off our bums.

So time yet and hope both are just settling in but room for improvement